Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 AM

37,055 posts, read 42,006,001 times

Advertisements

Some people need to believe to feel good, others don't. I fall into the latter catagory. I really don't give a crap how it all started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,203,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Just wanting to get some honest opinions and ideas as to how atheists think we came into existence. For reference, I believe that we were created, although I do not believe that any religous text is accurate in detailing it.

Here are some things I am curious about.

If the "big bang" was the so called beginning of the universe, where did the matter come from that allowed the big bang to happen?

Once the rapid expansion of our universe was underway, how were there any laws at all, such as the speed of light, time, space, etc?

With all of the things that happen such as molecular reactions, atomic and subatomic particles and their behaviors, how did all of those individual elements and parts of matter begin behaving the way they did and why do they continue to behave in a scientifically predictable fashion.

Just a little more info on me: I do believe we were created. I accept that it is possible we were not. I believe our universe is billions of years old. I believe that evolution definitely occurs at some level and have not ruled out any specific parts of evolution in my mind.

Basically, I enjoy pop cosmology and astronomy and am just trying to find out what non believers think when it comes to "how" all matter and reactions, etc came into existence from absolutely nothing. To me, creation is the only thing that makes sense, but I am open to explanations.
If you really believe as you say you do, creation would be the last thing that would make sense, for all it does is kick the can on step further down the road.

If the universe had to be created, (because things just can't exist on their own), and god did it, you are stuck now with the same question, except this time you need to explain the existance of god, instead of
explaining the Universe.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,800,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
If the universe had to be created, (because things just can't exist on their own), and god did it, you are stuck now with the same question, except this time you need to explain the existance of god, instead of
explaining the Universe.
They have great difficulty with that. They'll happily tell you that their god has always exited but when you ask...'Why can't the Universe have always existed too'....they look at you as if you are crazy!!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
You do know that light years are a unit of length, right?
Indeed I do, but I fail to see your point.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
I'm interested in "how it all started", but there is no way to know. I doubt that we will ever really know.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:01 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,344,365 times
I am somewhat more optimistic catman. I read the works of Hawking and listen to the talks of Krauss and although we are clearly a long way away from a full understanding... I am strongly heartened by the leaps we have taken.

Answers likely will not come in my life time, maybe not even in the life time of my own children... but all the signs are that they ARE coming and as a species we may have them one day.

It is nothing more than optimism and hope really, but I think it is a well founded hope.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
I realize that I should "never say never" (or even "ever").

Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,505,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I really don't give a crap how it all started.

Agree. The universe is an amazing thing. I believe we will never know for sure, without a doubt, 100% how it all started.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,807,735 times
If christianity makes sense to you, you will probably not understand logic.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,024,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I'm pretty sure that we know that the Universe is finite...
Do we?

If it were finite, then there would have to be a boundary. What would be on the other side of it?

What would we call the area outside of the boundary that contained the 'universe'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism