U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
 
8,468 posts, read 13,648,877 times
Reputation: 7538

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Once again, pure leftist spin, as expected, on your part.
Once again, pure denial of the facts on your part, as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Look it up in a non-leftist dictionary for the meaning of allow. Libs spin it to mean what they want and change definitions all the time.
Another standard right-wing tactic. When you don't like the facts, argue that they come from a "lefist" source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Wrong, your logic is non-existant. You seem to admit that what I cite has happened, but that is okay because you approve of it. No such thing as a "bad warrant", merely poor excution of said warrant and invasion of your personal space.
I don't approve of bad warrants. What I approve of is their necessity. I don't like the idea of the police being able to enter my home without cause. But apparently you do, which is funny given your supposed concern for privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Actually, they do council toward abortion. Miss the undercover "gotcha" interviews by those who destroyed Acorn?
So apparently, in your mind, informing someone of their options and how to go about executing them is the equivalent of counseling. Good grief. And BTW, those undercover interviews were done by a group with a history of taking things out of context in order to misrepresent their meaning. The people who "exposed" ACORN were also the people who tried to paint Shirley Sherrod as a racist, which was later debunked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,256,113 times
Reputation: 3602
^^

Someday you may wake up from your liberal imposed dream.

I hope for your sake that it is soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:26 PM
 
8,468 posts, read 13,648,877 times
Reputation: 7538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
^^

Someday you may wake up from your liberal imposed dream.

I hope for your sake that it is soon.
Someday, you may discover the world is round and orbits the Sun. I hope for your sake that it is soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,978,743 times
Reputation: 5074
When I refer to "God", I mean the god of the Bible. When I refer to 'god', I mean any god, or simply the concept of a god (unless I specify a particular god).

Of course we don't know all there is to know, since we are still finding out new things. Chances are we never will, but we can try.

As for all knowledge being "based on scientific study", I'd have to know how you define 'knowledge' and 'scientific study'. For example, is philosophy 'knowledge'? History? I would say that wherever it is applicable, the scientific method is the best method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM
 
8,468 posts, read 13,648,877 times
Reputation: 7538
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I would say that wherever it is applicable, the scientific method is the best method.
What I find amusing is that the people who look down upon science or say that's just like religion employ the scientific method without even realizing it. Imagine you ate something and then an hour later you felt sick. You might wonder if it was the food. So you decide to test this by eating it again (presumably when you're feeling better) to see if you have the same reaction. Well that's basically how the scientific method works too and yet we have people saying science is based on faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
 
9,412 posts, read 11,731,153 times
Reputation: 20221
Of course the scientific method is the best so far. We have come in leaps and bounds in the past 200 years thanks to this method of posing hypotheses and verifying evidence.

Without it we would not have our modern world.

What has religion offered in terms of advancement?

Nothing. It is stuck forever in ancient myths and untruths. It has not added one iota of assistance in moving mankind forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
 
8,468 posts, read 13,648,877 times
Reputation: 7538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
What has religion offered in terms of advancement?

Nothing. It is stuck forever in ancient myths and untruths. It has not added one iota of assistance in moving mankind forward.
I disagree. Religion has offered quite a lot. Most wars have been waged for religious reasons. War, or at least the prospect of war, has lead to great advances in technology. Religion has also enabled people to increase their wealth. Look at L. Ron Hubbard. So don't say religion hasn't been good for mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM
 
2,379 posts, read 2,691,241 times
Reputation: 1191
Catman,
Thanks for your responses.
What I'm curious about is if we (some atheists & God-believers) are simply defining God differently.
I don't believe in the traditional definition of God.
I think God is what you hinted at... this striving for what we think is best, no matter what philosophy or religion we subscribe to or don't.
God is love... love is not just that frilly, kissy, huggy emotion.
IMO Love is wanting & striving for what we think is best, through trial & error.
Love is motivation, which everyone has in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What I find amusing is that the people who look down upon science or say that's just like religion employ the scientific method without even realizing it... yet we have people saying science is based on faith.
I don't look down on science. I just don't make it God.
I realize that science has its' place & limits as does spirituality, which is why I think we benefit most by harmonizing both intellect & intuition.

Let's clarify 2 definitions...
Faith: Strong belief based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Hypothesis: A proposition made without any assumption of its truth.

Hmm... those 2 are similar in lacking proof.
"Science does not know it's debt to imagination." RW Emerson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM
 
10 posts, read 4,418 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

Let's clarify 2 definitions...
Faith: Strong belief based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Hypothesis: A proposition made without any assumption of its truth.

Hmm... those 2 are similar in lacking proof.
Well you sort of run into a problem there when you consider that "Faith" is the endpoint for religion and "hypothesis" is the starting point for science.

And by the way, that is not the definition of Hypothesis. Here's Webster:

1. assumption or concession made for the sake of argument b : an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action
2.a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences

There is no requirement that it be made on the basis of no evidence. Almost all hypotheses are made after a period of observation.

Faith requires no observation. None. It is received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
 
9,412 posts, read 11,731,153 times
Reputation: 20221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I disagree. Religion has offered quite a lot. Most wars have been waged for religious reasons. War, or at least the prospect of war, has lead to great advances in technology. Religion has also enabled people to increase their wealth. Look at L. Ron Hubbard. So don't say religion hasn't been good for mankind.
I was being slightly facetious with my post.

Our modern world is steeped in the history of our forebears, complete with their religion, philosophy, art and political systems. Everything is so intertwined that it's difficult to seperate at times. I see the world kind of evolving into a new reality, an enlightened age so to speak....
without the need for age old superstitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top