U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,249,582 times
Reputation: 9611

Advertisements

I think forums like this give you a false sense of how strident people are about their religious beliefs or lack of them. "Witnessing" about Christianity is more common than in years past but when I think of all the people I know, the majority of them I have no idea what their beliefs are. I can assume many were at least nominally raised as Christians, but the topic never comes up, so apparently most people are pretty live and let live. This may be more true in some regions of the country (I'm in the outskirts of the Chicago area), and I'd imagine there might be an urban/rural difference too. Those people I do know are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim,agnostic, or Athiest have never tried to force their beliefs on others that I've seen, and I have no problem with them mentioning it in passing. I would never make a disrespectful comment to any of them if they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 AM
 
705 posts, read 944,098 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I think forums like this give you a false sense of how strident people are about their religious beliefs or lack of them. "Witnessing" about Christianity is more common than in years past but when I think of all the people I know, the majority of them I have no idea what their beliefs are. I can assume many were at least nominally raised as Christians, but the topic never comes up, so apparently most people are pretty live and let live. This may be more true in some regions of the country (I'm in the outskirts of the Chicago area), and I'd imagine there might be an urban/rural difference too. Those people I do know are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim,agnostic, or Athiest have never tried to force their beliefs on others that I've seen, and I have no problem with them mentioning it in passing. I would never make a disrespectful comment to any of them if they do.

Unfortuantely, many of the so called "christian" types do not share your sense of respect and do not follow your practices. Again, I wish I had a nickel for every time some bible thumper told me I was so goin to hell after a short discussion about god or religion, even though I attempted to have a meaningful, intelligent and congenial discussion on the topic.

Pointing to the title of this thread, it seems the delusional types are so sure that their point of view is the only one to hold they don't want to hear any other point of view. They often get on the defensive and take it so personal that they will lash out with outlandish and even downright silly comments and responses. That certainly will not gain anyone's respect. And they certainly do not get mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,249,582 times
Reputation: 9611
Actually, I'm not Christian, although I was raised in the Christian church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,508 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Reputation: 32203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

Why are we expected to 'respect' other people's delusions?

I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!
No one is expected to respect other peoples delusions.
What we *are* expected to respect is their right to have their delusions and even teach and preach them too.

See the difference?
It's just like we were taught in Kindergarden: be nice to others.
---

However, that respect for their right to believe "any damned fool thing they want" (my grandmothers favorite expression) that most of us are willing to extend in most circumstances is subject to a rapidly declining level of tolerance when they attempt to impose their delusions (read: beliefs) on the lives of others or when they expect the non-delusional to not point out the distinction between delusion and actual fact.

This last will show itself most often when such delusional "belief" gets paraded around as being anything other than such...
let alone to be actual fact.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 12:55 PM
 
3,884 posts, read 8,969,451 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wow! You're sure easily offended. Are you sure you're not LOOKING for offense?

You know, when the Seventh Day Adventist's or Mormon's or the nice folks from the Presbyterian church come to my door (which they occassionally do) I just politely decline their offer to talk and gently close the door. Thank you, but no thank you. No offense meant, and no offense taken.

See how easy that is? No yelling, no screaming, no smark remarks, no "Get off my porch you religious wacko's!" No hurling of insults, no throwing of stones. No offense taken. Why should I be offended? They're just doing what they think they should be doing and so am I. Guess what? They don't sit out in the driveway and honk their horn or camp out in the front yard or follow me around with bullhorns. They just leave and we wave at each other as they go.

Maybe you should try being polite too. They're really NOT out to get you!
Yes, but do they return the following week for another try? They don't return to my house because I let them know I am not interested the first time, I keep a bat near the front door just for missioning religious newbies . Saves them the trip of hope. I think it's better to be honest and upfront. To some that is rude to others it is appreciated. Leading people on is not my bag, it may be others bag, so I'll let it be yours.
Your technique of insult followed by fake smiling doesn't work on me. Like your posts. You have the same issues as everyone else and are rude with your own style. Doesn't bother me, be as you like just as I will be as I like and the God salesman can go to your home repeatedly and not mine. See how that works.
I think sometimes being polite as you illustrate can be as rude or ruder. Like a guy who won't just break up with you when he isn't into it anymore. You, I'm gathering, would just hang around being politely unhappy. That's a drag to me on both ends, sorry you don't agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 41,405,280 times
Reputation: 10958
He doesn't lead people on. He answers the door and says "Not interested." and they leave. More than I'd do, I wouldn't even bother to answer the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,989,805 times
Reputation: 5074
I just tell them to leave printed materials for me to look over. That usually satisfies them.

(Although I did have a good time debating with a pair of Latter-Day Saints!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM
 
3,884 posts, read 8,969,451 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No one is expected to respect other peoples delusions.
What we *are* expected to respect is their right to have their delusions and even teach and preach them too.

See the difference?
It's just like we were taught in Kindergarden: be nice to others.
---

However, that respect for their right to believe "any damned fool thing they want" (my grandmothers favorite expression) that most of us are willing to extend in most circumstances is subject to a rapidly declining level of tolerance when they attempt to impose their delusions (read: beliefs) on the lives of others or when they expect the non-delusional to not point out the distinction between delusion and actual fact.

This last will show itself most often when such delusional "belief" gets paraded around as being anything other than such...
let alone to be actual fact.

Hope that helps.
I totally agree. It helps me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 PM
 
3,884 posts, read 8,969,451 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
i just tell them to leave printed materials for me to look over. That usually satisfies them.

(although i did have a good time debating with a pair of latter-day saints!)
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 02:24 PM
 
3,884 posts, read 8,969,451 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
He doesn't lead people on. He answers the door and says "Not interested." and they leave. More than I'd do, I wouldn't even bother to answer the door.
I tried the simple, I'm not interested and after the hand outs of material they usually keep going, which then I slowly start the door shutting as I say "don't bother waisting your time on me, I'm atheist. I don't think that I'm being impolite, just honest. Why let them waist their time when they don't have too.
I guess my missionaries are more into the mission than his. lol The Atheist line usually puts me into the home they avoid category. Then I don't have to avoid the door bell nor accept material I won't ever read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top