U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,515,595 times

Advertisements

Even better-- thank you, Kenshi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM

31,247 posts, read 32,125,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I'm sorry, but according to Merriam-Webster:

Definition of AGNOSTIC
1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Definition of ATHEIST
: one who believes that there is no deity

Pretty simple.

You, by definition (and by human logic) are an agnostic.
Your logic is faulty......There is a big difference between believing there is no gods and knowing there are no gods. I am committed to believing there are no gods, (atheist) but do not KNOW there are no gods, since that is not provable one way or the other.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,633,034 times
Quote:
Even better-- thank you, Kenshi!
So by definition, sanspeur and I are atheists since we don't believe in gods, whether or not we are convinced there aren't gods. I'm also agnostic about it.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your logic is faulty......There is a big difference between believing there is no gods and knowing there are no gods. I am committed to believing there are no gods, (atheist) but do not KNOW there are no gods, since that is not provable one way or the other.
Belief in something requires faith. So atheism, then is a religion, right?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInBend View Post
If I was, why would I waste it on you? I'm not going to impress my dog with quantum physics theories, for example.
I'm sorry, I was referring to Asheville Native, not you. Sorry for your confusion.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInBend View Post
Atheism is no more a religion than bald is a hair-color.
As previously stated, you can't prove it as fact, therefore it's in the realm of religion. I have no problem with your faith -- I respect your right to worship human reason as much as I cherish my own right to worship God. I don't get your analogy. Was that on one of those standardized tests one gets in college?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Atheists believe in everything, including love if there's good evidence for it. We don't believe in gods or souls purely because their there is no good evidence for them. People like you believe in thhose things simply because they want to. You understandably suppose that atheists use the same lack of sound reasoning.

Your post clearly shows your bias, dishonesty and poor reasoning, in equal proportions.

What is your definition of love?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Why all of the personal attacks? I haven't been rude to you, called you a dog, attacked your reasoning abilities. If that's what makes you feel like you have purpose in life, I guess I understand. If that makes you feel good about yourself, I can't stop you. I merely put out the theory that your belief in atheism is based on, for lack of a better word, faith, because you can't prove that God exists. To even put up a thread that begs the question, "Why are we expected to 'respect' other people's delusions?" shows that your really don't have the common decency to respect others for their differing opinions. That's truly a shame, because this could have been a good dialogue between people -- instead, you made it personal. One reason I'll never be an atheist -- what a way to live.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Belief in something requires faith. So atheism, then is a religion, right?
Unbelievable...Disbelief in gods or anything else does NOT make a religion.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Why all of the personal attacks? I haven't been rude to you, called you a dog, attacked your reasoning abilities. If that's what makes you feel like you have purpose in life, I guess I understand. If that makes you feel good about yourself, I can't stop you. I merely put out the theory that your belief in atheism is based on, for lack of a better word, faith, because you can't prove that God exists. To even put up a thread that begs the question, "Why are we expected to 'respect' other people's delusions?" shows that your really don't have the common decency to respect others for their differing opinions. That's truly a shame, because this could have been a good dialogue between people -- instead, you made it personal. One reason I'll never be an atheist -- what a way to live.
Respect is earned...If I tell you that I believe that I have frequent conversations with your dead ancestors, would you respect my belief?...Silly beliefs do not earn respect.

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-09-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism