U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why shout into the wind? I still do it. Even if I'm the only one listening. It's like talking to myself out loud--which I do.
My worked with the mentally ill for many years, and they have mannerism's that are easily recognized. Walking down the street with earphones on to drown out the 'voices' and talking back (out loud) to the 'voices' in their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,418,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My worked with the mentally ill for many years, and they have mannerism's that are easily recognized. Walking down the street with earphones on to drown out the 'voices' and talking back (out loud) to the 'voices' in their head.
I am talking to myself though, not some "voices". There aren't any voices in my head. There are THOUGHTS in my head, but they are silent until I voice them.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM

2,877 posts, read 3,304,252 times
I'm not conservative in the slightest. I've always considered myself a critical thinker as political ideology strikes me as naive. I'm a 'green' of sorts- infinate economic growth isn't compatible with a planet of finite resources. Socially i'm pretty liberal though, but no more so than most europeans.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 AM

5,678 posts, read 6,782,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I don't see what's odd about equating atheism with liberalism. The fact of the matter is that in the US, the "liberals" have been more accepting of those with non-Christian beliefs than the "conservatives". As a result, atheists are more likely to find themselves at home among the leftists.

However, those who deconvert as older adults are probably more likely to continue holding some of their political beliefs, which would result in a higher percentage of right-wing atheists among that group.

It's really interesting seeing political discussions unfold among the nonreligious. I've seen some of the same mud-flinging and logical fallacies as I would see in any random P&OC thread, but the discussions tend to be much deeper. With religion out of the way, I strongly believe that some core fiscal issues would finally be solved; as it is now in the US, politicians are content with dividing people over petty religious-based social issues.

As for my political beliefs, I'm a fiscal centrist. However, if I were forced to pick an extreme, I would choose a strong fiscal right-wing government over a strong fiscal left-wing one.
I began questioning the religion in which I was heavily indoctrinated (Baptist) before I was a teenager. I took a stand and 'officially' de-converted in my early teens. Several years later I volunteered to do my 'patriotic duty' in the fight against Communism (yes, another atheist in a foxhole; surprisingly they refused to put 'Atheist' on my dogtags, opting instead for 'No Preference'...which really didn't matter much, since those of us in the specialty I selected didn't wear them anyway).

Decades later, I still abhor any any policies that smack of Communism, I identify most closely with Libertarian/Tea Party positions. I favor minimal government and very conservative fiscal policies.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 11,485 times
I live in California and it seems everyone who is liberal is also an atheist (especially in San Francisco). However, polls have shown that a significant percentage of liberal democrats are Jewish. A lot of Muslims are also liberal because the federal-level liberal democrats are all about being PC and diverse. My family and I are conservative catholics and think liberalism and atheism is a disease throughout the state.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM

68 posts, read 20,704 times
I am socially liberal, but fiscally ignorant for the most part. I think too many people choose a side without having any idea what they are talking about. I will admit that i am ignorant to how fiscal policy works the same way I am ignorant to how the universe began. I'd rather people admit that they don't know than to act like they know.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,743,488 times
I'm a filthy libertarian.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjames425 View Post
I live in California and it seems everyone who is liberal is also an atheist (especially in San Francisco). However, polls have shown that a significant percentage of liberal democrats are Jewish. A lot of Muslims are also liberal because the federal-level liberal democrats are all about being PC and diverse. My family and I are conservative catholics and think liberalism and atheism is a disease throughout the state.
How is diversity a bad thing? Diversity brings different ideas to the table. Another culture might do something that we may have never thought about. Diversity is only bad when a particular group is closed minded to the ideas of others. For example working with extreme Muslims or extreme Christians will never work because they are so entrenched in their dogmatic beliefs that any conversation with them will just cause friction between them and any other group.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk422 View Post
How is diversity a bad thing?
There is no diversity in a flock of mindless sheep that merely follow. Show a little diversity and you might be the wolf of reason.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSA View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anyone admit to being "fiscally liberal" in any conversation. Ever.

Why is that?

And what is fiscally liberal to you people? Is it paying taxes? Earmarking certain taxes for the public good? And if it's only a matter of "degree" insofar as how much we're taxed, and how much goes to helping the poor, then what crosses the line into "liberal"?
I know I said I'm ignorant to being fiscally conservative or liberal, but I think I might be fiscally liberal after thinking about it. I think that people are born with initiative, some having more than others. A person who is very rich isn't going to stop working hard to succeed just because he is taxed more. I think all people deserve the opportunity to succeed. A child born in a poor family is less likely to succeed that a child born into a rich family where both children have the same intelligence and passion to work hard. Programs like WIC and food stamps help give families the boost they need to get their life going. The problem that most people point out is that some people don't have a desire to work hard and abuse the gov't programs designed to help them out. The thing is if these programs help enough people to succeed it's worth it even if some leech off of the programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism