U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2011, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,874 posts, read 31,754,043 times
Reputation: 12622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I beg to differ Kenshi, plenty of Agnostics, such as our esteemed Albert Einstein, are pure Agnostics... in that they think the chances of the existence of one or more gods is 50-50. In that either God exists, or he doesn't; irrespective of the evidences put forth; or specifically because they have not been convinced either way, yet they agree that god could exist. thus, they belief they are agnostic, but they don't believe that they have good enough evidence to say whether or not gods exist. In fact, I used to be a pure Agnostic. Now, if you are using the word athiest as "non-religious" or "non-theist", then I suppose you would be right.
I wouldn't say that Einstein was a "pure agnostic" in light of many of his recorded quotes.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954) From Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM
 
16,089 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Reputation: 15889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Sizzly great post (I still luvz you 2 much)

Projection is the mantra of the religious as they assume we are all alike.

Why would god need to get you through a divorce in the 1st place? You should not divorce.
And fewer atheists and non-believers actually do divorce

Atheist Empire: Atheist Population Statistics

Quote:
Religion

% have been divorced
Jews
30%
Born-again Christians
27%
Other Christians
24%
Atheists, Agnostics
21%

The Associated Press computed divorce statistics from data supplied by the U.S. Census Bureau and the National Center for Health. They showed that the highest divorce rates were found in the 'Bible Belt'. "Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama and Oklahoma round out the Top Five in frequency of divorce...the divorce rates in these conservative states are roughly 50 percent above the national average" of 4.2/1000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,794 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
If they gathered together around some specifics of their common beliefs, then yes, they would be able to make a religion, an atheistic religion. however, Atheism by itself is as much a religion as Theism is. Even confessing Satanists are theists.
Agreed. One might also say that atheists are also theist in that they worship the great god human logic. Hmm.. atheists as theists... I like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,794 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
And fewer atheists and non-believers actually do divorce

Atheist Empire: Atheist Population Statistics


And your point? My hypothesis is that there are fewer atheists out there to pick from, hence they tend to stick with the one they have. That's only a theory; I haven't heard anywhere that it's a fact yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,617 posts, read 2,063,258 times
Reputation: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Agreed. One might also say that atheists are also theist in that they worship the great god human logic. Hmm.. atheists as theists... I like it!
Reminds me of the old Mikey commercial except....... lets get kiggy to believe it, he believes anything.


Life cereal: Mikey likes it! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,458 posts, read 1,491,794 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Reminds me of the old Mikey commercial except....... lets get kiggy to believe it, he believes anything.


Life cereal: Mikey likes it! - YouTube


Love Mikey! Dates me, I suppose. By the way, I'm a "she".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,605 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
The Oxford dictionary has a better definition.
It has the same one as the actual definition from Atheism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary. What is interesting is that what is actually written in the Merriam-Webster dictionary is different from what kiggy told us was there. Maybe they're just used to dealing with a credulous audience and the lies are OK as long as they promote the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,605 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Ah, but we have proven there is no life on the moon empirically, actual life or animated! ( I do love Marvin Martian, though -- thanks for posting him!)
Sounds like someone's confusing absence of evidence with evidence of absence. Right after telling us that absence of evidence for god is expected and shouldn't make disbelieve. I guess that's typical - the only way god stays plausible is if you don't apply too much reality to the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,605 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Now, if you are using the word athiest as "non-religious" or "non-theist", then I suppose you would be right.
How else could you possibly use the word? That's what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Agreed. One might also say that atheists are also theist in that they worship the great god human logic. Hmm.. atheists as theists... I like it!
Clearly you are an atheist, as you have no understanding of the 'god of human logic' as evidenced by this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top