U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,330,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Oh- I'm so sorry! That dang Facebook. I think sometimes it causes more problems than good. I have posted a few things on there, but I usually say stuff that the average bear has no clue about. So, I haven't really seen a lot of "anger" coming from my FB friends and family. I did make some off the wall comment at Christmas time that one of my former classmates just jumped all over like a pitbull on steak. I very kindly said, "Thank you for your input" and deleted him from my friends list.
I'm just shocked that absolutely everything I do, except private messages (I HOPE!!), are being plastered on everyone's pages. How annoying for me and them.

Anyway, you're OP was about church going. I think most of my previous church friends have "hidden" me from their pages so I won't be going back to those churches!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,808,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I'm just shocked that absolutely everything I do, except private messages (I HOPE!!), are being plastered on everyone's pages. How annoying for me and them.

Anyway, you're OP was about church going. I think most of my previous church friends have "hidden" me from their pages so I won't be going back to those churches!
I still have a few people that I attended church with on my FB. They are the ones who are steadfast in their belief, but they are also very loving, kind, respectful, and tolerant of other people's views.

You know- you can change your settings on FB. I think there's an option to make groups that can only see your postings. And, I'm pretty sure, that nobody can see your private messages.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,499,827 times
Even though, I haven't attended church since I was a teen (30+ years ago) I do sort of miss that socialization. I suppose the fact that I am not a very social person to begin with, don't make friends easily, and don't have a lot of outside activities magnifies the lack of "congregation".

I have considered attending a Universalist Unitarian "church" in my area just for the socialization and networking but am still hesitant of any even quasi-religious gathering. I realize Unitarians are, or can be, atheists and I am sure I would be welcomed, but...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,330,872 times
I've changed everything I can. It's still getting through. I'm gonna have to get over it, I guess.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Even though, I haven't attended church since I was a teen (30+ years ago) I do sort of miss that socialization. I suppose the fact that I am not a very social person to begin with, don't make friends easily, and don't have a lot of outside activities magnifies the lack of "congregation".

I have considered attending a Universalist Unitarian "church" in my area just for the socialization and networking but am still hesitant of any even quasi-religious gathering. I realize Unitarians are, or can be, atheists and I am sure I would be welcomed, but...
I know what you mean. I don't want to get trapped into the "herd" mentality again... no matter what the affiliation is.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I've changed everything I can. It's still getting through. I'm gonna have to get over it, I guess.
Well, at least now you can just be yourself and not worry about constantly looking over your shoulder or maintaining lies.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,361,860 times
Miss church?! I still can't get far enought away from it!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM

9,923 posts, read 7,040,546 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reminder. When I get nostalgic, I forget the reality of the past sometimes. That happened to me too. No matter how hard I tried, the women of the church just wouldn't let me in their "club". Then, when my husband's best friend was killed in a car wreck (both had grown up in the very same church) they didn't even send a card and nobody called to say they were sorry. That's when I quit.

I guess I might be missing a social life of gathering with like-minded people. It is very difficult to find people who share my views out in the "real" world. And, it's scary to even cast a line, so to speak. I worry about scrutiny and the backlash that comes from people opposing my belief or lack thereof. It would be good to have an atheist "church", but then there's always that risk... I dunno.
Try finding an atheist or humanist meetup group in your area. You might find community there.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM

4,407 posts, read 3,624,870 times
I get far more enjoyment, intellectual stimulation, and social connection from attending a meditation group. There is also a group of atheists locally who meet socially. So no, I don't miss church whatsoever!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,252,047 times
Quote:
I do... sorta. I miss having the extended "family" that goes along with church. I don't miss the guilt brought on by these people for having a brain and using it though. "Recovering" religious folk- Do you miss some aspects of church? Be honest.
Heck NO! The catholic Churches my mother tried to take to was for me sooooooooooo boring. I just couldn't sit still and listen the the priest drone on and on in there sermons. I'd typically get yelled at at least once for being disruptive. As for socialization I will say CCD had some socialization qualities. But again for the most part boring. To be honest once I got into my teens I and most of my friends which I socialized with rejected our respective Churches/synagogues (didn't have mosque around at that time...actually we still don't in the town I grew up in) and instead of going to church we hung out and played outdoors or by the time we got cars rode around discovering the wider area around us. Of course I won't deny we did play a lot of Nintendo (I'm a Gen Xer) as well.

To be honest now-a-days I rather go out and hike or do some type of recreational activity on a Sunday morning. I would say I reach a feeling of "spirituality" that just was not there in church for me. And of course I'm obviously not bored to death doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism