Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Since he says it is probably more likely that there isn't, then he probably knows whether or not he believes.

This wouldn't apply to everyone though. Some people may not know whether or not they believe. They would also be neutral where belief is concerned. Not positive or negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Since he says it is probably more likely that there isn't, then he probably knows whether or not he believes.

This wouldn't apply to everyone though. Some people may not know whether or not they believe. They would also be neutral where belief is concerned. Not positive or negative.
Still, these people are technically atheists, as atheism includes both "neutral" and "negative" in regard to theistic beliefs. Atheism in its basic form is merely a lack of positive belief in any theism. Only a particular type of atheism, Strong Atheism, is a 'negative' belief (or positive belief that no god(s) exist).

I'm aware that you don't like that definition, but it's necessitated by the differentiation between agnosticism and atheism. People mistakenly use atheist and agnostic mutually exclusively, to refer to strong atheist and weak atheist. The problem with that:

Agnosticism does not mean lacking belief in either direction, it means accepting that knowledge about god(s) is unattainable. This means that agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, but rather completely independent factors in a person's world view. It also means a person can be an agnostic theist ("Knowledge is unattainable but I am confident god(s) exist anyway"), or a gnostic atheist ("I know for a fact there are no god(s)").

Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Exactly. I'm an agnostic atheist. It is the most logical stance as far as I am concerned.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Still, these people are technically atheists, as atheism includes both "neutral" and "negative" in regard to theistic beliefs. Atheism in its basic form is merely a lack of positive belief in any theism. Only a particular type of atheism, Strong Atheism, is a 'negative' belief (or positive belief that no god(s) exist).

I'm aware that you don't like that definition, but it's necessitated by the differentiation between agnosticism and atheism. People mistakenly use atheist and agnostic mutually exclusively, to refer to strong atheist and weak atheist. The problem with that:

Agnosticism does not mean lacking belief in either direction, it means accepting that knowledge about god(s) is unattainable. This means that agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, but rather completely independent factors in a person's world view. It also means a person can be an agnostic theist ("Knowledge is unattainable but I am confident god(s) exist anyway"), or a gnostic atheist ("I know for a fact there are no god(s)").
No, neutral people are not atheist. People who disbelieve are atheist.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
No, neutral people are not atheist. People who disbelieve are atheist.
Now don't start that again.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Now don't start that again.
We don't see eye to eye on the matter, but that doesn't mean either of us are going to give way.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
We don't see eye to eye on the matter, but that doesn't mean either of us are going to give way.
You don't see eye to eye with the dictionary, as you don't accept its definition of 'disbelief'. I prefer to use the dictionary as the authority on definitions because language's main purpose is to convey meanings to others, and common definitions are vital to that. You're free to define anything as anything, but you must understand the problems associated with that when trying to communicate with others.

But, except for conveying meanings to others (and ourselves), words are arbitrary and therefore irrelevant, and I have no more interest in a perpetual semantics battle with you.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 AM

We disagree that atheism is an ACTIVE disbelief, a CHOICE to not believe, whereas simply not being exposed to the thing does not address belief one way or the other.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I mean, go outside and look at the world around you.

Do you think there is a divine force that made all of this possible and keeps it running smoothly. If so, then you believe in supreme beings.

Or do you think it is simply natural forces at work and there are no supernatural forces present? If so, then you are an atheist.

How can you not reach one of those two conclusions?
Probably by standing on firm ground. An agnostic can be an atheist or a theist or "apathetic agnostic" meaning a type of Secularist. An agnostic can also simply be agnostic because their current and righteously faithful belief is that they are agnostic and everyone else is and always has been and will likely always will be "ungnostic". If you confess "ungnosis" you are agnostic, if you pretent to "gnosis" you are antagnostic.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
We disagree that atheism is an ACTIVE disbelief, a CHOICE to not believe, whereas simply not being exposed to the thing does not address belief one way or the other.
You misunderstand the meaning of the prefix a-. It does not mean 'against' or 'actively denying', it simply means without. Therefore atheism is simply, literally, without theism.

Therefore everyone who is not a theist, even those who have never heard of theism, are without theism. thus they are atheists.

prefix a - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism