U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 AM
 
223 posts, read 228,519 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
That children benefit from being in a family with one mother and one father is an opinion shared, arguably, by every religion in the world and by nearly every person.
The benefit of a family with a mother and father is seen by most everyone, religious or not. Religious people do not have a monopoly on common sense, but they do have a monopoly on cosmic delusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
 
3,413 posts, read 6,483,205 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
The benefit of a family with a mother and father is seen by most everyone, religious or not. Religious people do not have a monopoly on common sense, but they do have a monopoly on cosmic delusion.
Is your first sentence quoting me because that is almost exactly what I said? Here's my quote-

"That children benefit from being in a family with one mother and one father is an opinion shared, arguably, by every religion in the world and by nearly every person."


So a preference for mother/father families is preferred by "everyone" because it is "common sense"? You'll get no argument from me. That was my whole point. It's not a religious idea. Earlier in this thread it was accused of being a 'Christian" idea. That's what I was challenging.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-31-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere Arkansas
3,326 posts, read 2,739,687 times
Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Let me get this straight... Believers are coming into your homej to change routine & rules, bed times, tv schedules & menues??
Maybe you ought to lock your doors! lol

Seriously, if anything, atheists are changing rules... by trying to take God out of the pledge of allegience, or making it illegal to display the 10 commandments, getting rid of prayer in schools or sports.
Those who believe in the bible (which condemns homosexual practice) are not the ones promomting gay marriage, which is hurting children by devaluing mothers and fathers by saying one or the other is not needed.
Boy is that the truth. for eons we've known the importance of the differing but complimentary skills each sex brought into the parenting of children. Now, out of the blue, american liberals/leftists are now requiring us all to believe; mothers are no longer needed for parenting, fathers are no longer need for parenting, any warm body will do, and gays make better parents than heterosexuals. It's completely bizzare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM
 
223 posts, read 228,519 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Is your first sentence quoting me because that is almost exactly what I said? So a preference for mother/father families is preferred by "everyone" because it is "common sense"? You'll get no argument from me. That was my whole point. It's not a religious idea. Earlier in this thread it was accused of being a 'Christian" idea. That's what I was challenging.
I said "most everyone" not "everyone", and you restricted it just to religions. Atheists the world over see the benefit to a mother/father household.

The difference is, atheists see no benefit to some legal mandate preventing widows, single mothers, single fathers, or gay couples from also raising children.

And frankly, a gay couple is preferable to any single-parent household. That is also common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 AM
 
3,413 posts, read 6,483,205 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
I said "most everyone" not "everyone", and you restricted it just to religions. Atheists the world over see the benefit to a mother/father household.

The difference is, atheists see no benefit to some legal mandate preventing widows, single mothers, single fathers, or gay couples from also raising children.

And frankly, a gay couple is preferable to any single-parent household. That is also common sense.
You did not read the whole thread and did not read it carefully. You are so looking for a fight that you found one where none existed. What a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,054,880 times
Reputation: 472
Wow... so Bible-thumpers really do believe any man/woman combo is better than a same-sex couple raising kids. I do question your asinine, sweeping assertions with absolutely NO evidence to back up any of these ridiculous arguments. But children are best raised by a drug dealer/prostitute, abusive parent/drunkard, a murderer/sadist, neglectful/apathetic... just so long as one in each combination, or any permutation of those, is a man and one is a woman.

I guess it's what George Carlin said about abortion: "If you're prenatal, you're fine; if you're preschool you're fu--ed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,620,093 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here is a man who knew a delusion when he saw one....
I disagree with Freud here, even though he was the father of modern psychoanalysis and a coke-fiend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 PM
 
3,413 posts, read 6,483,205 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I disagree with Freud here, even though he was the father of modern psychoanalysis and a coke-fiend.
Hahaha! The Devil is in the details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 2,710,885 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"Beliefs are powerful"....Yes placebos can be powerful if the belief is there, but that is all religion is....A placebo.
Sanspeur,
The placebo effect is REAL!
Even completely illusional beliefs - still can create REAL influence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 2,710,885 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And specifically what do atheists believe in without any proof to the contrary?
What don't they believe without complete proof to the contrary?
Our awareness is necessary limited... yet atheists pretend to know they are fully aware.
Atheist means "without God."
Who or what is God? Few atheists have given me a nontraditional answer.
Atheists define God by theists terms, & then reject God.
God is intuition, imagination, serendipity & will... mostly belief.
We all have that, so to believe one is without any of that is contrary to one's psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top