Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So is this the bit where we keep giving you an answer to your question of "Where did that come from" and every time we do, you just repeat..."but where did THAT come from" until we can no longer give you an answer to "Where did that come from". At which point, you will foolish proclaim that, as we can't give you answer to your "where did that come from" question, the only conclusion must be that 'God did it'.

So what you are actually saying is....

No matter what anyone says, no matter what objective, verifiable evidence is presented to me, I will ignore it and keep chanting that 'God did it'
That pretty much sums things up perfectly

Just remember that "God has always existed" when the question of where He comes from is asked. Why? Just because.....that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Just remember that "God has always existed" when the question of where He comes from is asked. Why? Just because.....that's why.
It's mind-boggling trying to work out how it is that they have no problem whatsoever in accepting that their god has 'always existed' yet have such apparent difficulty in accepting that the universe too, may always have existed.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
Let's start with how was the earth formed.
I will say God formed it.
And every response you give I will continue to say God formed it.
When we get down to matter itself.
I will still say God formed it.
If you can handle the scientific research you should get to Boson's someday.
So what forms a Boson and what makes a Boson excited ?

Village People no navy jokes,please!
Quote:
So is this the bit where we keep giving you an answer to your question of "Where did that come from" and every time we do, you just repeat..."but where did THAT come from" until we can no longer give you an answer to "Where did that come from". At which point, you will foolish proclaim that, as we can't give you answer to your "where did that come from" question, the only conclusion must be that 'God did it'.

So what you are actually saying is....

No matter what anyone says, no matter what objective, verifiable evidence is presented to me, I will ignore it and keep chanting that 'God did it'.

Fair enough! At least we know that it's a waste of time trying to discuss the matter with someone who is obviously more than happy to wallow in ignorance.Ignorance can be excused. Self-imposed ignorance is inexcusable.
Yeah, it's fairly easy to see through theist double-talk. In fact, I was fairly confident when I first began conversing with him that he would run around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
As far as I know, we don't have a physicist on this forum to explain quantum physics to you. We are all capable of searching the internet and posting the current scientific understanding of this subject (which is highly speculative right now due to difficulty in actually testing these ideas). But, I suspect, and your subsequent posts seem to confirm this suspicion, that you are not really interested in the current scientific knowledge as you have already decided that you, personally, have the 'answer' to these questions. However, the following posts by you reveal that your 'answers' are simply assertions of your beliefs with no evidence to support them.
Nobody here is an expert in physics but I'm sure many of us, myself included, have done extensive reading on the subject. He's not the only person, as he seems to imply, that has read about matter and quarks and so on. I just didn't arrive at the same conclusion as he did; I arrived at the conclusion that we have some speculative ideas and that science is working on them. That's all. No magic involved. I just don't see the point of arguing a question that does not have an answer right now. I also don't plan on falling into the trap of pulling out my reference books and using my google-fu to 'demonstrate' knowledge for this guy in a detailed and well-thought out post only to receive a glib dismissal. That's too much effort since he's already proven that he's not interested in science; he already 'knows' the answers to his questions.

On another note, quantum physics is so complex that even the experts in the field don't completely understand it. In fact, these concepts are so foreign to our way of thinking that it limits our ability to discuss these concepts using language. Now, some popular science writers do a good job explaining them to the lay person, such as Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene. But the only way to grasp these concepts is through the language of mathematics. Kelly obviously does not know what he thinks he knows. Not even the greatest scientists know.

It seems pointless to get into an infinite regress argument, which you rightly pointed out. At this point, I'm not even sure he knows what he's arguing. It has been explained over and over that science reaches points where we don't know the answer and are still researching. He wants to insert god in the gaps but won't provide any evidence; he just asks the same question of "What is the source of that?" as if our current lack of knowledge somehow makes his pre-determined answer a viable idea.

When taken to task for his magic god answer he responds vaguely with the idea that god is 'the source' and says that I'm not arguing against his version of god. So, when I reasonably ask for him to explain his concept of god, he completely ignores the question and basically starts back over with his bosons and quarks and "Well, what powers them?". And, for good measure, he throws in personal attacks; when a poster gets to the point that he repeats questions already addressed and personally attacks, I know he's just frustrated by losing the debate.

At any rate, I have no problem with Kelly's personal beliefs. I just recommend he stops using these arguments for god in their current form to convince other people, especially atheists. First, he really doesn't seem to have as much understanding of the subjects he is arguing as he thinks he does. Second, he doesn't seem to understand that assertions do not equal proof and that proof requires evidence. Third, he doesn't seem comfortable with saying "I don't know" and forces god as the answer without that all important evidence.

So, Kelly, perhaps you should strengthen your argument by hypothesizing god as the source, define god's attributes and define what he actually does as the source. Then, test your idea to see if you can find evidence for this godly source. Now, that would be impressive! You should get into contact with MysticPhd as he's fairly far along in what you seem to be advocating. In fact, I don't rule out Mystics god as a possibility; although, I remain atheistic to Mystic's god as I don't think it has sufficient proof. But, it might be a good starting point for you.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 AM

65 posts, read 212,751 times
I just strongly recommended the book God: The Failed Hypothesis. How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist in another thread. Please let me so so again here. Don't waste your time trying to have an intelligent discussion with braindead xian trolls who only want to proselytize, rather than learn or know the truth. In their feeble little minds they "win" by wasting your time, which every good atheist knows is all we have!

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 04-04-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
It's mind-boggling trying to work out how it is that they have no problem whatsoever in accepting that their god has 'always existed' yet have such apparent difficulty in accepting that the universe too, may always have existed.
I have a problem with the idea that anything is timeless. Thus, nothing exists.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have a problem with the idea that anything is timeless. Thus, nothing exists.
YOU have a problem with EVERYTHING mate!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
YOU have a problem with EVERYTHING mate!
Not really. I have a pretty peaceful life. I don't worry about "the meaning of life" and I don't let other people talk to me and impose their opinions on me.

I also don't "freak out" if someone has a different opinion and seek to stamp it out.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 PM

251 posts, read 209,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowulz View Post
I just strongly recommended the book God: The Failed Hypothesis. How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist in another thread. Please let me so so again here. Don't waste your time trying to have an intelligent discussion with braindead xian trolls who only want to proselytize, rather than learn or know the truth. In their feeble little minds they "win" by wasting your time, which every good atheist knows is all we have!

Moderator cut: edit
I win by showing people like you know nothing of the science they claim to be a part of.
Just drones.

First of all,it has been very fun reading the responses to my previous posts.
What you did not seem to understand is I was observing the responses to gain information about those that have a claim of something that I was able to demonstrate they had no knowledge or ability in the subject at all.
Responders had a preconceived notion when they came across certain words and responded to those words.
The word they most wanted to respond to was the word God.
I understand why and where their knowledge comes from about this word.
And I also understand why they have a deep seated desire to refute anything associated to the word God.
So I will name the source of the power in question as Hidden Raw Energy.
Hidden Raw Energy is an appropriate name.
Things like Quarks were named after their discoverer.
And I am not the one that has done all the ground work,I am just the objective observer.
And these observances are based on the observed Laws Of Thermodynamics.
The objects in question are named Fermions and Bosons.
Fermions and Bosons act like other particles and sub atomic particles.
They move and spin which is an example or energy being transformed.
Because of The First Law of Thermodynamics
"The first law of thermodynamics is often called the Law of Conservation of Energy. This law suggests that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms. Also, it can not be created or destroyed. Thus, the total amount of energy available in the Universe is constant. Einstein's famous equation (written below) describes the relationship between energy and matter:
E = mc2"
So the question remains.
What system is the energy being transformed from or by?
Onto The Second Law of Thermodynamics
"Heat cannot be transfer from a colder to a hotter body. As a result of this fact of thermodynamics, natural processes that involve energy transfer must have one direction, and all natural processes are irreversible. This law also predicts that the entropy of an isolated system always increases with time. Entropy is the measure of the disorder or randomness of energy and matter in a system."
With heat only being able to travel in one direction it is fair to say it is not heat that is the source of energy holding matter together.
And the energy is not random.
To the contrary energy that is observable emmiting from matter is in the form of precise measurable vibrations.
Next evidence is The Third Law of Thermodynamics
"The third law of thermodynamics states that if all the thermal motion of molecules (kinetic energy) could be removed, a state called absolute zero would occur. Absolute zero results in a temperature of 0 Kelvins or -273.15° Celsius."
This law also shows that the source of energy is not heat.
If the source was heat then matter would disappear at these temperatures.
The next thing to address would be Electromagnetic Energy.
And again there has to be a source first before electromagnetic energy is created.
Matter does not fall apart because it is brought closer or further away from magnetic north for instance.
And electricity is in and of itself a form of energy.
Electricity can transform one energy to another but that still does not answer what is the source of the Hidden Raw Energy.
Energy is described as Potential Energy or Kinetic Energy.
Potential Energy is described as energy that is within matter.
Kinetic Energy is described as energy being transformed.
Matter has a measurable release of energy thru vibration and movement as with Fermions and Bosons which shows Kinetic Energy is occurring.
The matter does not change unless another form of energy is exerted on it.
There is radioactive matter that changes into other forms of matter.
Most eventually stabilize to become a non radioactive element.
Radioactivity destroys and there is differing amounts scattered around the world and there is no evidence that it affects surrounding matter other than in a destructive manner.
Seeing as there is no known source of energy that is exciting the Fermions and Bosons it is best to just give the energy it's most appropriate name.
Hidden Raw Energy
Now onto the arguments of the religious!
""ARGUMENTS AGAINST ATHEISM - “ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE"
The Argument | The Refutation

""Following on from the argument that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of God, it is sometimes asserted (both by theists and particularly by agnostics) that the claims of atheism are negated by the idea that “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”, and that asserting the non-existence of something without any hard evidence is just an argument from ignorance.
It is alleged that asserting non-existence in the absence of evidence is the equivalent of an argument like the following: although I have no evidence that my dog can fly, you have no evidence that my dog can not fly; therefore, I am justified in believing that my dog can fly.
The Refutation Back to Top
Although the oft-quoted phrase “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence” seems self-evident at first sight, on closer inspection it is not quite so obvious. Consider, for example, the question of whether there is any butter in my fridge: if we do not actually look in the fridge the absence of evidence clearly does not amount to evidence of absence of butter; if, however, we DO look in the fridge and see that there is no butter in it, then we have the best possible evidence of the absence of butter. We cannot prove that there is no God, but we can safely conclude the He is very, very improbable indeed.
- Richard Dawkins (1991)""

""The important consideration here is that an atheist does not believe with complete certainty that God does not exist given the apparent lack of evidence, only that this is more likely to imply that God does not exist. Although not definitive proof, it is just one more source of evidence to add to all the others. Unfortunately, we are not given any indication by theists of where to look for God, and which fridge to open.""

I am not a theist,but the place to look is Fermions and Bosons.
As I outlined above there is evidence using the Laws Of Thermodynamics that there is Hidden Raw Energy.

"Furthermore, the assertion that God does not exist is qualitatively different from the assertion that my dog can fly. This is because a flying dog is the sort of thing that can be supported with evidence (if a dog could fly, we would expect to find evidence of the dog zooming through the skies, for example), whereas one would actually expect a non-existent thing to produce no evidence whatsoever. Thus, in the case of non-existence, the absence of evidence is exactly what we would expect to observe."

These arguments are so cute.
Because there is evidence to support my claims of Hidden Raw Energy.
And the evidence is supplied by The Laws Of Thermodynamics and observation of Fermion and Boson evidence.

Last edited by KellyJSmith; 04-09-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 AM

65 posts, read 212,751 times
I am an agnostic atheist. Atheism is about belief. I do not believe in God/gods. That makes me an atheist. Agnosticism is about knowledge. I do not know if there is or is not any god/s.

I can say that particular gods do not exist with 100% certainty because the contradictions in their description make it impossible.

I don't know nor was I advised what the moderator saw fit to cut/edit from my previous post. I do know that the bible doesn't refer to God as Hidden Raw Energy in any translation I am familiar with.

Kelly, you can present an argument for Ignosticism, but that doesn't make your god the real deal. I think the following quotes sums it up pretty good, so I will end my discussion with you with them;

"Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits." - Dan Barker

"Christianity: The belief that some invisible cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree." - Unknown author
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism