U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 23,001,491 times
Reputation: 6692

Advertisements

"much more ghastly to me than they used to."

I regret that phrase, but it's too late to edit it. In my teens I found many atheists admirable and quite interesting. There are still many atheists like that for me. This phrase makes it sound like I always found them "ghastly" or that some of them have changed and become ghastly to me. In reality the atheists I'm describing are atheists I was not aware of back then whereas the atheists I liked I still like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2011, 01:24 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,291,789 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
but proving that such beliefs are unfounded to the flock is going to take a lot more than that.
I know, but that is not a reason to not do what I did. We must start somewhere. So I started somewhere. Your attitude, although understandable, is a little more defeatist than I like to be personally. Every little helps for a start. Doing the right thing is still doing the right thing even if you do not get the results you would like too.

So all in all I did what I did and am happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,291,789 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well you should
You worry about how you operate, I will worry about how I operate. Fair deal. Anecdote is bad enough. Not bothering to even get the anecdote and just saying the priest will "probably" agree... tells us literally nothing. So no, I will not be dealing in probably in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is just legalism to defend your actions.
Not at all. You are the one claiming that I did something wrong because I was not aware of the conditions of the distribution of the free crackers. You brought it up first therefore, not me. I am merely pointing out that since the people giving out the free samples chose not to make me aware of the conditions, they are in the wrong not me. You brought it up first, I am just showing why your point is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I am a disbeliever in Thor or Vishnu as an atheist would say, but I'm not determined to prove there is no Vishnu or Thor.
Nor am I, as they are not falsifiable claims, nor have they presented anything investigatable, so why would I? Claiming however that there is a literal difference between a cracker before and after a certain ceremony however is, and so it is possible to investigate the claims.

As I said, an analogy to homeopathy is good. They make genuine claims about these things. Claims which we can AND SHOULD investigate and show to be false. Just because they might moan and have tantrums that we should not be investigating their claims is no reason not to.

The rest of your post I will not reply to, I will just repeat the rule I think is a good one to learn in life: Insults demean only the insulter NEVER the target. Ever. If you need to use them in conversations like this then this says more about you than about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,679 posts, read 6,788,431 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't understand why you would feel the need to lift yourself up by insulting and denegrading something that has deep symbolic meaning to someone else.

It's like peeing on the flag; sure it's physically just a piece of colored fabric, but people died for that piece of cloth and you reap the benefits of their sacrifice.

It's juvenile behavior and you make the rest of us heathens look bad.

Yo boy, leave 'dem crackers alone, ya hear?!
As a vet, medically retired because of the severity of physical impairments due to injuries sustained on active duty, I fully support the right of anyone (any US citizen, that is) to exercise his/her 1st amendment right to free speech even if expressed in such a manner as peeing on, burning, or wiping one's butt with the flag. (Such an expression by a non-citizen may provoke a slightly different reaction from me, however.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
 
8,343 posts, read 9,819,740 times
Reputation: 10652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If religious beliefs cannot stand up to scientific scrutiny, perhaps it's time to change those beliefs.
Exactly. Whether the people who believe such things are offended is irrelevant. In fact, fear of offending such people is one reason these superstitions persist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top