U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 PM

10,513 posts, read 10,333,985 times

Advertisements

You don't have to respect anything you don't want to, the choice is yours. The only thing you have to do is live and die, what you choose to do in between them is completely up to you, however if you choose to respect others then it's possible that they will respect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 AM

16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times

Hitchens Thinking On His Feet - One of My Favourite Answers - YouTube

Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,048,650 times
Why are we expected to 'respect' other people's delusions?

That they believe we should respect their delusions, is but another of their delusions.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 AM

118 posts, read 97,359 times
The grand irony so far in this thread (at least with the more recent posts) is the claim that theists are second rate, unintelligent and just flat out arrogant. And it seems the posts from many atheists in this thread are otherwise? I liken some of what I read to a school yard fight where one child chants "My dad can't beat up your dad." What nonsense... thoughtful discussion is always welcomed in the quest for knowledge. Someone like Christopher Hitchens knows this, and even though he debates theists, he ALWAYS extends them respect and even makes it fun. I have a good number of atheist friends that I dialogue with in a calm, intellectual manner. It is a shame others can't do the same.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,404,886 times
I've received a few extremely sexually vulgar anonymous "reps" [from, I assume. certain thread contributors] who then disappeared from the forum after I reported them.

I looked back in the thread and evidently a certain theist was very unhappy about a simple bible passage reference I had made. Rather than have a civilized discourse about it, he wiped the foam from his mouth and attacked anonymously.

Some others members posted that they had the exact same type of rep abuse at the time.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,127,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
The grand irony so far in this thread (at least with the more recent posts) is the claim that theists are second rate, unintelligent and just flat out arrogant. And it seems the posts from many atheists in this thread are otherwise? I liken some of what I read to a school yard fight where one child chants "My dad can't beat up your dad." What nonsense... thoughtful discussion is always welcomed in the quest for knowledge. Someone like Christopher Hitchens knows this, and even though he debates theists, he ALWAYS extends them respect and even makes it fun. I have a good number of atheist friends that I dialogue with in a calm, intellectual manner. It is a shame others can't do the same.
You are expecting to much from an internet forum friend.

What is the difference between City-data, your friends, and Christopher Hitchens?

The latter 2 are not anonymous.

You are familiar with Anonymity + Internet Connection = Raging Jackass.

Just take a look at the Christian posts in religion and philosophy if you require any further proof.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM

12,193 posts, read 9,895,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?
Yes. Call it religion and we have to listen to you use it in public policy debates as if it mattered. Makes me nuts.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,227,966 times
"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing.

The child-mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be in after-years relieved of them. In fact, men will fight for a superstition quite as quickly as for a living truth - often more so, since a superstition is so intangible you can not get at it to refute it, but truth is a point of view, and so is changeable."
-Hypatia of Alexandra 370-415 AD.

Hypatia - A Victim of Bigotry | Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/articles/hypatia-victim-bigotry - broken link)

Hypatia was a brilliant woman mathematician, philosopher, astronomer and teacher at the Great Library of Alexandria.... Before some Christian thug "monks" flayed her alive with sharp tiles, then tore he body apart and burnt her....at the behest of Bishop Cyril (who was later named a Saint).

Old 11-17-2015, 01:09 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,866,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
You're not. But it's a two way street.

That is, if you badmouth someone else's religion, and expect not to be confronted in some way, you are under some kind of delusion. And a hypocrite. Simple as that. You don't need to like every religion that comes along, but you are expected to keep it to yourself if you don't want other people telling you about how Stalin and other communist leaders were atheists, and they killed alot of people. You don't want to hear it, any more than we want to hear the tired accusations against Christianity.

Also, it's "ridiculed". Not rediculed.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 PM

13,719 posts, read 5,529,326 times
< discussion will continue in the year 2021 >
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism