U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM

30,924 posts, read 31,815,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Good for you, if yo actually live by the principles you espouse. Unfortunately to many "liberals" do not. They live to attempt to direct the lives of others, which is not a supporting position of what they claim to be.

Actual Independent and proud of it.
Anyone who tries to tell others how to live their lives is the direct opposite to what it means to be liberal...I thought I explained what a liberal thinker is in the post you quoted...Did you not understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,269,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Anyone who tries to tell others how to live their lives is the direct opposite to what it means to be liberal...I thought I explained what a liberal thinker is in the post you quoted...Did you not understand?
And I explained in the post you quoted that many who claim to be liberal do not live by the standards you cite. Did you not understand?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 AM

[quote=DennyCrane;19599672]
Quote:
Wrong. What I admit is that you're clueless as to what a liberal is as evidenced by your previous posts. If you want to continue this debate, I'm fine with it. But I ask that you educate yourself first before you continue making a fool of yourself
And you continuie to prove my point with your naive posts. As a liberal, you are at this time trying to tell me what to think. Hypocritical much?

Quote:
Give me some examples of liberals attempting to direct the lives of others. I don't see liberals telling people who they can't marry, telling them what they can and can't do with their bodies, etc. But I do conservatives doing that an awful lot, which is funny coming from a group who says government is too big.
The only example that needs to be cited it 0bama and his administration. They attempt to direct the lives of others at virtually every turn. You know, like health care, the environment and how to spend your own money. This is by your precious liberal leader, in direct violation of what you claim. Unable to see the truth or just devoted to the concept of a dictator?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,666,737 times
Quote:
And you continuie to prove my point with your naive posts. As a liberal, you are at this time trying to tell me what to think. Hypocritical much?
Wrong. I'm asking you to do some research. What you choose to think is up to you. But if you expect anyone to take you seriously, it would help if you actually said something that was true.

Quote:
The only example that needs to be cited it 0bama and his administration. They attempt to direct the lives of others at virtually every turn. You know, like health care, the environment and how to spend your own money. This is by your precious liberal leader, in direct violation of what you claim. Unable to see the truth or just devoted to the concept of a dictator?
Nice try. But the health insurance mandate was an idea supported at one time or another by George H.W. Bush, John McCain, Tommy Thompson, and Mitt Romney. Funny how conservatives suddenly oppose it when it's being proposed by a democrat. And if you research a concept in economics known as adverse selection, you'd understand why they all supported it. Show me where else Obama is telling people how to spend their money. You can't, can you?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM

38 posts, read 17,990 times
Quote:
The only example that needs to be cited it 0bama and his administration. They attempt to direct the lives of others at virtually every turn.

Really? "Virtually every turn"?

Abortion is one turn: Do liberals insist that people get abortions, or refrain from having them?

Marriage is another: Do liberals attempt to legislate who can marry who?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 AM

11,798 posts, read 22,008,291 times
Ain't it the truth! I tried to rep you, but couldn't.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM

[quote=DoctorJ;19615565]
Quote:
Really? "Virtually every turn"?

Abortion is one turn: Do liberals insist that people get abortions, or refrain from having them?
Do they advise counciling or a brief waiting period to confirm the decision? Do they put limitations on who can perform them? No? That would be passivly encouragement.

Quote:
Marriage is another: Do liberals attempt to legislate who can marry who?
Yep. Passing laws stating that one can marry anyone they wish is legislation. Look up the word.

They are attempting to legislate every aspect of our supposedly free society. Find something that the government has not stuck their nose into and attempted to influence.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM

58 posts, read 39,119 times
Quote:
Do they advise counciling or a brief waiting period to confirm the decision? Do they put limitations on who can perform them? No? That would be passivly encouragement.
LMAO @ your backpedaling here. They don't "advise counciling" because what a woman does with her pregnancy is between her and her doctor.

Quote:
Yep. Passing laws stating that one can marry anyone they wish is legislation. Look up the word.
Okay, so allowing MORE freedom = directing people's lives? Are you high?

Quote:
They are attempting to legislate every aspect of our supposedly free society. Find something that the government has not stuck their nose into and attempted to influence.
By your definition, the 2nd Amendment "sticks its nose" into our lives by allowing citizens to bear arms. It also "sticks its nose" into our law enforcement by telling law enforcement it needs a warrant or probable cause to search a house.

Talking to you is like talking to my neighbor's cat.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM

[quote=Megatron11;19630339]
Quote:
LMAO @ your backpedaling here. They don't "advise counciling" because what a woman does with her pregnancy is between her and her doctor.
Really? So no one else has any say in it, right? Like planned parenthood and their government funding? And the tax payer who has to pay for abortions for those who can't afford them?

Quote:
Okay, so allowing MORE freedom = directing people's lives? Are you high?
Just your phrasing says a lot. "Allowing" would indicate that they have the final say in the issue. Thus negating your claim of a personal freedom. It is not freedom if you have to ask to be "allowed" to do something.

Quote:
By your definition, the 2nd Amendment "sticks its nose" into our lives by allowing citizens to bear arms. It also "sticks its nose" into our law enforcement by telling law enforcement it needs a warrant or probable cause to search a house.
Perhaps you should actually read the 2nd amendment. It ascertains the right to bear arms, not "allow" people to do so. Big difference which, of course, you fail to see with your agenda.

As for requiring a warrant, yes it sticks its nose in personal liberties. Countless times these warrants have been issued on mere speculation, no substantive facts. And nothing found. An invasion of privacy.

Quote:
Talking to you is like talking to my neighbor's cat
Your neighbor must have a very intelligent cat. You could learn from it.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:08 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,666,737 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. Conservatives want waiting periods for people considering abortion, but oppose them for people wanting to buy a gun? How hypocritical. And let's not kid ourselves. The reason conservatives want counseling is to try and change a woman's mind about getting an abortion. Well then how about we have counseling for the person who wants to buy a gun? As for limitations on who can perform them, since abortion is a medical procedure, that's up the medical community to decide who can and can't perform them. I find your "passive encouragement" argument laughable. If we apply your logic, then the government not having waiting periods for gun purchasers and not limiting who can buy them is equivalent to passive encouragement.

Quote:
Passing laws stating that one can marry anyone they wish is legislation. Look up the word.
Perhaps you should look up who it is that's actually trying to change the law. It's Republicans. Notice how they want to amend the constitution to define what a marriage is. What business does the government have in defining what's essentially a religious institution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism