U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:44 PM

15,310 posts, read 10,333,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't claim to know that.
Then we are in the same boat aren't we.....neither of us know... but whilst I'm happy with leaving it at 'I don't know', you feel a need to fill the gap with... 'an unidentifiable entity that I have no verifiable evidence for did it', .

Quote:
You apparently don't get out much.
Been around the world more times than a satellite mate.

Quote:
I have met at least 6 or 7 who believe that,
....You've met six or 7 out of how many millions?? Compare that with the number of theists that believe their god insta-poofed the universe out of 'absolutely nothing'.

Quote:
Basically your statements seem to come from more of an agnostic point of view IMO. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes you are.... very wrong.

Quote:
But my question is for people who specifically believe that there is not a god at all.
That's me...and I've answered your question...and I suspect it's the same answer you'll get from every atheist here.

Quote:
I am just curious as to what those who feel 100% sure that there is not god think about scientific explanations for origins.
It depends on whether the scientific explanations can be tested and verified doesn't it? Take the big bang for example. It can't be 100% proven at the moment but ALL the evidence we can verify points to the fact that it did happen that way. So, if we see a body with a knife sticking out of it, what on earth is the point in denying that the person has been stabbed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 AM

19,777 posts, read 19,880,941 times
I don't believe it all 'came from nothing'
I think something(matter of some sort) always was and the universe as we commonly think of it arose from whatever that was/is.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 AM

870 posts, read 834,528 times
Quote:
Science does not have every answer, but it has better ones than the supernatural, imo.
Sure, like the "I don't know!" answer.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
You mean the accurate,rational, honest one?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 AM

870 posts, read 834,528 times
Quote:
old_cold
the more I see of people the more I love my dogs

Yep! People can definitely get on the nerves! So can dogs but at least we can't blame them for meticulously planning things maliciously.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yep! People can definitely get on the nerves! So can dogs but at least we can't blame them for meticulously planning things maliciously.
You never saw my Border Collie when the German Shepherd was in the chair he wanted

Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 AM

76 posts, read 64,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
How did god create himself out of nothing?
The idea is that God always was there. He didn't have to create himself, not that that would make sense anyways. That would be like a stick figure drawing itself. Really would be something from nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't believe it all 'came from nothing'
I think something(matter of some sort) always was and the universe as we commonly think of it arose from whatever that was/is.
The classic paradox, "What came first the chicken (creator) or the egg (created)?" notice if the created came first there is no need for a creator.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,428,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then we are in the same boat aren't we.....neither of us know... but whilst I'm happy with leaving it at 'I don't know', you feel a need to fill the gap with... 'an unidentifiable entity that I have no verifiable evidence for did it', .
Hmm, I'm happy with leaving it with "I don't know" also. Just in a different place than where you place your "I don't know".

Quote:
....You've met six or 7 out of how many millions?? Compare that with the number of theists that believe their god insta-poofed the universe out of 'absolutely nothing'.
I have had in depth conversations with 6 or 7. Considering the fact that people usually do not engage in discussions regarding faith when the views are very different, I would say that's not bad. I generally keep discussions short about faith and religion when they seem like they are simply headed for an argument or somebody getting bent out of shape. And I keep them short with the religous fanatics as well.

How many "millions" have you had long, in depth conversations with?

As for the insta poofing, it seems common that both believers and atheists think that either god always existed, or matter and energy of some sort always existed. I grew up in a fairly religous household and I've basically carved my own path as an adult by believing what makes sense to me and not being afraid to question things. Basically I am finding that atheists and religous people's types of beliefs are not that different at their very core.

Quote:
It depends on whether the scientific explanations can be tested and verified doesn't it? Take the big bang for example. It can't be 100% proven at the moment but ALL the evidence we can verify points to the fact that it did happen that way. So, if we see a body with a knife sticking out of it, what on earth is the point in denying that the person has been stabbed?
And that is all fine and good. I have no problem with science and listening to the information it can provide. I guess it boils down to some people want to contemplate things that cannot be observed, tested, and at least somewhat verified. Some either do not want to or just don't care, and that is okay too.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefool View Post
The idea is that God always was there. He didn't have to create himself, not that that would make sense anyways. That would be like a stick figure drawing itself. Really would be something from nothing.

The classic paradox, "What came first the chicken (creator) or the egg (created)?" notice if the created came first there is no need for a creator.
Except that,that which has always been would not have been created....it would just 'be'

Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,333,893 times
Quote:
...and 'God done it' is more logical than 'I don't know'??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I have had in depth conversations with 6 or 7. Considering the fact that people usually do not engage in discussions regarding faith when the views are very different, I would say that's not bad. I generally keep discussions short about faith and religion when they seem like they are simply headed for an argument or somebody getting bent out of shape. And I keep them short with the religous fanatics as well.
So do tell us how they conclude that everything came from nothing.

Quote:
How many "millions" have you had long, in depth conversations with?
Well let's see. I have been discussing religion with 'the faithful' for some 40 years. I have been on dozens of internet forums doing the same for probably 12-15 years and whilst I wouldn't say that I have discussed with "millions", I would say that they must number tens of thousands.

Quote:
As for the insta poofing, it seems common that both believers and atheists think that either god always existed, or matter and energy of some sort always existed.
I'm happy to accept that the present universe came from material that was always there, that the Universe has always existed in some shape or form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism