U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,233 posts, read 11,281,995 times
Reputation: 4064

Advertisements

I don't understand why anyone that can't explain what makes us "alive" would ridicule the beleifs of anyone. Like the religious generally can't prove their beliefs neither can the doubter prove it not to be true... Can you identify some silly misunderstandings like Jesus is white, or he was born on the Dec 25'th, sure but though the religious can't prove a virgin birth, science can't disprove it either.

If believing in a higher power makes people respectful of others and tolerant I see no harm in it. Not dissimilar from me being tolerant of those with lower intellectual abilities or those above me being tolerant of all of us. We have too many times in history where people turn on others because they aren't tolerant of their beliefs why add to intolerance?

Just because you have a belief... doesn't mean you are right religious or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
 
19 posts, read 16,683 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I don't understand why anyone that can't explain what makes us "alive" would ridicule the beleifs of anyone. Like the religious generally can't prove their beliefs neither can the doubter prove it not to be true... Can you identify some silly misunderstandings like Jesus is white, or he was born on the Dec 25'th, sure but though the religious can't prove a virgin birth, science can't disprove it either.

If believing in a higher power makes people respectful of others and tolerant I see no harm in it. Not dissimilar from me being tolerant of those with lower intellectual abilities or those above me being tolerant of all of us. We have too many times in history where people turn on others because they aren't tolerant of their beliefs why add to intolerance?

Just because you have a belief... doesn't mean you are right religious or not.
I really wish people like you would quit casting belief in a deity (insanely unlikely) and non-belief in a deity (FAR more rational) as if they're equally possible.

The likelihood of a God existing, while possible, is infinitesimally smaller than the far stronger likelihood that no God exists.

For example, we can't disprove that the galaxy is a peanut on a space-turd, but I don't see a bunch of space-turd believers shoving their belief down our throats, so to speak, and using the legislative branch as a soap-box for their stupid delusions. Space Turd and God-Offspring Savior Jew Zombie exist on the same statistical plane, probability-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,607,341 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I don't understand why anyone that can't explain what makes us "alive" would ridicule the beleifs of anyone. Like the religious generally can't prove their beliefs neither can the doubter prove it not to be true... Can you identify some silly misunderstandings like Jesus is white, or he was born on the Dec 25'th, sure but though the religious can't prove a virgin birth, science can't disprove it either.
Did you sleep through health class? Science has very well proven sex is a necessary precursor to pregnancy, or at least semen has to be deposited somehow. Even 2000 years ago they knew this. How could a haploid ovum possibly develop into an adult human?

Quote:
If believing in a higher power makes people respectful of others and tolerant I see no harm in it. Not dissimilar from me being tolerant of those with lower intellectual abilities or those above me being tolerant of all of us. We have too many times in history where people turn on others because they aren't tolerant of their beliefs why add to intolerance?
Most Christians aren't very tolerant of others' beliefs. Otherwise, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,355,258 times
Reputation: 2613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
....though the religious can't prove a virgin birth, science can't disprove it either.
Science is not interested in disproving mythology. It has more important things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,600,771 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Science is not interested in disproving mythology. It has more important things to do.
Science is not interested in disproving mythology, yet there are so many evangelizing atheists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,600,771 times
Reputation: 842
If you respect other people's delusions, they will respect yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,324,168 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
If you respect other people's delusions, they will respect yours.
Atheists are however not delusional. The only things that garners our "belief" are those that are provable and dealt with in the realm of reality and not make believe or conjecture.

As such, science has a better track record discovering and explaining the previously unknown.

We can treat epilepsy as we know it has nothing to do with imaginary demons. Blindness is mostly treatable and is not due to anyone's parents pee'ing off some imaginary god. Science allows the deaf to hear. We use CPR to "raise the dead". The crippled are able to walk or at least have some mobility and a host of other ailments not even mentioned in the sky man's good book.

So in the famous words of your imaginary friend,
The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news (science) is preached (taught even) to the poor.
Thank you science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,286,683 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I don't understand why anyone that can't explain what makes us "alive" would ridicule the beleifs of anyone.
I can. Mainly because one is honest and the other is not.

When we do not know the answer to a question the honest answer is to say we do not know the answer to a question. Simple as that.

What some people do is make up an answer, usually entirely baseless and unsubstantiated ones, and claim them to be the right answer.

So that is why anyone who can not explain something can ridicule the belief of someone else... because we can see that they are simply making up answers.

It is alright not to know things. That is what research and discovery is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,942,522 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Note to self, don't use analogies with SS, they are beyond his comprehension.
If you need an example of Christian groups trying to literally change the TV you watch, look no further than the Parents Television Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,600,771 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Atheists are however not delusional.
You're not delusional in your own eyes, sure, but many people would call you delusional and treat you accordingly. I'm not sure I would say atheism is a delusion, but the belief in a God is not so freakish as you make it out to be. The whole of human history is not delusional.[/quote]

Quote:
The only things that garners our "belief" are those that are provable and dealt with in the realm of reality and not make believe or conjecture.
Man has been proclaiming his own omniscience for a long time. A little more humility is in order.

Quote:
As such, science has a better track record discovering and explaining the previously unknown.
Science makes all of mankind's evillest imaginings come true, never forget that! Knowledge is indeed power, but power corrupts!

Quote:
We can treat epilepsy as we know it has nothing to do with imaginary demons.
How could medical science measure a demon?

Quote:
Blindness is mostly treatable and is not due to anyone's parents pee'ing off some imaginary god.
There's not just one kind of blindness, remember.

Quote:
Science allows the deaf to hear. We use CPR to "raise the dead". The crippled are able to walk or at least have some mobility and a host of other ailments not even mentioned in the sky man's good book.

Science is God?



Quote:
So in the famous words of your imaginary friend,
The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news (science) is preached (taught even) to the poor.
Thank you science.

I thought you were an atheist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top