U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,625,826 times

Advertisements

I want to explain what I mean.
If we, somehow, all had to be apart of some kind of religion/spiritual beliefs, of all of the religions/beliefs which one would you choose -- and why?

The simple answer for me would be Roman Catholic, as I come from an Italian family and that's their thing (though in reality, I don't know anyone who practices, they are like most who use religion as a fashion accessory lol). It would also be nice to sometimes "stop thinking" and just fit in with people.

But that's an easy answer, just a way to fit in with the majority. Going beyond the concept of just being Catholic/Christian, I probably could see myself getting heavily into Wiccan. I can't say I understand it 100%, but I do know that, for the most part, it's not like organized religion. It's more.. spiritual. It's a set of beliefs that aren't that crazy and hard to believe (Again, I'm a Wiccan noob so there may be some crazy Moderator cut: inappropriate language . It seems like it's a "religion" to celebrate the sun, moon, stars, the earth -- things we can see and obviously have a big importance in our lives.

So what about you?
I hope I'm not the only one who would finds this interesting, lol

Also: This doesn't solely apply to Athiests/Agnostics. If you are of a believer, the question for you would be if you were to be apart of another religion, which would you choose and why?

Last edited by june 7th; 05-25-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,141,650 times
As an Atheist they're all about the same to me, one fantasy is no different than any other. However, I'd much rather stomach sitting in Church one day a week than messing with high school spells or magic or any of that goofy nonsense.

So whatever church is closer gets my vote.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 AM

142 posts, read 315,685 times
I'm Jewish (though I guess agnostic), and if I were to choose a different religion, I'd be a Unitarian Universalist. Or a Quaker perhaps.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,060,351 times
Buddhism. Many theists criticize it as an "atheistic religion," yet to me this is one of its strongest appeals. No matter how burdened it has become with myth and ritual over 2,500 years, its was founded by a man who claimed only to be a man, and who claimed no divine revelation in his own practice and teaching. In fact, Buddhism might be regarded as a practice, rather than as a religion.

Taoism. This ancient religion appeals to me because it suggests that a powerful (and ultimately benevolent) presence--the Tao--permeates and guides all of creation, but in ways so mysterious and advanced from human comprehension that it cannot be turned into a "god" and thus worshipped as a deity.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM

13,146 posts, read 19,478,269 times
I could never go back to any orgainzed religion. If I had to choose a religion or cease to exist I would have to invent my own nature cult or something...

Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM

5,725 posts, read 6,916,075 times
I think I'd enjoy something devoted to Bacchus. A religion that demands drinking, carousing and fornication? What's not to like about that?

(BTW, Bacchus/Dionysus is also a 'born again' mythology...pre-dating, of course, Christianity.)

Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,376,758 times
Put me down for worshiping the FSM. No demands and what he offers is delicious.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 8,535,121 times
Buddhism, Zen, and/or Taoism. They are non-theistic highly ethical, adaptable, and science-compatible philosophies for living well.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,588,499 times
I have tried more than one belief. To be honest for 25+ years I found Agnosticism to be a better choice then established Religion. Although during that period I did live a philosophy based upon Zen Buddhism.

After fighting against Islam for 65 years of my life, I came to find it to be one that discourages blind faith/following, insists upon individual responsibility and demands a follower to always verify what he believes. The total opposite of what I had long thought it to be.

For me I find the insistence upon a one-one belief in the word of Allaah(swt) with no intermidaries and full responsibility to be upon the believer, to be the most logical of all religions. so, it became my way of life.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM

166 posts, read 116,142 times
Like George Carlin, I'd worship the sun.

It is, after all, the source of all life on earth. It's the closest thing to a non-fictional deity we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism