U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM

149 posts, read 225,102 times

Advertisements

I've considered myself agnostic for a while. Never looked too far into any of this but after lots of reading on this forum I'm very curious as to what you guys think...

I can't say 100% that there is or isn't a God or supreme beings, but personally I feel that there is like a 0.0001% chance God exists. I think of how I was raised as a Catholic and it makes me sick and It makes me shake my head when I hear religious crap but I also think it would be ignorant of me to say there ISN'T... because there is no proof of it or lack there of.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM

651 posts, read 1,276,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamam311 View Post
I've considered myself agnostic for a while. Never looked too far into any of this but after lots of reading on this forum I'm very curious as to what you guys think...

I can't say 100% that there is or isn't a God or supreme beings, but personally I feel that there is like a 0.0001% chance God exists. I think of how I was raised as a Catholic and it makes me sick and It makes me shake my head when I hear religious crap but I also think it would be ignorant of me to say there ISN'T... because there is no proof of it or lack there of.

Thoughts?
A lot of atheists agree with your position. Personally, I call myself an agnostic atheist as the words address different concepts. Agnosticism/gnosticism addresses the knowledge you have about a subject while atheism/theism addresses the beliefs you hold. So, I cannot claim absolute knowledge about the existence of gods but, like you, I think the chance of any gods existing is slim. Therefore, I am agnostic with respect to god. This lack of knowledge on my part leads to my lack of belief in gods, atheism, as I cannot believe in things that have no evidence. Does that make any sense?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM

39 posts, read 34,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamam311
because there is no proof of it or lack there of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160
Therefore, I am agnostic with respect to god
you should be more decided and learn to say THERE ISN'T, believe me I know what I am saying

Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks maia! And the other response. ..?? What???

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM

651 posts, read 1,276,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftFn View Post
you should be more decided and learn to say THERE ISN'T, believe me I know what I am saying
I get what you are saying and I've given this subject a lot of thought. I am claiming agnosticism as I do not have any knowledge of the existence of god. I am also an atheist as my lack of knowledge necessarily leads to lack of belief. I guess, it's more of an intellectual acknowledgment that the concept of god cannot be disproved, as logic dictates, and I can't rule it out as a possibility - no matter how slim.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,640,057 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I always say the greatest mystery of life is death, and one day we will all know the answer of "why we exist" and "who made the universe".

Year by year as I observe people around the world I come to my own conclusions about what created the universe and everything in it and how little religion has to do with anything. Mankind existed long before organized religion was created and without organized religion the world will not collapse. I think humans are too egocentric to evolve into a universal spirituality.

The Monotheism of Christianity evolved from Judaism which was tribal and I suppose that came to be because 2000+ years ago there were no scientific discoveries that could prove how long mankind had been on planet earth.

Just live your life and don't worry about the man made institution called religion. If God exists you'll find out one day.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Sounds like you have things pretty well sorted out but you still need to eliminate the last vestiges of the fear that is the hold on believers.

You think there is a 0.0001% chance of some god thing existing, then you can consider yourself 99.9999% an atheist, and that doesn't leave much room for believing fairy tales.

Welcome, life as an atheist is liberating.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Interesting! !!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM

56 posts, read 80,938 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
You have a choice of 3 irrational beliefs:

1. The universe is eternal (uncaused) and has always existed. This is the foundation of most Eastern religion.

2. The universe was created out of nothing by an eternal being who is himself eternal (uncaused). This is the foundation of most Western religion.

3. The universe was spontaneously created out of nothing (uncaused)without any precedent cause. This is the foundation of most Secular religion.

Number one seems to have been disproved by modern cosmology and the big bang theory. The universe had a beginning, so it is not eternal or "God" in itself.

Numbers 2 and 3 have no objective proof, but are supported by various testimonies, books, history, etc. Your choice is ultimately based on "faith" in the premise you choose.

I could explain why I have "faith" in premise 2, but that is another forum

Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
You have a choice of 3 irrational beliefs:

1. The universe is eternal (uncaused) and has always existed. This is the foundation of most Eastern religion.

2. The universe was created out of nothing by an eternal being who is himself eternal (uncaused). This is the foundation of most Western religion.

3. The universe was spontaneously created out of nothing (uncaused)without any precedent cause. This is the foundation of most Secular religion.

Number one seems to have been disproved by modern cosmology and the big bang theory. The universe had a beginning, so it is not eternal or "God" in itself.

Numbers 2 and 3 have no objective proof, but are supported by various testimonies, books, history, etc. Your choice is ultimately based on "faith" in the premise you choose.

I could explain why I have "faith" in premise 2, but that is another forum
Or, the OP could go with another belief entirely, since you admit your three choices are irrational.

4. Nobody knows the origins of the universe, so the rational thing to do is say "I don't know".

It is okay to not know if god exists, and because of that lack of knowledge, choose the atheist position of disbelief. It works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism