Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,033,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Umm... Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it's impossible for it to happen.
I was being sincere, not satyrious. I never used the word impossible, because that is not what I meant. I sincerely meant that it was weird (in the sense that it's odd and hard to understand) not impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,033,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Atoms aren't appearing, only subatomic particles. They also only appear in vacuums and don't exist for long enough to become part of our bodies.
So... the bigger the vaccum, the bigger and longer-lasting the particles created?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,783,425 times
Good article on the ideas here:

Theoretical breakthrough: Generating matter and antimatter from nothing

Quote:
The scientists and engineers have developed new equations that show how a high-energy electron beam combined with an intense laser pulse could rip apart a vacuum into its fundamental matter and antimatter components, and set off a cascade of events that generates additional pairs of particles and antiparticles.

"We can now calculate how, from a single electron, several hundred particles can be produced. We believe this happens in nature near pulsars and neutron stars," said Igor Sokolov, an engineering research scientist who conducted this research along with associate research scientist John Nees, emeritus electrical engineering professor Gerard Mourou and their colleagues in France.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,043,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I was being sincere, not satyrious. I never used the word impossible, because that is not what I meant. I sincerely meant that it was weird (in the sense that it's odd and hard to understand) not impossible.
Ah. I guess I misunderstood the meaning behind your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
So... the bigger the vaccum, the bigger and longer-lasting the particles created?
I don't think the size of the vacuum has anything to do with it, but I'm not at all certain about that. Here's the wikipedia article on "quantum foam" as it's called:

Quantum foam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism