U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,300,144 times

Advertisements

As one of, if not the only, member of Atheist Ireland on the forum I thought I would post a thread about the AAI convention which was hosted this year in Ireland by Atheist Ireland.

With speakers like Richard Dawkins, PZ Mysers and Rebecca Watson the panel was filled with both familiar and new faces to many of us. The programme here will show you who spoke and generally what topics they covered.

The opening speech from Michael Nugent, Atheist Ireland's chairman, covered topics ranging from what "Atheist Arrogance" really means to why we even need to have a convention like this in the first place.

I have just returned home now after the weekend of the conference, and of being one of the 2 volunteer drivers picking up the speakers from the airport and delivering them to the hotel.... a task which resulted in odd combinations of people in my car having even more odd conversations. L.Aron telling PZ Myers about motor bikes and knives.... and Rebecca Watson talking about a Vanity Published book she had just finnished reading by an ex-con on the best use of knives and shivs in prison being some of the more memorable.

The conference seemed to go very well and was well covered on the Irish print, tv and radio media. There was little trouble aside from one of Irelands lesser known insane people.... (He thinks he is Jesus Christ come back.... his evidence being that his initials are also JC).... sending unpaid for a lot of flowers and pizza to the convention... stupidly giving his name while doing so so now the Irish Police have gone to obtain payment from him directly for the loss of earnings to the unfortunate companies in question.

There was also a small contingent of Muslim participants who set up a stall handing out some rather unusual pro Islam material, and they also made a point of asking some rather inane questions during some Q&A.

Although it might have lacked a bit of the zing from speeches like Sam Harris' one time AAI appearance where he made a speech to rile up discussion rather than, as he put it, "just throw meat to the lions of atheism" there was plenty of use and note in the discussions.

The videos from the conference will be up on the Atheist Ireland you tube channel in the coming week hopefully and I have heard a few people agree that the talk by Maryam Namazie is the one to watch if you were not at the conference. The panel on women atheists, given by women atheists also ranks at the top of the list for most over the weekend. Subscribe to that You Tube channel for updates on when the videos are added.

All in all the conference seems to have been quite successful and it does speak to the success and hard work of the Atheist Ireland committee that they did so well despite being such a young organisation, being only relatively recently set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,030,198 times
Sounds enjoyable! I wish I had been there.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:14 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,889,236 times
Loved this bit by Michael Nugent on arrogance:

YouTube - ‪Arrogant atheists and not collecting stamps: Michael Nugent at World Atheist Convention Dublin‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or