U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times

Advertisements

I mean, go outside and look at the world around you.

Do you think there is a divine force that made all of this possible and keeps it running smoothly. If so, then you believe in supreme beings.

Or do you think it is simply natural forces at work and there are no supernatural forces present? If so, then you are an atheist.

How can you not reach one of those two conclusions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 AM

3,160 posts, read 6,943,288 times
"How can you not reach one of those two conclusions?"

Millions of people do just that. Hundreds of millions of people all over the world wake up each day and look at the world around there and don't presume a "higher being" had anything to do with it.

Because people disagree with certain theories does not make them wrong.

And there are infinite shades of gray that do not fit neatly into the two schools of thought you mention. I know plenty of people who don't believe in any "supernatural forces" who are emphatically not atheists.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,632,029 times
Sometimes it's okay to just say "I don't know."

Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,009,171 times
Sometimes I think that there is some force in the universe that created everything - not like God or anything - just a force or some being or something. Other times, I just think what an amazing universe we have evolved into from gases and energy.
I really don't know how it all started. I'm okay with knowing that I will never know the answer. To me, it's not really that important. If there is some sort of supreme being - great. If not - great. It's really not going to affect how I live my life. I'm still going to try to be the best person I can be - regardless.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Hundreds of millions of people all over the world wake up each day and look at the world around there and don't presume a "higher being" had anything to do with it.
I am one of those people, and that's what makes all of us atheists.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Sometimes I think that there is some force in the universe that created everything - not like God or anything - just a force or some being or something. Other times, I just think what an amazing universe we have evolved into from gases and energy.
I really don't know how it all started. I'm okay with knowing that I will never know the answer. To me, it's not really that important. If there is some sort of supreme being - great. If not - great. It's really not going to affect how I live my life. I'm still going to try to be the best person I can be - regardless.
Dewdrop, it sounds like you might agree with Einstein, who said he believed in Spinoza's version of god. He also did not like the randomness assumptions that are a part of the theory of quantum mechanics as developed by his fellow German scientists in the 1930's. He said, "I don't believe god plays dice with the universe", or something like that.

Maybe you are a true agnostic, Dew.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,094,774 times
You can't prove the non-existance of a divine being either. Logical people identify themselves in one of four ways, not 2 (gnsotic/agnostic, theist/atheist).

You can lean towards belief or non-belief, however it's irrational to say that you're gnostic anything due to lack of evidence.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
You can lean towards belief or non-belief
So which way do you lean, Csiko?

You can't lean forever. Which side will you fall on?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,732,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I mean, go outside and look at the world around you.

Do you think there is a divine force that made all of this possible and keeps it running smoothly. If so, then you believe in supreme beings.

Or do you think it is simply natural forces at work and there are no supernatural forces present? If so, then you are an atheist.

How can you not reach one of those two conclusions?
First the universe doesn't keep running smoothly. With a star being extinguished every second, millions dying every year in pointless agony.. To believe this, you must be a suzie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7iXASIOdA

These two options are not the only options. There is the deist, alien, dream, idea, computer simulation and human created the universe position.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM

3,160 posts, read 6,943,288 times
I can't stand religious zealots and their insistence of a God and Noah's ark and all that nonsense. I don't know what happens after death ( I strongly assume "nothing,"), but I don't know for sure. So instead of calling myself an atheist, I prefer to say agnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism