U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,972,404 times

Advertisements

still working on it, back later

Last edited by Clintone; 06-11-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,969,943 times
That was a big letdown. I can hardly wait to see it.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,690,095 times
Yeah... I'm curious...
Don't leave us hangin' too long!

Until then, I've got a great joke for all you mind-readers out there...
.................................................. .....................................

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,972,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I thought about this when I posted this forum, then thought about it some more and found a large flaw, but I'll post my original thoughts anyway, to find out if anyone has any thoughts.

My original thoughts were the following: emotions are widely described as mere neurological reactions, stimulated by chemicals to encourage survival, prosperity, and reproduction. Feeling is viewed as an illusion from this perspective. Self awareness is also viewed as an illusion from this perspective. It ocurred to me that any sufficiently complex system could potentially result in some sort of consciousness.

I am going to assume for this that everything relates to everything else, affecting it in some way.

If such networks exist, and such relationships are significantly complicated, could we, upon dying, enter into a kind of new form of consciousness, a part of the earth, a part of the universe as a whole? It would be different, but still a potential consciousness. What does that sound like?

The flaws I found, which is why I should have taken another five minutes to think about the idea before posting it, are two.

One weakness is that it is believed that the likelyhood of evidence for an animal's self awareness lowers as its brain becomes simpler. I would assume this would mean any consciousness would become progressively more alien the simpler relationships became, our consciousness as a deceased body becomming even simpler than that of fire or a virus. The energy released upon death wouldn't react with anything in any way similar to life.

Another weakness I thought of is that, all of our emotions and even our sense of self awareness have evolutionary uses, so far as I can imagine. A dead body cannot reproduce, and it looks like it's not thinking about much. I would think it safe to say it isn't very aware, and neither is the energy released upon death likely to be, for the same reasons.

Still, if everything interacts, there are an infinite number of relationships possible. Maybe there are consciousnesses out there which don't relate to what we'd call life, ghosts in space, sentient earth...even the universe itself. Now who thinks I'm full of it? because I do, but I'm not quite sure.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,186,968 times
Sentient energy aliens... The idea has been passed around before.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Quote:
Methinks Sophistry is in the workings.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Still, if everything interacts, there are an infinite number of relationships possible. Maybe there are consciousnesses out there which don't relate to what we'd call life, ghosts in space, sentient earth...even the universe itself. Now who thinks I'm full of it? because I do, but I'm not quite sure.
Dr. Bruce Lipton explained how a cell in a petri dish had it's nucleus (brain of the cell) taken out... & yet still responded to food (by moving closer) or toxin (by moving away). This suggests that maybe there is some type of consciousness besides the traditional mind/brain definition.

If you magnify anything, including us, enough times, you'd see mostly space. 95% of the universe (including us) is made up of dark matter/energy... invisible, yet known by the influence on other things like light.

Also, as you mentioned, if everything interacts, there are infinite # of possible relationship possibilities... which partly explains how our perspectives are limited, especially regarding higher dimensions...

YouTube - ‪The Dimensions Explained‬‏

So... in conclusion, I don't think you're "full of it."

Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,969,943 times
A "potential consciousness" doesn't sound like anything.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
A "potential consciousness" doesn't sound like anything.
Don't get caught up on my hesitant words, like "maybe" or "suggests."
I was trying to be open minded, I guess it backfired.

The definition of consciousness is "The state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings."
Since this cell was "aware of it's surroundings" by moving toward food & away from toxin, it had consciousness.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM

10,890 posts, read 13,548,342 times
Quote:

If such networks exist, and such relationships are significantly complicated, could we, upon dying, enter into a kind of new form of consciousness, a part of the earth, a part of the universe as a whole? It would be different, but still a potential consciousness. What does that sound like?

Like the Ether?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism