U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 PM

47 posts, read 28,896 times
Default Issac Asimov on Hell - "slandered God by inventing Hell"

Excerpt from wikipedia article on Asimov:

The same memoir states his belief that hell is "the drooling dream of a sadist" crudely affixed to an all-merciful God; if even human governments were willing to curtail cruel and unusual punishments, wondered Asimov, why would punishment in the afterlife not be restricted to a limited term? Asimov rejected the idea that a human belief or action could merit infinite punishment. If an afterlife of just deserts existed, he claimed, the longest and most severe punishment would be reserved for those who "slandered God by inventing Hell".

Isaac Asimov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM

724 posts, read 845,881 times
Interesting, but how can one slander something that doesn't exist? If I say that Mickey's ears are too big, have I slandered Mickey Mouse?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM

5,966 posts, read 2,737,460 times
"the longest and most severe punishment would be reserved for those who "slandered God by inventing Hell".

Sounds very reasonable to me. Thanks for posting - I did not know he said those things.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 AM

15,415 posts, read 7,151,991 times
How thought - provoking that your heart sings at the thought that there really is severe and prolonged punishment for those who do not share the beliefs which you (of course) hold. Which are apparently that the prolonged severe punishment is just a fabrication.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:20 AM

449 posts, read 265,850 times
It is impossible to slander God. Only people can feel slandered.

Inasmuch as God is part and parcel of us and that we are God, the only slander that can occur is when a person's concept of God (usually an angry old man upstairs) is offended, and then that person claims that God is offended or slandered.

If you take a very old Judaic concept, just our existence is an affront to God. But then IT still loves us very much despite our "stinking like open sepulchers."

I suspect that God enjoys the hell out of our rather hilarious antics, our bizarre thoughts and perceptions, and with our greatly handicapped brains trying to figure out just a tiny fraction of the Infinite.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:30 AM

15,415 posts, read 7,151,991 times
I liked that post.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,033,113 times
Issac Asimov on Hell - "slandered God by inventing Hell"

Actually, I believe it is the other way around, humans are quite capable of creating Hell, no gods are necessary.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM

229 posts, read 160,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertao View Post

If an afterlife of just deserts existed, he claimed, the longest and most severe punishment would be reserved for those who "slandered God by inventing Hell".

Now that would be ironic, God works in mysterious ways

I wonder what they would think of the excuses and threats they LOVE to broadcast to the whole world then, such as "God's ways are not our ways" and "How dare we have the nerve to question God", if they were on the receiving end of it themselves

Only thing is, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

Last edited by TheUnknown67; 01-25-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM

48 posts, read 29,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
How thought - provoking that your heart sings at the thought that there really is severe and prolonged punishment for those who do not share the beliefs which you (of course) hold. Which are apparently that the prolonged severe punishment is just a fabrication.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hel_bibl.htm

There are over 162 references in the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) that warn of Hell.

Over 70 of these references are attributed to Jesus.

According to the gospels, Jesus spoke more on Hell than on any other subject. However, many skeptics and religious liberals suggest that the frequency with which Hell appears in individual gospels may reflect the beliefs of their authors or of the authors' faith group more than that of Jesus.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 665,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertao View Post

The same memoir states his belief that hell is "the drooling dream of a sadist" crudely affixed to an all-merciful God; if even human governments were willing to curtail cruel and unusual punishments, wondered Asimov, why would punishment in the afterlife not be restricted to a limited term? Asimov rejected the idea that a human belief or action could merit infinite punishment. If an afterlife of just deserts existed, he claimed, the longest and most severe punishment would be reserved for those who "slandered God by inventing Hell".

The inventor of hell is the inventor of god. No wonder both are filled with revenge and punishments for non compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism