U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-13-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,874 posts, read 31,747,081 times
Reputation: 12622

Advertisements

I'm beginning to understand.......The concept of denial is particularly important to the study of addiction. The theory of denial was first researched seriously by Anna Freud. She classified denial as a mechanism of the immature mind, because it conflicts with the ability to learn from and cope with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,552 posts, read 5,397,259 times
Reputation: 4147
Sigmund also touched on those ideas when he referred to the "infantilism of religion" --or as he so bluntly characterized it, "the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,165,338 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
There is no empirical proof that evolution is fact. Carl Sagan didn't say it, and if he did, he'd too have to prove it. It's a belief system. An hypothesis. At the very best, a guess. It's a religion. Believe in it if you must. But it's cold comfort when you go through life and what life throws at you. Believe in your theories when a son or daughter dies, or when you're kicked out of your house, or you're diagnosed with stage four cancer. The tenets of Darwinism won't sustain your through the darkest points in your life. Human reason won't get you through a nasty divorce. Unfortunately, that's YOUR delusion.
You know, you don't have to listen to anything anyone has to say about evolution here. There is so much great information out there that you could research it yourself to find the truth.
If by empirical evidence you mean evidence that is demonstrable and repeatable, there is plenty of it.

You have been given many excellent links. There is no excuse for you to display such an astonishing level of ignorance of the subject.
You repeat over and over that evolution is a belief system, a hypothesis, or a guess when you have been given clear evidence that this is not so.
You deny the evidence with no counter argument.
Surely you are aware that many believers accept evolution as fact.
They accept evolution because they have taken the time to learn about the subject. Something you have never done.
All the silly things you say about evolution are just plain wrong and don't represent what evolution actually is at all. It is, quite simply put, gradual changes over a very long period of time.

The rest of your post is very confusing to me.
Are you saying that believers only believe because bad things happen in life and that is the only way they can deal with it?
Or that atheists don't believe in god because they have never had bad things happen to them? This seems like an argument for atheism.
Atheists certainly aren't immune to the crap life throws at you.

I don't know what the "tenets of Darwinism" are. And if they could help a person deal with life's adversities, would they be bad solely because they are competition for god belief?

I think human reason would get you through a bad divorce, because people who are reasonable aren't likely to have a bad divorce in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,874 posts, read 31,747,081 times
Reputation: 12622
The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window..........Stephen King
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,316,864 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm beginning to understand.......The concept of denial is particularly important to the study of addiction. The theory of denial was first researched seriously by Anna Freud. She classified denial as a mechanism of the immature mind, because it conflicts with the ability to learn from and cope with reality.
Boggles them mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 11:35 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,847,719 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
insult him? lol calling his delusions out is not insulting.
His comments are insulting to ME because it makes me lose faith in human kind's intelligence and common sense!
What do you mean by "faith?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,316,864 times
Reputation: 1786
Sizzly great post (I still luvz you 2 much)

Projection is the mantra of the religious as they assume we are all alike.

Why would god need to get you through a divorce in the 1st place? You should not divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,736,927 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
What I'm describing is an agnostic atheist, which is what most atheists are. There's no such thing as a person who isn't a theist nor an atheist.
I beg to differ Kenshi, plenty of Agnostics, such as our esteemed Albert Einstein, are pure Agnostics... in that they think the chances of the existence of one or more gods is 50-50. In that either God exists, or he doesn't; irrespective of the evidences put forth; or specifically because they have not been convinced either way, yet they agree that god could exist. thus, they belief they are agnostic, but they don't believe that they have good enough evidence to say whether or not gods exist. In fact, I used to be a pure Agnostic. Now, if you are using the word athiest as "non-religious" or "non-theist", then I suppose you would be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,736,927 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Belief in something requires faith. So atheism, then is a religion, right?
If they gathered together around some specifics of their common beliefs, then yes, they would be able to make a religion, an atheistic religion. however, Atheism by itself is as much a religion as Theism is. Even confessing Satanists are theists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,602,959 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Now, if you are using the word athiest as "non-religious" or "non-theist", then I suppose you would be right.
It does mean "non-theist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top