U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
 
Location: NH/Englewood, FL
1,076 posts, read 598,640 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
A woman that is beautiful and smart is definitely rare lol. That was amazing.
That's not too sexist... I'm sure you're a Brad Pitt lookalike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,490 posts, read 1,351,536 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
For the 900th time, I freely admit that I, nor anyone else, can pr ove the existence of God using human logic. I worship God. It's a faith -- if I could definitively prove that God exists, no faith would be required. That's like Darwinism -- it's a faith, a religion, every bit as unprovable as my faith. I've got many variations fo the Pink Polka Dot analogy, and what you don't understand is that the belief in God, or gods, is pretty much universally accepted around the world -- except for atheists. You're in the vast, vast, vast minority. The only thing different is that you refuse to admit you might be wrong. That's your faith.
29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent

Evolution isn't based on faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
 
Location: NH/Englewood, FL
1,076 posts, read 598,640 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I was listening to a debate on Intelligence Squared, and this guy basically said: religious people love to be offended when you question their beliefs, "That offends me!"......"Well, so ****ing what?" Lol. Hilarious.

I'm not offended when my beliefs are questioned -- I welcome questions about my faith. What I'm offended by are denegrating people for their beliefs. It's ignorant, malevolent, and intellectually lazy. It's so much easier to to berate someone than it is to provide a substantive presentation of one's beliefs. It's rather doltish, in my estimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,490 posts, read 1,351,536 times
Reputation: 858
I don't know why I bothered coming up with my own posts when Talk Origins says all of this more eloquently than I can. Another page from it:

CA612: Evolution requiring faith

Quote:
Claim CA612:

Because evolution has never been observed, the theory of evolution requires as much faith as creationism does.
Source:

Morris, Henry M. 1985. Scientific Creationism. Green Forest, AR: Master Books, p. 4.
Response:

The theory of evolution is based on evidence that has been observed. There is a great amount of this evidence. When evidence is found to contradict previous conclusions, those conclusions are abandoned, and new beliefs based on the new evidence take their place. This "seeing is believing" basis for the theory is exactly the opposite of the sort of faith implied by the claim.

The claim implicitly equates faith with believing things without any basis for the belief. Such faith is better known as gullibility. Equating this sort of belief with faith places faith in God on exactly the same level as belief in UFOs, Bigfoot, and modern Elvis sightings.

A truly meaningful faith is not simply about belief. Belief alone does not mean anything. A true faith implies acceptance and trust; it is the feeling that whatever happens, things will somehow be okay. Such faith is not compatible with most creationism. Creationism usually demands that God acts according to peoples' set beliefs, and anything else is simply wrong (e.g., ICR 2000). It cannot accept that whatever God has done is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
24,639 posts, read 17,848,761 times
Reputation: 9829
Respect?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM
 
5,163 posts, read 1,856,061 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
For the 900th time, I freely admit that I, nor anyone else, can pr ove the existence of God using human logic. I worship God. It's a faith -- if I could definitively prove that God exists, no faith would be required.
I am afraid this point is about as useful as the figure 900 is accurate. That is to say: Not at all.

The issue is that anyone who comes up with any insane idea can just as easily say what you just said. It is just a cop out justification for believing nonsense. The man mad in the asylum who thinks he is Napolean reincarnated can just as easily say "I can not prove it, I just believe it".

So if the world is full of people spouting nonsense and then following it up with cop out excuses for believing that nonsense as you just did then how are we to differentiate your claims from that of... say... the loon or mad man? We need a methodology to differentiate your words from any one else who simply makes something up off the top of their head. You are not offering one. Nor do I beleive you are capable of offering one given the absence of any evidence, argument, data OR reasons to lend your position even a modicum of credence.

And there is an intellectual dishonesty inherent in this too in that you likely reject the beliefs of many other people, despite the fact they give the exact same justification as you just did. When you understand why you reject theirs as baseless, you will understand why we reject yours.

There is no reasons on offer to believe the stuff you are coming out with. None at all. You have just decided to believe anyway. And as the topic of the thread states: I see no reason whatsoever to respect that, let alone pander to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
You're in the vast, vast, vast minority.
Irrelevant. Something is either true, or false. It can not be both. The number of people who think it is true (or in this case who YOU think thinks it is true) does not make it "more" true. Even if every person on the planet except 1 thought the earth was flat, that would not mean everyone was right and the 1 person was wrong. You would do well to look up the "Argumentum ad populum" fallacy. It is a fallacy for a reason and you just commmitted it. Alas it seems Fallacy is all that supports your position and pointless off topic ad hominem one liners like "Darwinism is faith" and "you refuse to admit you could be wrong" which you love to hide behind are not going to change that fact, or troll a reaction or a derail out of me just because you like to use tangents to cop out of being cornered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: NH/Englewood, FL
1,076 posts, read 598,640 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am afraid this point is about as useful as the figure 900 is accurate. That is to say: Not at all.

The issue is that anyone who comes up with any insane idea can just as easily say what you just said. It is just a cop out justification for believing nonsense. The man mad in the asylum who thinks he is Napolean reincarnated can just as easily say "I can not prove it, I just believe it".

So if the world is full of people spouting nonsense and then following it up with cop out excuses for believing that nonsense as you just did then how are we to differentiate your claims from that of... say... the loon or mad man? We need a methodology to differentiate your words from any one else who simply makes something up off the top of their head. You are not offering one. Nor do I beleive you are capable of offering one given the absence of any evidence, argument, data OR reasons to lend your position even a modicum of credence.

And there is an intellectual dishonesty inherent in this too in that you likely reject the beliefs of many other people, despite the fact they give the exact same justification as you just did. When you understand why you reject theirs as baseless, you will understand why we reject yours.

There is no reasons on offer to believe the stuff you are coming out with. None at all. You have just decided to believe anyway. And as the topic of the thread states: I see no reason whatsoever to respect that, let alone pander to it.



Irrelevant. Something is either true, or false. It can not be both. The number of people who think it is true (or in this case who YOU think thinks it is true) does not make it "more" true. Even if every person on the planet except 1 thought the earth was flat, that would not mean everyone was right and the 1 person was wrong. You would do well to look up the "Argumentum ad populum" fallacy. It is a fallacy for a reason and you just commmitted it. Alas it seems Fallacy is all that supports your position and pointless off topic ad hominem one liners like "Darwinism is faith" and "you refuse to admit you could be wrong" which you love to hide behind are not going to change that fact, or troll a reaction or a derail out of me just because you like to use tangents to cop out of being cornered.
And it doesn't make your beliefs less false. Darwinism has yet to be proved as scientific fact, and even the scientific community hasn't recognized it as such. Are you that much more intellectually advanced than educated scientists who have devoted their lives to the study of the subject? Now that's arrogance! Sheesh

Last edited by kiggy; 08-12-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Location: NH/Englewood, FL
1,076 posts, read 598,640 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Respect?
I've never said those things to an atheist in my life, out of common decent courtesy. I wish your garden variety atheist would do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,490 posts, read 1,351,536 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
And it doesn't make your beliefs less fault. Darwinism has yet to be proved as scientific fact, and even the scientific community hasn't recognized it as such. Are you that much more intellectually advanced than educated scientists who have devoted their lives to the study of the subject? Now that's arrogance! Sheesh
Why are you still posting this crap when I've offered 29 pieces of evidence for evolution that you haven't made any attempt at disproving? Do you think that if you say 29 times that evolution isn't proven that it'll counter the evidence? Maybe you should work on your logic.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: NH/Englewood, FL
1,076 posts, read 598,640 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corleone View Post
LMAO @ "implausible arguments". You need to work on your vocabulary, as you unintentionally slam yourself with every post.

You believe a magic sky daddy created the earth like some kind of lasagna, then impregnated a teenage girl with his "son", and sent the son to his death, resurrected him, and swooped him up to heaven like an alien tractor beam. In and amongst all ths, Sky Daddy flooded the entire world save for all animals on some boat, allowed some guy's family to be murdered and his skin to suffer boils for his own amusement, and destroyed 2 entire cities (including, ostensibly, infants and children) because of the "wickedness" in those towns (because mass-murder isn't wicked or anything).

For you to believe all this and then lecture other peopla about "plausibility" is, in itself, worthy of much more ridicule than we're heaping on you.

Please point out my flaws in vocabulary and how I "slam myself". Please expand on that profound thought.

In my post, I was referring to the atheist's implausible arguments -- like how a fish walked out some body of water, decided that he was going to, just for the heck of it, evolve into a human being. Not a dog, not a cockroach, but a man. Wait, stop the presses! That's not what Darwin meant -- he meant that apes evolved into man -- wait, no, it was definitely fish. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

And I'm no apologist for God -- He's Sovereign, and hH can bloody do whatever He wants with the creation that spurns and scoffs Him, sort of like what you're doing here, Vito, or Sonny, or whatever Corleone you are. If the pot is misshapen and turns out wrong, the potter rolls it back up and re-creates it. The pot does not crush the potter -- it doesn't have the ability to do so even if it wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top