Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,988,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think music for deaf people is even better.

What kind of music would you like, if you could hear and weren't deaf?
I don't understand. I can hear and I'm not deaf. Although, I have a friend and an uncle who are both deaf, but can hear music when it's turned up really loud- like concert or club level. My friend prefers "black" music... rap, hip-hop, R&B.

And this relates to religious preference for an Atheist how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,646,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
While I agree to a point that most religions require the use of some form of imagination or blind faith. I don't think it makes the religions ways or practices any less meaningful. For example...

Christians - The majority of the Christian community practice a community oriented activity. Either giving back to their own community or bringing food and clothing to another country. Most also believe that the body is sacred and should not be poisoned and live a healthy lifestyle. Is this wrong?

Tell me, how many atheistic organizations do you know of that bring food, clothing or even help build a well in other less developed countries?

Most religions believe that you are your fellow mans keeper. Meaning that their well-being is of your concern. Is this wrong?

If you put aside what you might call the imaginary part of the religion, most of their practices are quite amazing.
False premise.

Most wars were perpetuated by christians as well. Should we blame them for wars? (which I do not btw, human nature trumps religion every time).

If you wish to assign the majority of social altruisms to religion are you also willing to accept all of the negative connotations? If not its cherry picking at best and hypocrisy at worst.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
Religion just gives mankind a great excuse to make war. No other is so good as 'God is on our side'. Supernatural justifications are the best.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Quote:
Let's try again. I was wondering out of all of you atheists, are there any of you on here that think any religious philosophy is more correct on some of it's teaching than the others. If you are totally against religion and have only negative things to say, please don't post. This is for the atheists who are religious, but don't believe in a deity.

Atheism - the disbelief in a deity or God(s)
That's like asking a vegan what their favorite cut of meat is, or an avowed heterosexual what preferred homosexual act is, or more likely it's just re-baiting the hook while trolling.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,317,740 times
Would you agree that there is no "right" belief system? That neither, theist or atheist is 100% right? After all, who really knows? We all think we know, but lets be honest... there is no way to know for sure. So, in the end we are all wrong on some level. HAHA

Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,807,735 times
Your opinion: which one has it "right"

UHHHHHH, I suspect that would be (D) None of the above

Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,696,761 times
Quote:
Would you agree that there is no "right" belief system? That neither, theist or atheist is 100% right? After all, who really knows? We all think we know, but lets be honest... there is no way to know for sure. So, in the end we are all wrong on some level. HAHA
So we can't know that any particular belief is 100% absolutely correct. That doesn't mean that all beliefs are equal. We can still know that an incorrect belief is wrong on it's own (lack of) merits.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
Quote:
No, I would not agree that there is no "right" belief system.

There are dozens, if not hundreds or even thousands, of religions, most of which are premised on the existence of one or more deities.

Of the religions that are not premised on the existence of deities, most are premised on the existence of unseen and unobservable spiritual entities, souls, energy forces, reincarnation, or related concepts.

There are one or more belief systems that either assert that it is impossible to state with any confidence whether any deities exist, or that more simply assert that no deity or deities exist.

A maximum of one of these belief systems is "right" in the sense that it accords with reality.

Which one that is may never be proven conclusively, but that doesn't mean there isn't one that is right.

By contrast, you have claimed in this or another thread that any belief system that cannot be definitively disproved is not false. Or, in other words, any belief system that cannot be definitively disproved is true.

You see where the problem is?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 AM

741 posts, read 1,283,522 times
Which book about Cinderella has it right? In some versions she has two evil stepsisters, in others three. Now if it WAS a real story, which would be right? Because one has to be more right!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Which book about Cinderella has it right? In some versions she has two evil stepsisters, in others three. Now if it WAS a real story, which would be right? Because one has to be more right!
Good point.

An interesting sidelight is that all the characters in the Grimm fairy tales that are stepmothers, stepsisters, etc., are actually real mothers and sisters in the original, but the brothers bowdlerized them because they thought the stories would be too horrifying to people if the evil things being done were presented as being done by the characters' real biological mothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism