U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,257 times
Reputation: 950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Why are you still posting this crap when I've offered 29 pieces of evidence for evolution that you haven't made any attempt at disproving? Do you think that if you say 29 times that evolution isn't proven that it'll counter the evidence? Maybe you should work on your logic.

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent
Because you lost me when the first sentence says, "Evolution, the overarching concept that unifies the biological sciences, in fact embraces a plurality of theories and hypotheses". Note on reference to fact that he's trying to prove that it's fact. Again, facts, please Kenshi. I know it's all theory and hypotheses (which are by definitiion "educated guesses").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,602,959 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Because you lost me when the first sentence says, "Evolution, the overarching concept that unifies the biological sciences, in fact embraces a plurality of theories and hypotheses". Note on reference to fact that he's trying to prove that it's fact. Again, facts, please Kenshi. I know it's all theory and hypotheses (which are by definitiion "educated guesses").
If you had read more than the first sentence, you would've seen it's full of facts and observances. Let's start here:

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 1

How can you demonstrate that all these many findings of species that are transitions between different phyla/classes are not evidence for evolution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,257 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corleone View Post
Because "implausible" is the definition of what you believe. Yet you say our beliefs are "implausible."



It's so crystal clear that you know absolutely nothing about evolution

If you're going to devote time to slamming a theory, at least take the time to understand it. I understand your religion, as I was raised on it.

Now it's your turn. Start here:

Amazon.com: The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution (9781416594789): Richard Dawkins: Books

It's $18 plus shipping.



Again, so it was told to you by desert-dwellers from millennia past who, if brought to life today, would be terrified of, among other things, lunar eclipses and your menstrual cycle.

Enjoy that belief!
If you're offering to buy it for me, great -- I'll PM you with my address. But if you're expecting ME to pay for that fish wrapper, no thanks. I'd rather read the autobiography of Justin Bieber - a lot more thought provoking, I would imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,257 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I don't know why I bothered coming up with my own posts when Talk Origins says all of this more eloquently than I can. Another page from it:

CA612: Evolution requiring faith

"When evidence is found to contradict previous conclusions, those conclusions are abandoned, and new beliefs based on the new evidence take their place. This "seeing is believing" basis for the theory is exactly the opposite of the sort of faith implied by the claim"

New beliefs, not new facts. See, you throw away a monkey, and you gain a fish. Tell me when they "see" a pastrami sandwich as the new origin of the species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
 
16,082 posts, read 17,876,536 times
Reputation: 15867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Please point out my flaws in vocabulary and how I "slam myself". Please expand on that profound thought.

In my post, I was referring to the atheist's implausible arguments -- like how a fish walked out some body of water, decided that he was going to, just for the heck of it, evolve into a human being. Not a dog, not a cockroach, but a man. Wait, stop the presses! That's not what Darwin meant -- he meant that apes evolved into man -- wait, no, it was definitely fish. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
The fish did not DECIDE anything. Neither did the ape.

Btw, the invasive walking fish is now being found throughout the south

Invasive "Walking" Fish Found Across U.S. South

Quote:
Snakeheads, the razor-toothed Asian fish that can walk on land and has attacked humans, have been reported across the southern United States, the Interior Department has warned.

The largest species of the bizarre freshwater fish, which can grow to four feet long (1.2 meters), has been found in open waters in Florida. In addition, illegal live snakeheads have been confiscated in Texas, Alabama, and Kentucky and are being sold over the Internet, the agency said.
Admittedly, these were imported from Asia, but still, they are here in the US now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,552 posts, read 5,397,259 times
Reputation: 4137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
.... atheist's implausible arguments -- like how a fish walked out some body of water, decided that he was going to, just for the heck of it, evolve into a human being.
This is a lie, you've never heard that argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,602,959 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
"When evidence is found to contradict previous conclusions, those conclusions are abandoned, and new beliefs based on the new evidence take their place. This "seeing is believing" basis for the theory is exactly the opposite of the sort of faith implied by the claim"

New beliefs, not new facts. See, you throw away a monkey, and you gain a fish. Tell me when they "see" a pastrami sandwich as the new origin of the species.
Fact: Fossils have been found showing a gradual transition from chimpanzees to humans, from reptiles to birds, from reptiles to mammals, as well as others.

Fact: The theory of evolution is by far the most accepted explanation for this among biologists. There is no competing theory that holds any merit.

Fact: Mankind has witnessed speciation firsthand.

How many facts do you need? My link has plenty of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,872 posts, read 31,747,081 times
Reputation: 12620
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.........Carl Sagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,257 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The fish did not DECIDE anything. Neither did the ape.

Btw, the invasive walking fish is now being found throughout the south

Invasive "Walking" Fish Found Across U.S. South



Admittedly, these were imported from Asia, but still, they are here in the US now.
Hey, great pic! Love those walking fish! I don't deny the existence of such fish, but turning into man... you have to admit, Nana, that's quite a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,257 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
If you had read more than the first sentence, you would've seen it's full of facts and observances. Let's start here:

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 1

How can you demonstrate that all these many findings of species that are transitions between different phyla/classes are not evidence for evolution?
Why after all these years has NO ONE come out and said "Evolution is Fact?" No one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top