U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,400,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Didn't you say you are divorced?
Technically, I'm still married. She didn't show for the divorce hearing, so the judge never granted it.

But I didn't make any changes in my life after joining this church at her request. Nothing changed for me. I didn't do anything any differently than I had before. No reason to.

What's being divorced or not have to do with the statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nothing changed. My outlook didn't change. My personal feelings on the subject didn't change. My lifestyle didn't change.
Quote:
Technically, I'm still married. She didn't show for the divorce hearing, so the judge never granted it.

But I didn't make any changes in my life after joining this church at her request. Nothing changed for me. I didn't do anything any differently than I had before. No reason to.

What's being divorced or not have to do with the statements?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 AM

741 posts, read 1,068,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I guess I did it. The girl of my dreams when I was 20 just happened to be Mormon. If you don't believe, going through the motions shows the one you love that you'll sacrifice for them to be with them. I didn't pretend to believe, I still make it perfectly clear that I don't. But I go sit with her in church on occasion, learned up on LDS beliefs and try to be more or less respectful towards them (though I'm sure plenty here would argue that...sorry, this forum is my outlet so my real life doesn't get too complicated )

We're working on our 13th year of marriage today and although it's caused plenty of problems, we have plenty of joys and good memories to compensate.

I know it sounds corny, but there is nothing greater in the world than True Love. Even religious institutions fall before it, eventually.
So you went to church and went through the motions. But do you think that means you actually converted?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That's an explanation? Getting married didn't change the way I approached religion at all. Didn't change how I lived my life at all. I still did whatever the hell I wanted. Church didn't want me going to bars--I still went. Church didn't want me working Sundays--they're not paying my bills, so I continued to work Sundays. I refuse to let religion change anything in my life. Sorry if that's hard for you to understand.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 AM

16,104 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Quote:
That's an explanation? Getting married didn't change the way I approached religion at all. Didn't change how I lived my life at all. I still did whatever the hell I wanted. Church didn't want me going to bars--I still went. Church didn't want me working Sundays--they're not paying my bills, so I continued to work Sundays. I refuse to let religion change anything in my life. Sorry if that's hard for you to understand.
Basically you did not convert.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
So you went to church and went through the motions. But do you think that means you actually converted?
If religion is essentially meaningless, it's a waste of time to do, UNLESS....

I guess there is a *special* hell waiting for people like me.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Basically you did not convert.
I joined her church and underwent the necessary rituals...went through the motions.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,653,807 times
I'm not a religious person. I'm not even spiritual. But if I were, I would find it offensive that someone could be so casual about converting. Religion is not a pair of shoes that you change depending on the occasion. It should be a big part of who you are. The same is true if you're not religious at all. That too should be significant. If I were Jewish and someone converted just to marry me, I would not find that at all flattering and I'm amazed so many people don't take issue with it when their spouse or fiancée does it.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
I joined her church and underwent the necessary rituals...went through the motions.
But.... but.... but...... you just said you didn't change anything

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,366,929 times
it's like so many parents get the kids baptised and do all the rest of the rituals just to have them fit in with society...it's fake behavior..and sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism