Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Your beliefs are irrelevant when it comes to being treated with basic respect and civility.
Oh, I wish I could agree, but I definitely don't. Life has taught me just the opposite. Some religions (one might argue all) teach that outsiders don't deserve the same respect or basic respect or rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
No, atheists certainly don't have to show respect towards other religions. But it's a nice thing to do. Just like no one has to open the door for others, or say please and thank you, but they're nice things to do.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Oh, I wish I could agree, but I definitely don't. Life has taught me just the opposite. Some religions (one might argue all) teach that outsiders don't deserve the same respect or basic respect or rights.
This is definitely true and in that case I would say the same applies. No, the members of one religion do not have to show respect to members of other religions or to non-religious people, but it's certainly a nice thing to do.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
I'm an atheist married to a Catholic, I do attend Mass with her (I earn time to go do stuff by myself without her and the kids in trade) and I do sit or stand with everyone else as a sign of respect; however I never kneel.

It's really not a big deal and the homilies (think thats what Catholics call them) can be interesting and do have good life lessons even if you took out the religious trappings.

When you're married to a religious person as an atheist, both parties have to understand there will be give and take. I give by going to Mass with her once a week, and take by trading that time for stuff I want to do.

Also should point out when we registered for the parish I was asked if I was Catholic and was treated just as kindly after I said "no" before they asked. Not everyone is out to get atheists.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
The most important characteristic for me to have is tolerance.

As long as others are civil towards me, and treat me with respect, I should return the same to them--no matter what their personal beliefs are.

I can even disagree with those beliefs, but I should do so in a respectful and civil manner. There's something to be said for having "good manners".

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
In accordance to Jesus' philosophy I treat others in the exact same way that I want to be treated.

The thing is that my religion / philosophy works for me, but I know that what works for me might not work for others.
Unlike those atheists and theists who are convinced that the truth is on their side I do not insist that everyone must agree with me.
I guess people who believe (or for the atheists are convinced) that they can only be right are 'insulted' when people, for whatever reason, disagree with them.

I mean why show respect for others when you're convinced that you can only be right, right?
Ya got it wrong there tricky dude, atheists are not necessarily convinced that truth is on their side, but, logic is; and they are fairly well convinced truth is not on the side of the theists. I personally suspect that truth is a lot closer to the atheist than the theist- mythology seldom wins out over the rational mind.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:

As long as others are civil towards me, and treat me with respect, I should return the same to them--no matter what their personal beliefs are.

I can even disagree with those beliefs, but I should do so in a respectful and civil manner. There's something to be said for having "good manners".
Look, I'm southern. I agree with you. Just pointing out that many religious people don't behave as you asserted.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Empathy. It means you can be civil and understanding without necessarily agreeing with the other side of a discussion. Learn it.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
I follow a simple rule: I'm nice and respectful to Christians who're nice and respectful to me. If I were to butt heads with your typical fundamentalist, things would be different. I give the attitude I get from people.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:

I don't have a problem with good manners, treating others respectfully, etc... What I do have a problem with is people demanding to be treated respectfully because they feel their religion warrants that I treat it respectfully. There is a tremendous difference between being civil to fellow human beings and being forced to submit to some idiotic philosophy lest I hurt someone's feelings for not abiding by their lunatic ideas.

I'm not going to sit outside a church and protest that I disagree with their ideas of everything from morality to science. That would be rude and disrespectful for no reason other than carrying a personal, malicious vendetta. But, if I'm in a crowd of people and everyone says "Let us pray," why should I be forced to submit, to respect that, to go along with it as though it's ok to interject your personal opinions and beliefs onto someone else?

It is just as rude, in my opinion, to call for a group prayer, a "Thanks Be to God," or anything else of the sort when you don't know the personal opinions and ideas of the people you're with! You mean I should just sit there and be polite while other people cross my boundaries? But, I should never, ever, ever cross theirs because it might be considered rude?

Wrong. I refuse to submit to religion and this idea that it has some sort of moral superiority, an ethical greatness, or a constant demand for respect. If the religious aren't bothering anyone I'm not going to jump in and disrespect them out of blatant disregard. But, I'm not going to respect their religion by submitting to their caustic methodologies just because "That's the right thing to do." Because it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism