U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM

4,360 posts, read 2,979,466 times

Advertisements

This is for agnostics, who I'm sure don't all feel this way, but more so than many groups. Does anyone out there believe that the idea of looking for evidence for an afterlife is the equivalent of attempting to determine what the moon is like from earth merely using one's eyes without looking at it through a telescope? (There are no gardens nor seas like once imagined).

For such people who believe every attempt to seek evidence for what happens after death is equally laughable, has anyone just made up their own fantasy afterlife to make themselves feel better?

Does anyone else get a kind of satisfaction and pride about having the most blasphemous mindset possible? At least many atheists take their search for what happens after death seriously. Does anyone else think "Why should I take it seriously?"

For such people, do any of you have a kind of fantasy afterlife, one that you believe in because it makes you feel better, but know you have no evidence for. What is it?

Any beer volcanoes and stripper factories?

Does anyone try to put what they believe to be most morally rightious into their hypothetical afterlife?

I find it difficult to work out such things. I like the idea of an afterlife which is very much like this one, but with more definite rewards for the good in life, and punishments for the wicked, but I like the idea of both the good and evil having perpetual chances to become better, or worse. It would also be eternall for everyone, and eternally changing. I recognize some problems with this concept, that residents would essentially be doing good for rewards and not merely to be good. Another way for good people to be good merely because it is good would be for there to be injustice in life, as there is now. This would negate the all-important punishments for the wicked and rewards for the good, however. A potential solution to this, would be for people to perpetually die, become rewarded or punished in a kind of higher realm, then forget and come back to the realm similar to our current one to live as a mortal again, until next time. Maybe we're all in the afterlife right now?

Anyone else have an idea that they believe in? It doesn't have to make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,499,176 times
I am agnostic and atheist (the two are not mutually exclusive).

My fantasy afterlife would be to have no afterlife. I have come to want what I expect will happen.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 AM

4,360 posts, read 2,979,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I am agnostic and atheist (the two are not mutually exclusive).

My fantasy afterlife would be to have no afterlife. I have come to want what I expect will happen.
That's neat.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-11-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Afterlife is a fantasy.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,345,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
For such people, do any of you have a kind of fantasy afterlife, one that you believe in because it makes you feel better, but know you have no evidence for. What is it?
It's a place where both atheists/agnostics and theists go. Every day, the atheists get to ride motorcycles to the seaside where they sit around in the sun drinking beer and eating fine food, whilst watching the theists trying to empty the sea by tipping thimblefuls of sea water into buckets which they then carry for a mile to a place where the agnostics throw the water back into the sea.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,984,404 times
I agree with Hueffenhardt in that I see no likelihood of an afterlife. However, in an imaginary afterlife, I see theists being cross-examined in a boardroom by a god resembling Donald Trump. When he says "You're fired", he means it literally.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:16 PM

222 posts, read 416,653 times
The afterlife must be getting a bit crowded after all these years. Must be a tricky too with all the early entrants to paradise driving custom donkeys and carts with the newer souls able to get Ferraris and Aston Martins.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Well if 'wishing' were to be done I'd really like to see the facebook of the afterlife with pictures taken when all those duped into believing come to the realization, there is none, they are just dead, after spending a life time on a fools errand of trying to get their ticket to heaven validated.

It would probably look something like:

Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,206,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well if 'wishing' were to be done I'd really like to see the facebook of the afterlife with pictures taken when all those duped into believing come to the realization, there is none, they are just dead, after spending a life time on a fools errand of trying to get their ticket to heaven validated.

It would probably look something like:

This is what I don't like about the atheists versus religious people arguments. Both sides are too closed minded to give any leeway, and as such, both are blinded to the possibilities. It's either there is a God and heaven or when you're dead you're dead. It's one extreme or the other. People who blindly follow accepted science through books are as bad as the religious who get their every rule about living through books.

A few points.

Everyone is subject to their own personal reality from their own point of view. You can't tell someone that their experience is invalid and/or try to write it off as them being a mental patient. In this day & age most people could be considered to have some type of mental deficiency. Just because you don't see a shrink doesn't make you some kind of authority to tell others they're delusional.

You cannot disprove a negative. This is why there are nearly 100,000 religions in the world. Everyone is open to interpret anything in any way they choose. Until your body expires everything is utter speculation. My problem with this is humans, in general, try to objectify everything. There is so much that is beyond our comprehension and when we attempt to label everything in the universe we just cause more problems than we fix.

Our ability to perceive is directly proportional to our willingness to believe. We can heavily influence our own perceptions and change our entire life dynamic by merely changing our thought patterns. If you believe in something it becomes real to you and likewise if you refuse to acknowledge something.

Modern physics and theory, if you read any of it, is dangerously close to discovering alternate realities such as parallel universes, what infinite truly means, and other front running science such as what the hadron colliders are up to with the anti matter particles. I just finished reading a book that shows heavy supporting theory that the universe is ever expanding and because of that, there are an infinite number of carbon copies of you in other planet systems doing the exact same thing you're doing right now while reading this. It's mind blowing stuff and I won't be surprised when modern physics finally comes around to accepting things like remote viewing and astral projection.

You choose to think everything is rubbish and when you die that's it based sheerly on your own experiences in life and education (I'm assuming you read and talk to others). That's splendid but unfortunately you can't prove a lick of it to anyone but yourself, similar to others who claim heaven or hell or some other kind of nonsense. Everyone has books to back up what they claim. Well plenty of people from all walks of life write books and dispute their claims. It still amounts to zero provable content because our bodies haven't died yet. Just because someone has a piece of paper that says they know what they're talking about (aka college) does not equate to them being some kind of supreme dictator when it comes to reality or how we process it.

In closing, I strongly suggest you begin looking for answers (if you're at all interested) internally. Anyone who looks for answers to life, in any form, outside of themselves, is when they get into propaganda, distortion, and confusion. This goes for all walks of life including religion, sciences, governments, etc... No one has all the answers to anything and there will always be more to discover and learn. Or perhaps you're content to just live how you are. I view your outlook of "When you're dead that's it" to be as dull and fictional as religious people who think there is some magical place full of streets of gold and some type of holy carpenter diety yelling at people in the 4th row pew to please sing in D minor while others in the background burn in a lake of fire.

I understand people's frustrations in trying to have others view things as they do and I know that it stems from an attempt to validate one's own beliefs as "the only". Once you let go of that feeling and start to sort things out for yourself, life just seems easier. It's a process much like anything else though and takes time.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,515,287 times
That is a good question only because it made me think about why death is necessary. It is to be free of the circles of this Earth. This is why I try to do what is right before I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism