U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
I wonder how many supporters on this thread think it's perfectly acceptable for schools to take in and educate the children of illegal immigrants? And I don't mean anchor babies.
I don't think it's acceptable for schools to take in and educate illegals. Irregardless of whether the school was obeying the law by having prayer at the graduation, do you think it was acceptable that the kid got death threats because of this? Death threats are in fact a crime, but for some reason this fact seems to be completely ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,981,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
I wonder how many supporters on this thread think it's perfectly acceptable for schools to take in and educate the children of illegal immigrants? And I don't mean anchor babies.
I know what you mean, Joaquin, and I agree with you. But this has been a very good thread, I think. It's stayed on-task and hasn't been hijacked by infantile drifts. I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't do it, either.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,179,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are laws that say you cannot take public office if you are an atheist.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Legislat.../article6.html

Arkansas, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas have constitutions that explicitly forbid atheists from holding state office. They are overridden by the Federal Constitution, but have only recently had any challenges.

Atheists Face Discrimination in the U.S.
Wow, I had no idea my state had this law. Just another reason to leave this place as soon as possible, as if I needed another reason.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,936,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
So injustice and inequality should only be opposed when people are lynched?
If inaction means that Christian majorities get to keep breaking the law, any rationalization will do. Don't think about it too hard - you can be sure that they don't.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,024,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
This is exactly the same as what went on the 60's. Racism was about white privilege and superiority. This is about Christian privilege and superiority. There are in fact a vast number who experienced racism in the 60's (which was strongest in the Christian Bible belt btw) who are fighting right alongside not only non-Christians but also gays to end Christian oppression against those groups.

Oh, and for the last time - I'm not an atheist, thanks. You don't have to be an atheist to be a patriot and defender of the constitution. Of course it does require that you do more than "shut your yap" and yawn "who cares" like you so lazily and cowardly prescribe.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,603,642 times
I read about this a couple of weeks ago and made a small donation to his college fund. I hope he is able to tell his parents to **** off and the school gets sued for their blatant disrespect of his civil rights that are protected by federal law.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,040,740 times
Christianity is a form of religious kudzu, it is an invasive vapid thought form that feels it is a duty to foist their beliefs on the rest of mankind, and, if you are one of us who disagree with their felt right to preach at us at any and all opportunities, well.....you're just considered a "troublemaker".

Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM

8,335 posts, read 9,794,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Damon lives in a highly Christian state, and he admitted to being one of the rare few Christians where he lives. So, in other words, HE decided to change what everyone else was comfortable with for his own self-serving needs. That would be like a Democrat removing all the Republican elections signs from his right-wing neighborhood, or vice-versa.

This is just like that situation in Utah several years ago, in a high school comprised of practically all Mormons, where a Jewish girl in choir decided to file a suit against the school because SHE didn't want to sing Christian songs for the Christmas holiday! Absolutely moronic.

Damon may be atheist but he's created his own private Hell for awhile. His parents did not support his actions, which have likely affected them, too, as citizens of their town.

I see no civil rights concern here. Just a kid full of hostility out to make a name for himself, and he did it, and now he is on his own as an adult. He'll have to deal with his ramifiications for awhile then move on and hopefully make a productive life.
Simply because a majority is ok with violating the rights of an individual doesn't make it allowable. Civil rights laws help to protect a minority from the will of the majority. All are equal in the eyes of the law (ideally). So whether he was the only non-christian in a christian area or a jew in a mormon nest matters not.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,040,740 times
Let me get this straight, christians can foist all sorts of ill-thought out ideas on everybody, but we are not supposed to complain. Also, if we protest because we have differences with religion, then we are the ones with the problem. Also, the school is a function of the state and as such should show no preference for any religion since our constitution plainly says something about separation of church and state, it is not the function of the state to insist upon any citizen accepting any of the gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or