U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,333,893 times
Reputation: 2611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Belief in something requires faith.
Nope! I don't know how you do it but you're wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Do Hindus/Buddhist/Other believe in hell? I thought it was a reincarnation or karma thang. Who knew?
I thought you were leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,519 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nope! I don't know how you do it but you're wrong again.

I thought you were leaving.
But I MISSED you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,885,911 times
Reputation: 12178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Do Hindus/Buddhist/Other believe in hell?
Hindus do, Buddhists don't concern themselves with heaven or hell. "Karma" is, hence, a different term, originating in Hinduism and carried into Buddhism albeit in a different form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 AM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,555 posts, read 5,398,343 times
Reputation: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,555 posts, read 5,398,343 times
Reputation: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Belief in something requires faith. So atheism, then is a religion, right?
Sure!

What's the name of the imaginary holy almighty entity to whom you'd like us to pray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,278,109 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
You worship human reason every bit as much as I worship the Almighty God.
This is not true, but even if it was it would have one advantage over your god. We can at least show "human reason" exists, which is something you have not even started to do. However as people keep telling you, atheism is a "belief" in the same way as NOT collecting stamps can be considered a "hobby".

However if you are really interested in discourse you might find it more helpful, and almost more honest, to come on here and ASK people what it is they believe instead of doing what you have been for the last few pages.... which is to pretend to know already and tell people what they themselves believe.

For your information what most of the people you call "atheist" believe is that there are many 1000s of claims being made by people every day and there has been for a long time and there will be for a long time. There are too many claims being made on too many subjects to consider them all.

So the only sane and workable approach is to say "ANY claim that comes before me with not just little evidence to support it... but actually NO evidence to support it, then just dismiss that claim and move on".

GIVEN you have NO evidence, argument, data OR reasons to even begin to lend credence to the idea there is a god entity therefore, we simply dismiss your idea and move on. You can quibble over whether to call that "atheism" or "agnosticism" all you want.

It would help if you read up on what agnostic means first though as you have got it wrong already in this thread. Hint: Thomas Huxley created the word so rather than citing the Webster dictionary you would do better to go read what he said it means.

However whatever label you go with in the end really does not matter. The fact remains that regardless of labels you simply have nothing at all on offer to evidence your idea there is a god.

None at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
It requires an equal amount of faith to believe there is no God as there is to believe there is one.
This claim is entirely false. There is no evidence, argument, data or reasons on offer to even begin to think there is a god. So it certainly is not "equal".

If I were to tell you that later today a pink with purple pokka dot VW Beetle was going to appear out of thin air above your head and fall on you... and then I told you it would take an "equal amount of faith" to believe me or not.... you would laugh at me.

You would laugh at me because the idea is so absurd that the chances my claim is true is so small as to be non existant. Of course it is POSSIBLE the event will happen, but it is far..... far far far far far far far far far far far...... from an "equal" thing.

Similarly there is simply no reason on offer... much less from you... to think there is a god. So no, it is not "equal". Not even close. Try again. Or don't. Just come back with one of your meaningless one liners that you have used in this thread on anyone who debunks your nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,678,154 times
Reputation: 2203
I was listening to a debate on Intelligence Squared, and this guy basically said: religious people love to be offended when you question their beliefs, "That offends me!"......"Well, so ****ing what?" Lol. Hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
 
1,595 posts, read 2,372,383 times
Reputation: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
other people's thoughts and comments should be worth the "valuing"......Common courtesy would be to keep your delusions to yourself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How about just simple common courtesy? How about valuing other people just because they are human beings like you?

None of us have to be disagreeable to disagree. That's a choice.
Well the way to do that with someone who says I'll pray for you would be to say Thank You just like you would to some who says to you I wish you well or I hope all goes well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,678,154 times
Reputation: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Yum!
A woman that is beautiful and smart is definitely rare lol. That was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,519 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
This is not true, but even if it was it would have one advantage over your god. We can at least show "human reason" exists, which is something you have not even started to do. However as people keep telling you, atheism is a "belief" in the same way as NOT collecting stamps can be considered a "hobby".

However if you are really interested in discourse you might find it more helpful, and almost more honest, to come on here and ASK people what it is they believe instead of doing what you have been for the last few pages.... which is to pretend to know already and tell people what they themselves believe.

For your information what most of the people you call "atheist" believe is that there are many 1000s of claims being made by people every day and there has been for a long time and there will be for a long time. There are too many claims being made on too many subjects to consider them all.

So the only sane and workable approach is to say "ANY claim that comes before me with not just little evidence to support it... but actually NO evidence to support it, then just dismiss that claim and move on".

GIVEN you have NO evidence, argument, data OR reasons to even begin to lend credence to the idea there is a god entity therefore, we simply dismiss your idea and move on. You can quibble over whether to call that "atheism" or "agnosticism" all you want.

It would help if you read up on what agnostic means first though as you have got it wrong already in this thread. Hint: Thomas Huxley created the word so rather than citing the Webster dictionary you would do better to go read what he said it means.

However whatever label you go with in the end really does not matter. The fact remains that regardless of labels you simply have nothing at all on offer to evidence your idea there is a god.

None at all.



This claim is entirely false. There is no evidence, argument, data or reasons on offer to even begin to think there is a god. So it certainly is not "equal".

If I were to tell you that later today a pink with purple pokka dot VW Beetle was going to appear out of thin air above your head and fall on you... and then I told you it would take an "equal amount of faith" to believe me or not.... you would laugh at me.

You would laugh at me because the idea is so absurd that the chances my claim is true is so small as to be non existant. Of course it is POSSIBLE the event will happen, but it is far..... far far far far far far far far far far far...... from an "equal" thing.

Similarly there is simply no reason on offer... much less from you... to think there is a god. So no, it is not "equal". Not even close. Try again. Or don't. Just come back with one of your meaningless one liners that you have used in this thread on anyone who debunks your nonsense.
For the 900th time, I freely admit that I, nor anyone else, can pr ove the existence of God using human logic. I worship God. It's a faith -- if I could definitively prove that God exists, no faith would be required. That's like Darwinism -- it's a faith, a religion, every bit as unprovable as my faith. I've got many variations fo the Pink Polka Dot analogy, and what you don't understand is that the belief in God, or gods, is pretty much universally accepted around the world -- except for atheists. You're in the vast, vast, vast minority. The only thing different is that you refuse to admit you might be wrong. That's your faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top