U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,111,274 times

Advertisements

So lets say the rapture did happen this weekend - what would you guys do?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,279,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
To be honest, I hate ridiculous "what if" questions like this. It always feels like a dishonest attempt to get me to contemplate some nonsensical happenstance to gauge the latent religious holdings theists assume I hold.

It always seems to start with "If the Rapture happened this weekend, what would you do?" Often enough, this begins a chain of other questioning which seeks to undermine my own position that this Rapture stuff is a complete waste of time.

The mere acknowledgment or playing along with this line of questioning is typically only a gateway that this particular mind virus attempts to use as a starting point to infect an otherwise innocent person's mind.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:39 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,111,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
To be honest, I hate ridiculous "what if" questions like this. It always feels like a dishonest attempt to get me to contemplate some nonsensical happenstance to gauge the latent religious holdings theists assume I hold.

It always seems to start with "If the Rapture happened this weekend, what would you do?" Often enough, this begins a chain of other questioning which seeks to undermine my own position that this Rapture stuff is a complete waste of time.

The mere acknowledgment or playing along with this line of questioning is typically only a gateway that this particular mind virus attempts to use as a starting point to infect an otherwise innocent person's mind.
Responses like yours are what give nonsense credit. Yes, it's a nonsense question, and should be responded to with nonsense answers (or ignored) right back.

Stop thinking everyone's out to get you - I'm an Atheist, this is all fantasy and well - treat it as such...

Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,207,122 times
Quote:
Open up my chinese restaura...I mean atheist pet care business...

Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM

2,637 posts, read 10,943,672 times
To quote Billy Joel -

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM

651 posts, read 1,277,216 times
Well, according to the pastor's from my youth, I would be convinced that aliens selectively kidnapped all the christians and I would be wondering if all the tabloid stories about anal probes and such were true. After pondering that for awhile, I'd trot down to the local microchip station and get my mark of the beast. Then, I guess I'd take my new chip out for a test run at the liquor store; and, since our christian nation doesn't have christians anymore, I'd act out all my evil atheist desires. For example, I'd probably collect as many poor homeless pets as I could and feed them. I might consider cleaning up all those clothes left on the streets after the christians disappeared. You get the idea; I'd try to help clean up the mess they left behind.

Of course, later, I would get my just desserts when Jesus and his followers returned to defeat satan and his evil minions. I guess, ultimately I would be roasting in hell and regretting not listening to the warnings that all the CD posters gave me!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,883,270 times
Quote:
Same as I do every night Pinky, try to take over the world.

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-19-2011 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPFSNu_QNs

Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,294,416 times
Hopefully, I would be standing with my feet firmly on solid ground and feel sorry for the deceived people who believe they are ascending to be with Jesus(as). If the rapture does occur I would not think it was the work of God(swt) but rather the result of other forces.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,883,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Hopefully, I would be standing with my feet firmly on solid ground and feel sorry for the deceived people who believe they are ascending to be with Jesus(as). If the rapture does occur I would not think it was the work of God(swt) but rather the result of other forces.
Your right, It could just be Upsidaisium...

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kRFPJ0fnEQ

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 PM

53 posts, read 133,798 times
My 10 year old daughter brought this up today about the end of the world. It's her first taste of radical christian mythology scare-tactics. I don't speak to her about religion, as I want her to make up her own mind through her own experiences.

But I couldn't help myself today, I had to explain to her that sometimes "when a mommy or daddy really loves a god, they..."

I mean really where do people get off on this. "The end of the world is coming" has been going on for thousands of years, and every time it comes up short.

Anyways, "if" it does happen, I will probably have to smoke some herb since I wouldn't have to worry about getting drug tested anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism