U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM

3,673 posts, read 4,937,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
re·li·gion (r-ljn)
n.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

They are religions. See #4.

ummm.....riiiiiiiight......
then based on that definition, parenting your kids is also a religion!

If Atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,453,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
you don't call it a delusion? well i will....when there is no freakin driver in the driver seat and you're sitting in the passenger seat going 90 MPH!

Thinking-man, thanks for the rep and the notes. My point is that being an Atheist does not automatically absolve you of having a religion nor does it absolve you of being someone who is willing to use the state to enforce his view of the world on others.

Example- An environmentalist who claims he is Atheist but believes trees have feelings and animals should have the same rights as people and that the earth is our "Mother" and we have to take care of her. That's Pantheism. He's involved in a religion whether he knows it or not and every government reform he pushes for that involves the acknowledgement that "We have to take care of the earth" is pushing his religion. He thinks that it should be totally obvious, except to the stupid and greedy, that we have to "care for the earth". He doesn't realize that is the oldest religion, far older than Christianity, and while he gives himself the title of Atheist he is nothing of the sort. He has a God, it's just a different one.

Just like Communist in the USSR were "Atheist" but they too had a God and it was the "State" and everyone had to bow to that God at the point of the gun which is no less than the point of Mohammed's sword.

So, Atheists get to slap each other on the back and take potshots at members of larger religions for "believing". I see 3 groups of Atheist- 1. Individualist Atheist 2. Collectivist Atheist 3.Wolves in Atheist clothing.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,984,404 times
Equating other things for a belief in "God" such as a respect for nature (or Soviet-style Communism) isn't helping your case. Your statement "whether they know it or not" shows that you are intent on showing that everyone is religious in a sense. Au contraire.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,306,012 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!

When people can't keep it to themselves and they get in my face with it, they hear something like this:

[youtube]1uTypnaP5X4[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uTypnaP5X4"]Insulting religion - YouTube[/URL]

In fact, the next time I get a chain email from someone talking about their god or blathering on about their deity's magnificence, I'm sending them that link, blind.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM

67 posts, read 44,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
When people can't keep it to themselves and they get in my face with it, they hear something like this:

Insulting religion - YouTube

In fact, the next time I get a chain email from someone talking about their god or blathering on about their deity's magnificence, I'm sending them that link, blind.
LMAO!

"I hope you have to go lay down for 10 minutes before you can even pray."

Nice.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,984,404 times
Got to love Pat Condell! He tells it like it is.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,691,797 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
I agree that it can be annoying when some don't see what seems so plain to us! lol Really, it can be infuriating when blindness causes harm!
Why should we respect others' point of view?
Because one's point of view is very much a part of who they are... so it's respecting them. Also, if you want to change another's perspective, you need to first help them feel understood & respected.

Children come up with ridiculous ideas & jokes - if as a parent, I disrespected their ideas, it would not only negatively influence their development, but it would also show hypocricy... since at one time, I too, had such ridiculous ideas.

We each are at different levels of learning & see things in our own unique way. Who am I to say another doesn't see things the way they do? I can argue to try to get them to see my perspective, as they may argue theirs, yet there can still be respect & validation that there are many perspectives in our imagination lol. And it's all in our imagination - we're all ignorant - just more or less & with different subjects. IE: I respect that a person who grew up without formal education may still be intelligent in other ways - & that everyone has something to offer.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

Children come up with ridiculous ideas & jokes - if as a parent, I disrespected their ideas, it would not only negatively influence their development, but it would also show hypocricy... since at one time, I too, had such ridiculous ideas.
But what is your reaction when the kids what to change the routine and rules in your home. Change bed times, how much and what they get to watch on TV, what you can watch, or plan the menu around their favorites.

Same problem with believers that are attempting to force their views on everyone, by changing laws, legislating their hatred, phobias, agendas, and even rituals upon all.

You would be outraged if another religion, say Muslims legislated their beliefs into your daily life, and as an atheist, they are all another religion.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:28 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,599,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Got to love Pat Condell! He tells it like it is.
He's a militant atheist if ever there was one.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,227,883 times
Quote:

Ticks me off i tell ya!
So everyone who doesn't think like you is dumb?

And what scares you so much about the way others think?

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism