U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,519 times
Reputation: 950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchma Quchi View Post
Fine, so not the moon.

We'll use some unnamed planet in a distant galaxy.

Marvin Martian: 50% chance of him existing/not existing.

Do you truly believe that?
I won't answer that question because I don't want to make Marvin cry. He's very sensitive, you know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,519 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchma Quchi View Post
Don't forget that magic 400-foot Ark that somehow fit about 3 million species of animals, none of whom managed to render other species extinct by, you know, eating them.
As I say, you may believe that a fish, or a lizard, or whatever crawled up out of the ocean and mysteriously, magically became man -- like I said, there's freedom to worship as you like. I won't hold it against you. I believe in the Almighty God that changed my life. Why does that gall you so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
 
17 posts, read 8,590 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
As I say, you may believe that a fish, or a lizard, or whatever crawled up out of the ocean and mysteriously, magically became man -- like I said, there's freedom to worship as you like. I won't hold it against you. I believe in the Almighty God that changed my life. Why does that gall you so?
One idea is backed by empirical evidence. The other is a myth propagated by desert-dwellers 3,000 years ago who believed running water is black magic.

One conclusion came after decades of analytical geniuses poring over billions of lines of data and thousands of fossils. The other is a roundabout guess made by people who thought menstrual cycles were evidence of demon possession.

Nothing about you changing your life with a fairy tale galls me. What galls me is the people of your ilk who insist on making this fairy tale state religion, and public policy (e.g. banning gay marriage, abortion restrictions, banning evolution curriculum, burning books, etc.).

Religion has done more to slow down the thought process of mankind than any single thing in the history of our existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,875 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Reputation: 12622
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
No one's arguing with you -- like I said, we have freedom of religion in this country, and you can believe as you like. Same with me. Why are atheists so angry? Goodness...

By the way, I'm not sure who this mysogynistic murderous thug is, but you really shouldn't be eating after 8 pm, or so I'm told. Those are pretty hefty nightmares you have going. Peace.
We aren't angry, but do get frustrated with people who ignore our explanations in favor of what they think we believe, or don't believe...For instance since you insist on claiming that disbelief is some kind of religion, may I ask you how many religions you have...You are almost as much of an atheist as I am...You just believe in one more god than I do...So are you practicing the religion of disbelief towards all other gods...Do you understand how little sense that makes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,789,297 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
No one's arguing with you -- like I said, we have freedom of religion in this country, and you can believe as you like. Same with me. Why are atheists so angry? Goodness...
There is a sizable amount of the population who would like their fairy tale beliefs encoded into law. This makes me angry. As does the derailment of human scientific knowledge by these same comic book worshippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
By the way, I'm not sure who this mysogynistic murderous thug is, but you really shouldn't be eating after 8 pm, or so I'm told. Those are pretty hefty nightmares you have going. Peace.
Murderous:
Quote:
Zephaniah 1:2-6
2 I will completely remove all things
From the face of the [a]earth, declares the LORD.
3 I will remove man and beast;
I will remove the birds of the sky
And the fish of the sea,
And the [b]ruins along with the wicked;
And I will cut off man from the face of the [c]earth, declares the LORD.
4 So I will stretch out My hand against Judah
And against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
And I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place,
And the names of the idolatrous priests along with the priests.
5 And those who bow down on the housetops to the host of heaven,
And those who bow down and swear to the LORD and yet swear by [d]Milcom,
6 And those who have turned back from following the LORD,
And those who have not sought the LORD or inquired of Him.
Misogynistic:
Quote:
1 Timothy 2
11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,519 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchma Quchi View Post
One idea is backed by empirical evidence. The other is a myth propagated by desert-dwellers 3,000 years ago who believed running water is black magic.

One conclusion came after decades of analytical geniuses poring over billions of lines of data and thousands of fossils. The other is a roundabout guess made by people who thought menstrual cycles were evidence of demon possession.

Nothing about you changing your life with a fairy tale galls me. What galls me is the people of your ilk who insist on making this fairy tale state religion, and public policy (e.g. banning gay marriage, abortion restrictions, banning evolution curriculum, burning books, etc.).

Religion has done more to slow down the thought process of mankind than any single thing in the history of our existence.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but you don't seem to get it that Darwinism, in the hundred years or so since it's been around, has never been proved as fact empirically. It still remains in theory status to the most atheistic scientists. As such, it is NOT fact. It has never been proven. I know this is disappointing to you, but it's the truth, a concept that I had assumed that atheist valued. Apparently, some do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,603,256 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but you don't seem to get it that Darwinism, in the hundred years or so since it's been around, has never been proved as fact empirically. It still remains in theory status to the most atheistic scientists. As such, it is NOT fact. It has never been proven. I know this is disappointing to you, but it's the truth, a concept that I had assumed that atheist valued. Apparently, some do not.
You must have failed biology. Evolution is about as well proven as gravity. We have witnessed it occurring. We've even shaped it to suit our needs. We have fossils of more transition species than one could hope to count. I'm starting to wonder if you're a troll because no one could be so obtuse and oblivious to reality as you seem to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,875 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Reputation: 12622
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
You must have failed biology. Evolution is about as well proven as gravity. We have witnessed it occurring. We've even shaped it to suit our needs. We have fossils of more transition species than one could hope to count. I'm starting to wonder if you're a troll because no one could be so obtuse and oblivious to reality as you seem to be.

I believe ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is a poe....Nobody could possibly be that thick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
 
39,026 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Reputation: 5081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but you don't seem to get it that Darwinism, in the hundred years or so since it's been around, has never been proved as fact empirically. It still remains in theory status to the most atheistic scientists. As such, it is NOT fact. It has never been proven. I know this is disappointing to you, but it's the truth, a concept that I had assumed that atheist valued. Apparently, some do not.
This is a quote from a Theist site which is rather anti Darwinist. It nevertheless accepts evolution as an established fact.

"Microevolution is an uncontroversial, well-documented, naturally occurring biological phenomenon. It happens every day. It is the process whereby preexisting genetic information is rearranged, corrupted, and/or lost through sexual reproduction and/or genetic mutation producing relatively small-scale (“micro”) changes within a population."

What is the difference between Microevolution and Macroevolution?

Clearly when it says 'uncontroversial' it has never tried to explain this fact to Kiggy and his Ilk.

Now, I go on to say that the process of genetic mutation being extensively documented and given the monumental amount of evidence for this change eventually diverging over time into what we would regard as distinct species, it seems purblind to deny that Macro- evolution can happen and had happened.

Evolution is a fact. Evolution over time into different species seems to be proven by the range of genetic, phylogenic and palaeontological evidence to a degree that would persuade anyone other than someone who felt that their religion required them to ignore or deny such overwhelming evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but you don't seem to get it that Darwinism, in the hundred years or so since it's been around, has never been proved as fact empirically. It still remains in theory status to the most atheistic scientists. As such, it is NOT fact. It has never been proven. I know this is disappointing to you, but it's the truth, a concept that I had assumed that atheist valued. Apparently, some do not.

VS. your collection of superstitions that are thousands of years old, and yet not the first shred of evidence to even suggest that it is even probable.

The process of science is a great mystery to you, and you fail to realize that it is an ongoing process of learning. Darwin's theory is based on physical evidence, and as more is discovered and learned over the past 150+ years the theory is refined. Look at where any science is today vs. 150 years ago, and yet the common cold still hits most of us year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top