U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,656,962 times

Advertisements

I live in the south. So as you can imagine, I don't run into many atheists. And it's not like the wear a sign on their head. I've thought about joining the few atheist meetup groups I see online in my area. But the idea of getting together with a group of people where the thing you have in common is what you DON'T believe in just seems a little odd to me. Usually people connect based on shared interests, not the lack of them. For instance, I would never join a group of people who dislike NASCAR even though I don't care for it. So my question is for all of you, particularly those who live in very religious areas and maybe are in the dating scene and keep running into spiritual types who want nothing to do with you. How do you go about meeting other atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,654,292 times
Atheists tend to have liberal beliefs, so if you're a liberal, you should find many more beliefs in common with people at those meetups than just atheism. If you're not a liberal, try looking for some sort of libertarian meetup, perhaps? Neocon atheists are probably out of luck.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,883,407 times
Since tattoos are so popular these days maybe the religious types could ID themselves with a tattoo on their forehead, you know a P for Protestants, a C for Catholics, a J for Jews. This would be the most fair system because Atheists have no beliefs so a blank forehead would be more appropriate.

This would clear things up for everyone, no awkward moments at parties or when out shopping.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:59 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,209,707 times
I'd rather meet people for who they are, common interests, ect. Getting people together just for atheism sounds too much like "religion" to me.

Their religious preferences mean little, ESPECIALLY when their lives don't revolve around religion.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:03 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,452,446 times
Catechism

Old 04-21-2011, 03:07 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,656,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'd rather meet people for who they are, common interests, ect. Getting people together just for atheism sounds too much like "religion" to me.

Their religious preferences mean little, ESPECIALLY when their lives don't revolve around religion.
I agree that it sounds too much like religion, which is why I've avoided joining such groups. But at the same time, someone's spirituality matters a great deal to me. Most of us want to be around people who understand us, where they're not left scratching their heads wondering why this person thinks the way they do. That's especially true in dating. How you see the world around you is (or should) be a big part of who you are. So it makes perfect sense to want to be with someone who shares that outlook. I've tried dating people who were religious and I discovered the hard way that it was just too much of a disconnect. What I've also noticed, at least here in the south, is you don't too many people in the middle. People are either very religious or not at all.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,500,026 times
You asked, so here it goes. I am atheist, but I am also a Unitarian Universalist. Probably a third of my current church are atheists. So, I meet atheists at my UU church. At my first UU fellowship, half of the members were atheists.

But, just so you know there are Communities of Reason and Secular Humanist Societies that nearly 100% atheists.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:04 PM

651 posts, read 1,277,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I live in the south. So as you can imagine, I don't run into many atheists. And it's not like the wear a sign on their head. I've thought about joining the few atheist meetup groups I see online in my area. But the idea of getting together with a group of people where the thing you have in common is what you DON'T believe in just seems a little odd to me. Usually people connect based on shared interests, not the lack of them. For instance, I would never join a group of people who dislike NASCAR even though I don't care for it.
One reason many people choose to identify as atheist is due to influence that religion has on society; NASCAR does not have the same influence. Atheists are not the first group of people to use a term that highlights their disbelief or stance against something. Abolitionists were against slavery and used the term to make a political point; after slavery become a non-issue in the USA, the usage of the term faded away. I'll probably not live to see the day, but I hope that religious influence decreases to the point where it is no longer necessary to use the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So my question is for all of you, particularly those who live in very religious areas and maybe are in the dating scene and keep running into spiritual types who want nothing to do with you. How do you go about meeting other atheists?
If being around other atheists is important to you, I don't understand why you are against the very groups where atheists openly congregate. In the majority of social situations, advertising your belief or lack of belief can be off-putting but an atheist group will automatically put you in contact with like-minded individuals. Isn't that what you want?

With that being said, perhaps you could try some of the science, skeptical, or 'freethinker' groups; you will probably have a better chance of meeting atheists at their functions.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:50 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,051,388 times
I live in a very small town that is also well educated-Location, Location, Location, we have 2 coffee houses here in a town of 3000, it is still the south but, I have met 20 atheists that live in the area. If you have a coffee shop in your town, it's a nice place to hang out, after work or weekends or holidays.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,096,672 times
I agree with Maia. We are leaving the south for the more liberal north, but I'm still considering going to some freethinker meetups. I think if religious beliefs are important to you that you can weed the religious ones out by attending a group. My guess is that most of those people have left "the church" and are seeking solace and understanding from others. This makes sense to me and wouldn't personally bother me, but you might not jive with it. Just go to one meeting and see how you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism