U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,886,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of course you imagine so, because it's easier to make the case against phantom arguments than the facts on the ground.

Your intellectual laziness was already on display with the first sentence; no need to compound it with the second sentence. Indeed it must be easier to imagine Christians all behave the same way, have the same reaction to statements/actions/events, etc., than to acknowledge they possess a wide range of beliefs and values.

*YAWN*
No intellectual laziness involved, sparky. I know you and your ilk all too well. And I would bet everything I own that my statements are 100% accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,996,789 times
Quote:
The governor can take whatever side he wants as long as he doesn't commit government resources to the function or activity or whatever. And he can even do that if it serves a secular purpose.
Okay. Who is paying for and providing the "resources" for it? Perry? It won't be free. In any case, it identifies Texas with a religious belief which is not shared by all law-abiding, tax-paying Texans. Of course it's a violation of church and state.

Quote:
If you think it's such an obvious violation of separation of church and state, show the supporting case law; I'd love to see it. Better yet, file a lawsuit. I promise it will get laughed out of court.
In this state, it might get laughed out of court. That would not make it just.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
*YAWN*
No intellectual laziness involved, sparky. I know you and your ilk all too well. And I would bet everything I own that my statements are 100% accurate.
I suspect in equal measure that you neither know a thing about me nor do you deserve the privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Okay. Who is paying for and providing the "resources" for it? Perry? It won't be free.
It won't take more than 60 seconds worth of Google research to determine who is providing the resources for it. A quick browse through this very thread would give you a head start.

Quote:
In any case, it identifies Texas with a religious belief which is not shared by all law-abiding, tax-paying Texans. Of course it's a violation of church and state.
You keep saying so without any evidence from case law or statutory law or anything else to support your claim. And how does it identify Texas with any religious belief?

Quote:
In this state, it might get laughed out of court. That would not make it just.
It's not a state issue, it's a federal issue. And it would get laughed out of federal court too. And whether or not a call to prayer is "just" is a complete non sequitur. You can either be a part of it or not be a part of it.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,996,789 times
Drover: Why are you even here in this subforum? Your "Bull(dozer) in a china shop" subidentification is an indication that you are only here to spread discontent. Your support of Perry's risible 'prayer and fasting' event as Governor of the state is indication enough that he transgresses the separation doctrine, as he is required to represent all Texans in a nondivisive manner. Your posts are like as a lawyer for the Christian defence. I'm done with arguing with you, as it is pointless. You represent tyranny of the majority.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
Quote:
Drover: Why are you even here in this subforum? Your "Bull(dozer) in a china shop" subidentification is an indication that you are only here to spread discontent. Your support of Perry's risible 'prayer and fasting' event as Governor of the state is indication enough that he transgresses the separation doctrine, as he is required to represent all Texans in a nondivisive manner. Your posts are like as a lawyer for the Christian defence. I'm done with arguing with you, as it is pointless. You represent tyranny of the majority.
I'm here in this subforum because I wanted to participate in this particular discussion. I don't need any other reason.

I have never expressed any support for the 'prayer and fasting' event. I don't have a care in the world whether this event happens or not. I never even heard of it until I opened this thread. I'm only here to express my disagreement with such dubious assertions such as this violates the Establishment clause or that "[Perry] is required to represent all Texans in a nondivisive manner" (no he's not, it's impossible for any politician to do any such thing).

I don't represent a tyranny of anything. All I represent in this particular instance the other side of the argument. I'm sorry you find the fact that I don't agree with your view so vexing. Sometimes that's bound to happen when people disagree.

Be well.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,053,872 times
Quote:
Here's the problem: there is no constitutional violation here.
Hummmmmm, that's one nice set of blinders you have there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism