Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times

Advertisements

[quote=AlGreen;18740386]
Quote:
Do you know all Christians? Your statement certainly doesn't describe me. I'm human, and I completely understand why an atheist chooses not to believe.
Who wants to be the first to call BS on this statement?

Quote:
But quite frankly, I couldn't imagine being atheist myself. The thought alone terrifies me, to be honest.
Which negates your previous statement, hence the BS call.

Quote:
When have either "proved" themselves to anyone who wasn't 4 years old?
That would seem to be the same time frame of proof of belief as for your god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
Agnosticism is the only path for the rational.

Most atheists claim to be persons of logic and science. Yet many of them deny the possibility of a deity with the same zeal as an evangelist proclaims it's existence. Being sure something doesn't exist - wow. A theological "all in".

That's
what I call faith.
Well, that's a common mis-conception Bubba!!! It is not the case that most Atheist "deny the possibility of a diety" You're missing the point. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to assume that this diety actually exists. it isn't a denial but a disbelief. There is NO proof of any of the myriad of dieties that have been conjectured over centuries. Christianity ain't that special or that new and novel, it produces the same lame quasi-diety without an iota of evidence that it actually exists. It pretends to be "the new and improved diety in a box" but cries foul when someone points out that the christian god is only slightly less believable than Donald Duck.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Needing courage to acknowledge that there is no God implies that there is impending harm in being an atheist. In today's progressive world, it seems as if being a Christian promises far more injury--so what courage is it that I'm lacking? Or are you trying to call me weak?
This is not true, atheists are determined in the USA worse than muslims or gays.
Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing what realities I've denied and what freedoms my faith is keeping me from. What bad has my belief caused? I'm quite happy and prosperous, if I may say so, and I believe God is responsible for that.
Your prosperity is due to your own efforts and only the church has fooled you into thinking the man in the sky is somehow responsible, for this they charge you 10% of your self acquired wealth as commission for telling you this lie.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Which one of my posts will be deleted next?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Your prosperity is due to your own efforts and only the church has fooled you into thinking the man in the sky is somehow responsible, for this they charge you 10% of your self acquired wealth as commission for telling you this lie.
The church does not charge anyone anything. I give willingly. A lot of people likely attend every Sunday and never drop a dime in the collection plate.

The church I give to puts back a great deal of what they receive into the community. There are a lot of disadvantaged members that are often given assistance when needed.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
In the end it matters not, but what a miserable existence of running in fear. They have even organized groups in their quest to escape reality, a.k.a. religion.
This right here is what I'm not comprehending. According to what you're saying, my beliefs should have me afflicted and suffering. Instead, my faith has brought me so much peace that I know comes from God himself. The only thing I'm running from is eternal death that a life of denying God promises.

As far as organized groups go, like many blacks, I was raised in the Baptist church. But today, my faith is about my personal relationship with God, not adhering to the rules of any set denomination.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
The one's where you refuse to follow the rules

Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
This right here is what I'm not comprehending. According to what you're saying, my beliefs should have me afflicted and suffering. Instead, my faith has brought me so much peace that I know comes from God himself. The only thing I'm running from is eternal death that a life of denying God promises.

As far as organized groups go, like many blacks, I was raised in the Baptist church. But today, my faith is about my personal relationship with God, not adhering to the rules of any set denomination.
Driven by the fear that when you die, that it, finished. Thus this relationship (Stockholm Syndrome come to mind) chasing the fantasy of a reward when you die. That is the fools errand you are on today.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The church does not charge anyone anything. I give willingly. A lot of people likely attend every Sunday and never drop a dime in the collection plate.

The church I give to puts back a great deal of what they receive into the community. There are a lot of disadvantaged members that are often given assistance when needed.
Many, if not most do. A friend ran a printing business in a small town not far from here. I stopped in one day to visit and have a cup of coffee. He was printing an order for the biggest church in town. It was a number of different forms, each on a different color paper.

He was printing dunning letters for parishioners that were not 'tithing' to the standards of 10%. Like any collection agency, they started out as a "reminder" to some pretty harsh demands, five versions in all.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
My suspicion is that you would get deleted because you are a troll! I rarely, maybe once or twice a year go into the jeezus thing group, I am not a christian, there is no legitimate reason for me to be there, I also do not believe in trying to convert anyone to my perception of truth, the christians we meet in this particular forum are particularly ill-mannered and normally ill-informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism