U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:01 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,681,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Now that this has been brought out, I find myself kind of agreeing that this can be seen as a form of terrorism.

(Side note on Iraq and WMDs: While doing some research on uranium mining, I came across some information (publicly available) from the IAEA (IIRC) pertaining to a facility in Iraq which was about to go on-line- including a description of the facility and technology, and an estimate of the number of nuclear warheads it would be capable of producing if it were to go into operation.

This information was sufficient to lead me to believe that the real reason for the attack on Iraq (even after Iraq delivered to Syria a substantial amount of weapons, some of which were subsequently turned over to the US for disposal) was to destroy this facility and Iraq's nuclear weaponry program, while maintaining the facade that the intent was because of more 'ordinary' types of WMDs in order to prevent the public from panic were they to learn that Iraq was on the verge of becoming a nuclear-armed power.

This is, of course, little more than speculation on my part and based on information which may or may not have been accurate. I can't prove that this is what actually happened but I believe the scenario credible enough not to be completely dismissed.)
There were a lot of false and misleading reports during that period. What the general public fails to understand is that you need highly-enriched uranium to developer nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, most people just hear the word uranium and think nuclear weapons, forgetting that some countries are just trying to develop reactors. That's not to say no one is also trying to develop weapons. But again, it goes back trying to scare people. Say a couple key buzzwords and you get people to sit up. But leave out the full story, then you're just guilty of fear-mongering. It reminds me of how in 2008, people kept emphasizing Obama's middle name, no doubt to make you think he was a Muslim. Never mind that he was, in fact, a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,801,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There were a lot of false and misleading reports during that period. What the general public fails to understand is that you need highly-enriched uranium to developer nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, most people just hear the word uranium and think nuclear weapons, forgetting that some countries are just trying to develop reactors. That's not to say no one is also trying to develop weapons. But again, it goes back trying to scare people. Say a couple key buzzwords and you get people to sit up. But leave out the full story, then you're just guilty of fear-mongering. It reminds me of how in 2008, people kept emphasizing Obama's middle name, no doubt to make you think he was a Muslim. Never mind that he was, in fact, a Christian.
True. There are a whole lot of people who will believe a whole lot of crazy...manure...without a shred of evidence to back it up...sounds like...nevermind...

We'll probably never know the real truth on Iraq until 50 years from now they de-classify the papers...but I'll probably be dead by then and won't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism