U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,460 posts, read 1,492,952 times
Reputation: 956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInBend View Post
Why do you assume we absolutely HAVE to worship something? No one worships "human reason." Human reason is the way things work, even among you and your flat-earth followers.

Look, you understand that the words on your computer appear not by way of magic, but by way of intricate, scientific and electronic processes, right? The same works for humans and emotions, feelings, kinship, love, trust, etc. It's all biology at work the same way your computer is electricity at work.
Human reason isn't infallible. Otherwise, we'd have no wars, 100% employment world wide, no hunger, no murders. It really just isn't enough. Faith is not an emotion -- it's an action. Your faith is in human reason. Mine is in God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,605,042 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
ALL atheists don't believe in a God; what you're describing is an agnostic.
What I'm describing is an agnostic atheist, which is what most atheists are. There's no such thing as a person who isn't a theist nor an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,964,060 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Since you're the one claiming superior intellect, and Christians are idiots for believing in God, prove there is no God. Should be simple for someone as advanced as you are. "Open your eyes and pay attention" doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.
Based on the evidence, yes...........

I can talk to my dog, and while he is very attentive, comprehension of what is said does not necessary take place, he is merely listening for what he wants to hear, keywords such as walk, or treat.

Granted, won't work for those without the rational to process what is seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
 
39,112 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Reputation: 5088
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Not everyone bows to supposition that everything has to be proven by human reason to be real. What I find fascinatinating is that atheists totally dismiss the soul and the heart in their discussions. Love does not follow human reason -- it transcends it. And God is Love, according to the Bible. Maybe atheists can't understand God, because it dismisses the very human needs of the heart and the soul. Which makes for a very incomplete person. Why are atheists afraid to touch on those points? Because love, hope, trust, mercy, compassion can't be reduced to meer logic and mathematics. Logic and reason is comfortable, easy, convenient. You don't have to deal with messy emotions and longings of the soul.

Atheists don't believe in God because they don't want to. Pure and simple.
Atheists believe in everything, including love if there's good evidence for it. We don't believe in gods or souls purely because their there is no good evidence for them. People like you believe in thhose things simply because they want to. You understandably suppose that atheists use the same lack of sound reasoning.

Your post clearly shows your bias, dishonesty and poor reasoning, in equal proportions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
 
39,112 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Reputation: 5088
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Since you're the one claiming superior intellect, and Christians are idiots for believing in God, prove there is no God. Should be simple for someone as advanced as you are. "Open your eyes and pay attention" doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.
You prove that there is. If you can't make a reasonably convincing case, there is no reason to believe in it. You's think that was easy enough to comprehend but it is one of the most common misunderstandings by theists. That agnosticism logically leads to atheism is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,884 posts, read 31,769,092 times
Reputation: 12628
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Atheists don't universally believe that there is no god. The majority would say it's possible there is one, but it simply isn't proven. Therefore there is nothing for us to prove.




ALL atheists don't believe in a God; what you're describing is an agnostic.
You have no idea of the definition of atheist...As Kenshi said the majority will never say that which cannot be proven is impossible...We are honest, but believe the chances of ANY of the thousands of gods existing is infinitesimally slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,460 posts, read 1,492,952 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You prove that there is. If you can't make a reasonably convincing case, there is no reason to believe in it. You's think that was easy enough to comprehend but it is one of the most common misunderstandings by theists. That agnosticism logically leads to atheism is another.

My husband was an atheist, then an agnostic, then a Christian. It floats both ways. I'm not pretending that God can be proved by logic or mathematics. He's so beyond that it's laughable. He's far beyond man's puny efforts to decipher the mysteries of the universe. I guess that's what makes God, God. The fact that you can't DISPROVE his existence by your so-called logic, by your terms, is revealing. Granted, you certainly can write well, but you haven't proven the non-existence of God, no matter how eloquently you state your beliefs.

I know God in my soul, my heart, my mind, and my life. I know Him through the lives in others. I know joy, love, peace, hope, security, compassion, trust by my relationship with Him. I don't need a mathematical equation, or a theorum, or a metaphor to know how He's changed my life. I don't denigrate your non-belief. Why do you denegrate mine? We'll all too soon find out personally, every one of us, whether God or an afterlife exists empirically.

Last edited by kiggy; 08-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,460 posts, read 1,492,952 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You have no idea of the definition of atheist...As Kenshi said the majority will never say that which cannot be proven is impossible...We are honest, but believe the chances of ANY of the thousands of gods existing is infinitesimally slim.
I'm sorry, but according to Merriam-Webster:

Definition of AGNOSTIC
1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god


Definition of ATHEIST
: one who believes that there is no deity

Pretty simple.

You, by definition (and by human logic) are an agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,460 posts, read 1,492,952 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInBend View Post
Prove there's no Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster.


I can't -- but then, I don't put my faith in HFSM, either. Your point?


This is a pretty consistent theme with Christians, yes.
I expected a better answer from the most Intelligent Man on the Earth, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,605,042 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I'm sorry, but according to Merriam-Webster:
The Oxford dictionary has a better definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top