Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
How is lack of belief like a negative number? Everyone starts off with no belief.
Because you start off at zero and can move towards either belief or lack of belief. Positive or negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Lack of belief is zero belief. It isn't like a negative number.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Lack of belief is zero belief. It isn't like a negative number.
Sure it is.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I don't know, how would they?
They could have a better understanding of language or epistemology than you do. Since you claim to not be able to know anything, there's nothing you can say to disprove this and be consistent.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Since these things can't be known, I highly doubt it.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,823 times
You know, this TKramar person need sto just STOP. Petty. War of the words don't make someone believe what you want TKramar. Twisting words to make it sound like we are saying one thing—when it is clear someone is saying something else. Word games from assinine God lovers don't make us for 1 second believe you. It just pisses us off, and makes it easier for us to say...I am so glad I don't know that guy or know a religion, or knows a "God" as being the way it is. Or opinion of religion is just like someone's opinion of liver—you either like it or you don't. You can't put a definition of what we belive in one word. Because one's belief system is PERSONAL. Wheather you walk with your "God" or walk the earth in an oblivian. It is OK. Labels are really irrelevant. You walk with your "God" doesn't make you any better than any one that disagrees with you. Until you change that attitude, you are a hypicrit of your "God" words and wants. And yes I read your "great book" and I understand it.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:55 PM

What are you talking about, Sonny? I'm not a God lover. I don't even know whether or not God exists. He may, he may not. I can't know.

If you read my "great book", then you've read the Encyclopedia Britannica. I've NEVER read the Bible, and have no intentions of ever reading it.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyclark View Post
You know, this TKramar person need sto just STOP. Petty. War of the words don't make someone believe what you want TKramar. Twisting words to make it sound like we are saying one thing—when it is clear someone is saying something else. Word games from assinine God lovers don't make us for 1 second believe you. It just pisses us off, and makes it easier for us to say...I am so glad I don't know that guy or know a religion, or knows a "God" as being the way it is. Or opinion of religion is just like someone's opinion of liver—you either like it or you don't. You can't put a definition of what we belive in one word. Because one's belief system is PERSONAL. Wheather you walk with your "God" or walk the earth in an oblivian. It is OK. Labels are really irrelevant. You walk with your "God" doesn't make you any better than any one that disagrees with you. Until you change that attitude, you are a hypicrit of your "God" words and wants. And yes I read your "great book" and I understand it.
You misrepresented his position quite a bit, but one thing rings true: "War of the Words". That is a description of the general debate in the previous posts.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 789 times
Dogmatism of any kind frustrates me, be it religious or atheist. In my mind the only correct answer to "Do you believe in the existence of a God or Gods?" is "I don't know". I do conceed that it is probably more likely that there is not a higher power, but dealing in absolutes of any kind is antagonistic and pointless...like the irony in that statement? heh,

I do believe in evolution and until someone else alters this theory with even more compelling evidence then I will continue to believe in Darwins theory of evolution. I also believe that as humans we do not know everything and that we should question everything.

Science is tested by measurements and comparison, but not everything that exists can be measured either because they are too complex or currently impossible to measure. eg. a pain threshold or a emotional response. Because it cannot be measured and calculated and tested by science does this mean we cannot prove it's existence? I feel happy but is science telling me I am not? Science measures an increased heart rate and a release of endorphins. Is this happiness? How can science claim this definitively?

On another note, to the religious zealots out there. If you introduced me to God this afternoon, I would accept that he exists but that does not mean I would choose to worship and follow him. There is very little in the bible save for "love thy neighbour" that I would choose to believe and live by.

If this became the case, then what would I be? Agnostic is the best answer for me. But I am open to other suggestions.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendle View Post
In my mind the only correct answer to "Do you believe in the existence of a God or Gods?" is "I don't know".
Nice post but I wanted to address this statement. By answering "I don't know" to this question, you are saying you don't know if you believe, rather than you don't know if "God(s)" exist.

Belief and knowledge are different. Belief is confidence in the truth of something, while knowledge is sometimes called "justified true belief". You can believe something that's false, and you can believe something that you don't know. Some would argue that all we have are beliefs, as we can never 'know' if a belief is true, only believe that it is (e.g. are we actually just brains in vats dreaming about this world?).

Agnostic is accepting that we can't know: a claim about knowledge.
Atheism is lacking theistic beliefs: a claim about belief.

I am an agnostic atheist. My guess is you are too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism