Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

A well-written article about the question. Here's a short blurb from it:

Why Are Believers So Hostile Toward Atheists? (http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/149419 - broken link)

"It's absurd to look at someone expressing anger, and assume that anger is therefore the only emotion they ever feel. I've read plenty of angry atheist rants (heck, I've written them myself), and the authors have
always written elsewhere about their deep delight, pleasure, and gratitude in life. In fact, gushing, purple-prose, Carl Sagan-esque wonderment at the magnificence of the universe is so common among atheist writers, it's almost a cliche. (No, that stuff doesn't make it into the mainstream media as much. Anger makes catchier headlines, and sells more newspapers.)"

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,343 times
I don't sense this to be true - at least not on this forum. Believers on this forum tend to be quiet and it is the atheists who seem to be the most vocal. I think the reason for this is the believers simply can't contend with the logic presented by atheists.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I don't sense this to be true - at least not on this forum. Believers on this forum tend to be quiet and it is the atheists who seem to be the most vocal. I think the reason for this is the believers simply can't contend with the logic presented by atheists.
I actually agree with you here to a point. I believe that more and more Christians are toning down their faith and it is REALLY becoming a "personal belief." They don't care if you are going to hell (if one existed), if you "know" Jesus or if you're gay. Many of them don't even believe the bible should be taken literally or care whether Jesus was god, is god, was just a man or some bum on the street. They find something workable within their faith and feel quite content minding their own business and not interested in the least to "go into all the world and make Disciples of all men." They recognize that to bring a literal reading of the Bible to the table in the face of insurmountable reasoning, logic and facts is like bringing a plastic knife to a war.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,343 times
Another thing, in public, at work, in your neighborhood, people don't ever seem to discuss this. I think each person doesn't want to risk being impolite. Also, religious people might not want to have their children hear anything that contradicts the church message - so having a discussion with an atheist risks the religious kids becoming "corrupted".

Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Default You know....

Some people have no shame. That right wing commentator's comments about Elizabeth Edwards was completely classless and uncalled for.

Yet another arm chair atheist expert, or in her case a non-christian expert.

Of course if you snap back at someone for saying such vile things, you're gonna get labeled as angry and bitter....or better yet they may start whining about intolerance. It there's one thing certain Christians are good at, it's being offended. Never mind how offensive they themselves may be.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
You're kidding, right? If I had a dollar for every time I've seen a believer here say atheists are just angry at god, or similar comments, I'd be a rich woman.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
The faithful, don't really have faith, so the seek to silence anyone who points out the absurdities riddle in their faith.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
More like vice versa. Why are atheists so hostile to believers?
??

Atheists led the crusades?

Atheists stand outside of soldier funerals with signs saying "F*g soldier dead! Praise god!"?

Atheists stood 3 blocks from Ground Zero saying "No 9/11 Mosque! No victory mosque!"?

Atheists stood at their podiums as President of the United States and said "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under god."

Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM

418 posts, read 1,089,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
More like vice versa. Why are atheists so hostile to believers?
I agree 100%

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
There is more than enough hostility on both sides to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism