Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM

298 posts, read 596,128 times

Advertisements

I don't know any Atheist so, some of the Atheist community might can answer my questions. I was just wondering...what if or when an Atheist kills someone (or what ever) and they don't get caught, does it make it easier for them to do it again...because they don't have anyone to answer to in the afterlife? And what about morals,do they have any? You know, like, do they sleep around everywhere they can or molest children without any fear of the hereafter. This is just a couple of examples, there are more but, you get the idea.

Like I said, I don't know any Atheist. I'm not trying to start trouble or trolling or anything like that , I'm just curious.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
We have morals and act morally, at least most of us, most of the time. There are other reasons for doing good other than the fear of a god.

Below is a copy of my basic values and morality:

1) Strive to use your best judgment. Realize that these guidelines are aspirational in nature. Their intent is to guide and inspire toward the very highest ethical ideals. There may be times when the most appropriate course is to supercede one of these principles, so use your best judgment. Practice moderation - you need not run faster than you have strength.

2) Strive to limit the harm one causes. Be aware of the possible consequences of your actions, and make a reasonable effort to not cause unnecessary injury or obstruction or damage. This includes harm to one's self, others, all creation and the environment. This does not mean that you should seclude yourself so as to limit the chances of doing anyone harm and it is understood that by living you will cause some harm - you have to eat something, your body fights bacteria, you will produce some waste products, etc. Be reasonable with one's expectations on this point.

3) Strive to benefit one's self, others, and the environment. In as much as it is possible, and with respect for the desires of others (i.e., don't help when your help is reasonably not wanted), help all to live healthily and adaptively.

4) Strive to be trustworthy. Excepting times when honesty puts others in danger, seek to be honest in your dealings with others. Hold in confidence information that should be kept confidential. Act with integrity and be true and honest with one's self.

5) Strive to take appropriate responsibility for one's actions. Keep your word and uphold your commitments. Repair the damage your actions may have caused. Sincerely apologize to, and if possible reimburse, individuals you may have injured. Know the laws and what is expected of you. Once you have done what you can to right your wrongs, forgive yourself and move on.

6) Strive to be fair and just. Inasmuch as possible practice equity. Be aware of and try to limit the influence of one's biases and prejudices.

7) Strive to respect and protect the rights and dignity of one's self, others, and all of creation. It is not enough to ensure that you are not mistreating others, you must strive for social justice for humans and the humane treatment of animals. All people have a right to self-determination. Special safeguards may be necessary to protect the rights and welfare of persons or communities whose vulnerabilities impair autonomous decision making.

8) Strive to be patient and forgiving. Try to have patience with one's self, others, and anticipated events in life. Free yourself of the bondage of resentment and prolonged disappointment.

9) Strive to gain understanding. Knowledge enables one to make better use of that which is available and helps one to successfully adapt to one's environment.

10) Strive to love, show empathy, and be compassionate. We are a social species and for much of our lives are dependent on one another. It is important to our well-being and mental and emotional health to have strong relationships with others. Loving is satisfying to the soul and beautiful. Empathy and compassion can calm arguments and disagreements.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
It's a misconception that atheism and hedonism are intertwined. Atheists generally don't have an afterlife belief, although it doesn't necessarily follow that a person with no god/afterlife belief would indulge in immorality. I would also argue that moral actions based solely on the fear that x will happen after they die is in actuality, immoral. Atheists, like many theists, lead moral peaceful lives because such behaviors are more beneficial to oneself and those around them. Most people(with the exception of sociopaths) have an evolved sense of empathy which is what makes someone(irregardless of religious belief or lack thereof) feel good when they do good things and bad when they do bad things.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
I don't know any Atheist so, some of the Atheist community might can answer my questions. I was just wondering...what if or when an Atheist kills someone (or what ever) and they don't get caught, does it make it easier for them to do it again...because they don't have anyone to answer to in the afterlife? And what about morals,do they have any? You know, like, do they sleep around everywhere they can or molest children without any fear of the hereafter. This is just a couple of examples, there are more but, you get the idea.

Like I said, I don't know any Atheist. I'm not trying to start trouble or trolling or anything like that , I'm just curious.
Let me ask you this - is the only reason that you don't murder people, sleep around, molest children, steal, etc. because you are afraid of being judged after you die? If so - then I can understand why you would ask such a question. If not - what is it that stops you from doing these things?

I could never hurt a fly. I have slept with far fewer people than many of my more religious friends. I have never cheated on my husband. I have absolutely no desire to molest children. I have no desire to cause physical or emotional harm to anyone. If I hurt someone's feelings or even think I might have - I usually can't sleep for many nights because of it. I would never commit a crime.

It is not fear of God that keeps most people from doing awful things. It is not fear of God that makes me want to be a good person. It is my parents, society, my own conscience, love, and so many other things that all go into making me who I am. I want to be a good person. It makes me feel good to be a good person.

If the only reason that you don't molest children and rape and kill people is because you are afraid of God in the afterlife - then by all means - KEEP YOUR FAITH! Because with out it - you would scare the living daylights out of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism