U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:49 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,887,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Lol, yeah - I can't walk the streets without seeing atheists hanging from nooses on trees!
Nice strawman.

Of course, you don't see any atheists elected President, either. And it wasn't too long ago that you most certainly could see atheists hanging from trees or being burnt at the stake. And you would again if many Christians had their way, and the power they once enjoyed. It wouldn't just be the atheists in their nooses either.

Quote:
If you think atheists experience racism and segregation just the same as what blacks experienced - you've must of been taught a real short and light version of history.
Pretty much the same. The only difference is blacks cannot hide their skin color whereas atheists, deists and other rationalists can easily blend in with Christians (our founding fathers were good at it). Doesn't change the bigotry and segregation one bit. It is obviously you who are sorely ignorant of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,008,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
No it is NOT absolutely moronic...... As the United States becomes multi-religious the Christian Majority will have to understand that there are laws on the books making it illegal to bring religion into the schools. It does not matter what the majority wants. It is the law that religion not come into public schools.

In my kids school they do NOT sing Christmas songs during the holiday at school. They do not have Christmas activities or decorate for Christmas. If they did I would have a problem with it and I would complain.

My parents were seen as trouble makers for going up against the school for teaching religion in the public school. But they did because they knew the law.

This boy was right in what he did..

Uh-oh.

I'll need to make sure nobody knows where I went to grade school ~ they still let the kids out of school for a 30-minute parade through town ~ IN COSTUME! ~ for Halloween! And they still call it Halloween ~ in a liberal state, no less! (Although Halloween isn't celebrated by a lot of Christians. . . never been a problem in my hometown.)

Last edited by Bluesmama; 05-28-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,113,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Nice strawman.

Of course, you don't see any atheists elected President, either. And it wasn't too long ago that you most certainly could see atheists hanging from trees or being burnt at the stake. And you would again if many Christians had their way, and the power they once enjoyed. It wouldn't just be the atheists in their nooses either.

Pretty much the same. The only difference is blacks cannot hide their skin color whereas atheists, deists and other rationalists can easily blend in with Christians (our founding fathers were good at it). Doesn't change the bigotry and segregation one bit. It is obviously you who are sorely ignorant of history.
Straw man? No - you made a direct comparison that what atheists experience today is what blacks experienced in the 60's...

Sorry but the "noosed on trees" is part of what they experienced. To gloss over all the horrors and say (from your comfortable chair in front of your computer) what Atheists today face is the same as blacks in the 60 is a bit sort sighted and ignoring history, isn't it?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM

4,464 posts, read 10,011,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Straw man? No - you made a direct comparison that what atheists experience today is what blacks experienced in the 60's...

Sorry but the "noosed on trees" is part of what they experienced. To gloss over all the horrors and say (from your comfortable chair in front of your computer) what Atheists today face is the same as blacks in the 60 is a bit sort sighted and ignoring history, isn't it?
I believe the point was that injustice is injustice, regardless of the severity, it's still wrong.

And as we see here, being an atheist and a righteous person can get you plenty of death treats, surely that is injustice?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,113,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I believe the point was that injustice is injustice, regardless of the severity, it's still wrong.

And as we see here, being an atheist and a righteous person can get you plenty of death treats, surely that is injustice?
Not to me, I specifically jumped in when the Rosa Parks comparison was made.

My only point was that comparing what Atheist today face to what Rosa Parks faced is completely way off.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 PM

4,464 posts, read 10,011,862 times
So injustice and inequality should only be opposed when people are lynched?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,520,849 times
Nobody should wait for the lynching to stop injustice. It would mean that we waited too long. That we were in denial.

My problem with the way things were handled is that it is no different than religious people imposing their beliefs on us without thinking about what they are doing. Yes, there is the law that was broken but sometimes the law exists because people don't know how to behave. We wait until they break it to act, not as bad as murdering people, but waiting too long nonetheless.

I guess changes have to start somewhere, somehow. It is how people learn. Hopefully it empowers him.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,432,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Uh-oh.

I'll need to make sure nobody knows where I went to grade school ~ they still let the kids out of school for a 30-minute parade through town ~ IN COSTUME! ~ for Halloween! And they still call it Halloween ~ in a liberal state, no less! (Although Halloween isn't celebrated by a lot of Christians. . . never been a problem in my hometown.)
You know the snideness is an issue...

My kids did halloween when they were younger. But I would not expect to see it in school because there are many many people who don't, Christians included. I certainly would not my kids getting let out of school to go watch a Halloween parade.

I just don't get how when religious people are faced with accepting that not everyone believes as they do, and that having a captive audience in the public schools is not the place to do religious activities. We need teach children to be respectful of others, and to teach children to understand not everyone believes the way they do.

But the reality is, is that it is against the law to bring religious activities into the public schools.

The fact that schools still do it and then folks get upset when someone dares to say anything is absolutely mind boggling to me.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,520,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

The fact that schools still do it and then folks get upset when someone dares to say anything is absolutely mind boggling to me.
This is where the problem is and has nothing to do with religious folks vs. non-religious folks. It is how many people are raised, for example, I will judge you but how dare you judge me. I will question you but how dare you question me. I will offend you but how dare you offend me.

People are taught not to think beyond the next step they take and are surprised at the reactions. This happens on both sides.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:06 PM

313 posts, read 386,974 times
I wonder how many supporters on this thread think it's perfectly acceptable for schools to take in and educate the children of illegal immigrants? And I don't mean anchor babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or