U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895

Advertisements

Saturday, August 6 · 7:30am - 6:00pm

Reliant Stadium
Intersection of Kirby Dr and McNee Rd
Houston, TX


PLEASE CHOOSE "ATTEND" ONLY IF YOU WILL BE THERE IN PERSON. We would like to get the most accurate count possible. Thanks!

This is a peaceful demonstration to protest "The Response: A Call to Prayer for a Nation in Crisis," an event initiated, endorsed, and promoted by Texas Governor Rick Perry.

The prayer event is scheduled to take place at Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX on August 6th 2011 from 10am-6pm with an early morning worship service starting at 8:30am. Please visit The Response: A call to prayer for a nation in crisis for more details of Perry's event.

Currently, we are planning to set up our demonstration at the corner of Kirby Dr and McNee Rd, just north of the stadium, but if the turnout is more than expected we may need to position several groups throughout the area. We'll be on the sidewalk all along the perimeter of Reliant Park. This is our free speech zone.

Anyone who values the separation of Church and State is welcome to join-- non-theists, non-Christian, secular Christians. Please be aware that we are NOT trying to convert or mock anybody's religion.

GROUPS - Please let us know if you'd like your group listed here, as being a group that's sending members to the protest, or just helping to organize or promote the protest. Eventually, we think that'll be a long list.

If you cannot attend this event but would like to have your voice heard, please visit the governor's comment page on his official website: Office of the Governor - Rick Perry - Contact

If you reside outside of Texas, visit this website to urge your state governor to reject Perry's invitation to the event: Secular Coalition for America Action Alert System

Exactly WHY are we picketing this prayer event? Good question! Here are FOUR reasons:

~~First, the event itself is being promoted by Gov. Perry in his official capacity as an elected official, starting at his official Gov's website.
He's also invited the governors from the other 49 states to come to this event, and take part. Obviously this will be a VERY government-related and promoted event. The promotion is already well underway.

~~Second, Gov. Perry has repeatedly and proudly violated church/state separation on several issues, all throughout his time as our governor. Recently he's done this in the form of two religious proclamations, one asking Texans to pray for rain, and the other asking Americans to pray. He's also worked tirelessly against public education, and it seems more than obvious that he's doing all that work to benefit religion. Whenever a public school has to close or cut down on the number of enrolled students for some reason, private schools in the area get new customers. Most private schools are religious schools and most of them are run by mainstream religious denominations. If anyone is the winner in all of this education slashing, it's Perry and Christianity in general.

~~Third, the prayer event is being put on by the American Family Association, which is considered to be a hate group, by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Lately the AFA has thrown out so much hate speech against gays and state/church separationists, that we've had enough, and we're not going to take it anymore.

~~Fourth, I don't believe that any of the other 49 states' governors are as devoted to flaunting their disregard for the diversity in their respective states' populations. This is while our state budget is in a mess, public education is underfunded, and our most popular politicians are riding on a wave of popularity, such that they can easily avoid any responsibility for explaining themselves and their actions to the public. So they don't. On August 6, we will.

Yes we will have some Christians on our side, picketing the prayer event as well, because lots of Christians support state/church separation, and also understand that Gov. Perry is not a good governor for Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
 
1,745 posts, read 1,885,260 times
Reputation: 943
Fantastic! You guys are true patriots. I would join you if I were closer.

Keep up the good fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Reputation: 8282
Texas and their knuckle dragging governors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Fantastic! You guys are true patriots. I would join you if I were closer.

Keep up the good fight.
You can still help the fight by emailing your own governor telling him not to attend this event. There is a link to that in one of the urls I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,048,650 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Saturday, August 6 · 7:30am - 6:00pm

Reliant Stadium
Intersection of Kirby Dr and McNee Rd
Houston, TX


PLEASE CHOOSE "ATTEND" ONLY IF YOU WILL BE THERE IN PERSON. We would like to get the most accurate count possible. Thanks!

This is a peaceful demonstration to protest "The Response: A Call to Prayer for a Nation in Crisis," an event initiated, endorsed, and promoted by Texas Governor Rick Perry.

The prayer event is scheduled to take place at Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX on August 6th 2011 from 10am-6pm with an early morning worship service starting at 8:30am. Please visit The Response: A call to prayer for a nation in crisis for more details of Perry's event.

Currently, we are planning to set up our demonstration at the corner of Kirby Dr and McNee Rd, just north of the stadium, but if the turnout is more than expected we may need to position several groups throughout the area. We'll be on the sidewalk all along the perimeter of Reliant Park. This is our free speech zone.

Anyone who values the separation of Church and State is welcome to join-- non-theists, non-Christian, secular Christians. Please be aware that we are NOT trying to convert or mock anybody's religion.

GROUPS - Please let us know if you'd like your group listed here, as being a group that's sending members to the protest, or just helping to organize or promote the protest. Eventually, we think that'll be a long list.

If you cannot attend this event but would like to have your voice heard, please visit the governor's comment page on his official website: Office of the Governor - Rick Perry - Contact

If you reside outside of Texas, visit this website to urge your state governor to reject Perry's invitation to the event: Secular Coalition for America Action Alert System

Exactly WHY are we picketing this prayer event? Good question! Here are FOUR reasons:

~~First, the event itself is being promoted by Gov. Perry in his official capacity as an elected official, starting at his official Gov's website.
He's also invited the governors from the other 49 states to come to this event, and take part. Obviously this will be a VERY government-related and promoted event. The promotion is already well underway.

~~Second, Gov. Perry has repeatedly and proudly violated church/state separation on several issues, all throughout his time as our governor. Recently he's done this in the form of two religious proclamations, one asking Texans to pray for rain, and the other asking Americans to pray. He's also worked tirelessly against public education, and it seems more than obvious that he's doing all that work to benefit religion. Whenever a public school has to close or cut down on the number of enrolled students for some reason, private schools in the area get new customers. Most private schools are religious schools and most of them are run by mainstream religious denominations. If anyone is the winner in all of this education slashing, it's Perry and Christianity in general.

~~Third, the prayer event is being put on by the American Family Association, which is considered to be a hate group, by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Lately the AFA has thrown out so much hate speech against gays and state/church separationists, that we've had enough, and we're not going to take it anymore.

~~Fourth, I don't believe that any of the other 49 states' governors are as devoted to flaunting their disregard for the diversity in their respective states' populations. This is while our state budget is in a mess, public education is underfunded, and our most popular politicians are riding on a wave of popularity, such that they can easily avoid any responsibility for explaining themselves and their actions to the public. So they don't. On August 6, we will.

Yes we will have some Christians on our side, picketing the prayer event as well, because lots of Christians support state/church separation, and also understand that Gov. Perry is not a good governor for Texas.


Well....so much for that separation of church and state idea. Governors like Perry make me nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well....so much for that separation of church and state idea.
In what way is the state involved in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In what way is the state involved in this?
It is sponsored by Governor Perry. He is inviting the governors of all the states. How is the state NOT involved?

His press release is coming out of his GOVERNOR's office.

Note, it is described as It is part of what is being described as a non-denominational, apolitical, Christian prayer meeting hosted by the American Family Association at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Perry will participate in the all-day event that encourages people to bring a Bible and a notebook. Perry has invited every governor in the country to attend, and he is urging them to issue similar proclamations.

He is thus excluding Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

Btw, this is opposed by Houston's Clergy Council
Houston Clergy Council Opposes Rick Perry's 'Response' Prayer Rally

Quote:
We also express concern that the day of prayer and fasting at Reliant Stadium is not an inclusive event. As clergy leaders in the nation’s fourth largest city, we take pride in Houston’s vibrant and diverse religious landscape. Our religious communities include Bahais, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Unitarian Universalists, and many other faith traditions. Our city is also home to committed agnostics and atheists, with whom we share common cause as fellow Houstonians. Houston has long been known as a “live and let live” city, where all are respected and welcomed. It troubles us that the governor’s prayer event is not open to everyone. In the publicized materials, the governor has made it clear that only Christians of a particular kind are welcome to pray in a certain way. We feel that such an exclusive event does not reflect the rich tapestry of our city.
Aside from this funding is coming from the American Family Association which is a bigoted group.

Quote:
The American Family Association and its leadership have a long track record of anti-gay speech and have actively worked to discriminate against the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community. The American Family Association and its leadership have also been stridently anti-Muslim, going so far as to question the rights of Muslim Americans to freely organize and practice their faith. We believe it is inappropriate for our governor to organize a religious event funded by a group known for its discriminatory stances.
Also, The benchmark to gauge whether a particular government activity violates the Establishment Clause is the test announced by the United States Supreme Court in Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971), commonly known as the “ Lemon test.” Under the Lemon test, to be constitutional (1) the challenged governmental action must have a secular purpose; (2) “its principal or primary effect must be one that neither advances nor inhibits religion”; and (3) it “must not foster an excessive government entanglement with religion.” Lemon, 403 U.S. at 612-13. The challenged government activity must satisfy all three prongs of the Lemon test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is sponsored by Governor Perry. He is inviting the governors of all the states. How is the state NOT involved?
A governor is not "the state." The state is not involved because, well, the state is not involved. There are no state resources involved in this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
His press release is coming out of his GOVERNOR's office.

Note, it is described as It is part of what is being described as a non-denominational, apolitical, Christian prayer meeting hosted by the American Family Association at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Perry will participate in the all-day event that encourages people to bring a Bible and a notebook. Perry has invited every governor in the country to attend, and he is urging them to issue similar proclamations.

He is thus excluding Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.
So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Btw, this is opposed by Houston's Clergy Council
Houston Clergy Council Opposes Rick Perry's 'Response' Prayer Rally



Aside from this funding is coming from the American Family Association which is a bigoted group.
And this has what to do with what?



Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Also, The benchmark to gauge whether a particular government activity violates the Establishment Clause is the test announced by the United States Supreme Court in Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971), commonly known as the “ Lemon test.” Under the Lemon test, to be constitutional (1) the challenged governmental action must have a secular purpose; (2) “its principal or primary effect must be one that neither advances nor inhibits religion”; and (3) it “must not foster an excessive government entanglement with religion.” Lemon, 403 U.S. at 612-13. The challenged government activity must satisfy all three prongs of the Lemon test.
And since this is not a government action, this test isn't even applicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A governor is not "the state." The state is not involved because, well, the state is not involved. There are no state resources involved in this event.

He's using the government website to promote it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,986,990 times
Reputation: 5074
Even if the "Prayer and Fasting Event" were inclusive of other religions, it would still violate separation of church and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top