U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,605,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
You're not delusional in your own eyes, sure, but many people would call you delusional and treat you accordingly. I'm not sure I would say atheism is a delusion, but the belief in a God is not so freakish as you make it out to be. The whole of human history is not delusional.
We're constantly finding out why things work the way they do that were previously attributed to a sky daddy. The ones that figured it out were the ones that set religious beliefs aside and examined things with intellectual honesty. So yes, throughout the whole of human history, most humans were delusional.

Quote:
Man has been proclaiming his own omniscience for a long time. A little more humility is in order.
I agree. The religious should quit acting like they know everything based on some ancient book and should start looking for the real answers.

Quote:
Science makes all of mankind's evillest imaginings come true, never forget that! Knowledge is indeed power, but power corrupts!
So you're saying we should be blissfully ignorant and believe in religion?

Quote:
How could medical science measure a demon?
It doesn't have to if it can prove another reason for a condition occurring.

Quote:
There's not just one kind of blindness, remember.
Who knew? Oh, I'm guessing SeekerSA did when he said it's mostly treatable.

Quote:
Science is God?
Science is a supernatural conscious being?

Quote:
I thought you were an atheist?
We thought you knew what an atheist is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,320,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
You're not delusional in your own eyes, sure, but many people would call you delusional and treat you accordingly. I'm not sure I would say atheism is a delusion, but the belief in a God is not so freakish as you make it out to be. The whole of human history is not delusional.
I think most of it was until science branched away from the control of the beloved church.
Quote:
Man has been proclaiming his own omniscience for a long time. A little more humility is in order.
Humility in what? The fact that I find no plausible evidence for any god(s). Should I pretend like you?
Quote:
Science makes all of mankind's evillest imaginings come true, never forget that! Knowledge is indeed power, but power corrupts!
If you look back it does appear that the religious misappropriated scientific discovery to meet their own ends and desires.

Knowledge is power and this is why the religious want to control it still. W/o knowledge, they still have hope of maintaining their delusions.
Quote:
How could medical science measure a demon?
Does not have to as they do not exist except in the same space as all the other imaginary friends, between your ears.
Quote:
There's not just one kind of blindness, remember.
Convenient revisionism. Blindness in the bible was not being able to see physically.
Quote:
Science is God?
Science is science, only the woos think it is something to be feared.
Quote:
I thought you were an atheist?
I am.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,691,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Atheists are however not delusional. The only things that garners our "belief" are those that are provable and dealt with in the realm of reality and not make believe or conjecture.
ha ha Good one! Not delusional! lol

You are as delusional as the rest of us!
Yet, maybe you're too delusional to realize it.
You can't help but be! You don't know everything, yet pretend to.
At least some admit their lack of awareness.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:02 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,598,605 times
Human consciousness --and therefore human knowledge-- has inherent limitations. No one knows everything, not even Stephen Hawking.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,605,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
ha ha Good one! Not delusional! lol

You are as delusional as the rest of us!
Yet, maybe you're too delusional to realize it.
You can't help but be! You don't know everything, yet pretend to.
At least some admit their lack of awareness.
Did you even read his post? Atheists (in general) believe what is proven. If there isn't a proven answer to something, we tend not to believe anything and instead seek out the truth whereas the religious tend to just make up an answer and declare it as absolute truth. Science declares nothing to be absolute truth. You don't know your enemy very well.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM

30,884 posts, read 31,769,092 times
Faith or delusion? At the crossroads of religion and psychosis.

In clinical practice, no clear guidelines exist to distinguish between "normal" religious beliefs and "pathological" religious delusions.
Religious beliefs and delusions alike can arise from neurologic lesions and anomalous experiences, suggesting that at least some religious beliefs can be pathological. Religious beliefs exist outside of the scientific domain; therefore they can be easily labeled delusional from a rational perspective.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM

216 posts, read 46,021 times
White religion is dying a slow death as people are becoming more aware of its hypocrisy. Also, Christianity is dying because the proof of God isn't coming and never will. I wonder when mental health professionals are going to step in and do something.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:31 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
As long as religion is so popular, and it is accorded indeserved respect, it won't happen.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Atheists (in general) believe what is proven. If there isn't a proven answer to something, we tend not to believe anything and instead seek out the truth whereas the religious tend to just make up an answer and declare it as absolute truth. Science declares nothing to be absolute truth. You don't know your enemy very well.
lol Who said anything about enemies? Why must it be "us & them" when we are all more alike? We are all illusional - some just are more aware of their illusions than others.
IMO, Extreme religious orthodox believers & extreme atheists both lack awareness of their illusions... by claiming to know for certain that which is not known.

I agree that some religious-minded follow what their religious leaders dictate, which may be based on a personal experience, yet transfered to be taught to the "mass." For most complicated medical concerns, one would NEVER dream of consulting a medical book even from 50 years ago, yet will take every word literally, from a book written +3,000 years ago.
Yet, I also see no need to reinvent the wheel. Some spiritual truths are golden & applicable to all.
Although I respect "cause & effect," scientists make up their own rules for proving things, which changes regularly. Also, there are some things that cannot be studied using traditional scientific tools.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
White religion is dying a slow death as people are becoming more aware of its hypocrisy.
Hi Craig,
I'm not sure what you mean by "white religion."
Are you referring to the fact that Jesus has been portrayed as white, when he wasn't?
+500 years ago, Jesus began being portrayed as Cesare Borgia...
Cesare Borgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When in reality, Forensic Anthropologists have shown him to look quite different...
Race of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Also, Christianity is dying because the proof of God isn't coming and never will. I wonder when mental health professionals are going to step in and do something.
"Proof of God" seems odd... like "proof of the unknown."
Christianity has some helpful & harmful aspects.
God doesn't have to be about fear & shame.
God can be about hope, faith & love.

Beliefs are powerful - consider how your head & shoulders feel tense when you think stressful thoughts... or how good your body feels after laughing to the point of tears.
We must take control of our thoughts... learn to manage them for, not against us.
A study showed that spiritual beliefs can be helpful or harmful... depending on how people translate them...
New Study: Can Religion Help You Fight Serious Illness? Doctor Stu's Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism