U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM

5,676 posts, read 6,772,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't know for sure but I'll bet the quality of education (or lack of ) goes right along with the religious beliefs.
You may be onto something there. Not that I have conducted any sort of scientific study, but it seems that the grasp of correct spelling and grammar is inversely proportional to the level of 'fundie' beliefs being promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
Providence is heavily Italian and Roman Catholic.

Georgia has Atlanta, which is becoming a far more progressive city with each passing day. Same with SLC, believe it or not. I'm a bit more surprised that West Virginia isn't on the list.
Georgia also has Athens. Yes, Georgia has liberal pockets, but then so do Texas and North Carolina. South Carolina, otoh, doesn't have any substantial liberal pockets of any size, and is often considered the most socially conservative US state.

I'm aware that Providence is a very Catholic city, but if that indicated unfriendliness to atheists than Rhode Island's neighbor Massachusetts would also be one of the unfriendliest states for atheists, as Boston is also a very Catholic city.

Last edited by majoun; 06-17-2011 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 AM

3,935 posts, read 5,586,389 times
Oklahoma City just had a huge Satanists Convention here.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I can only imagine the reaction of the locals....

Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,618,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yes, but the satanists are at least "believers" ......so not as "godless" as those pesky atheists.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,618,576 times
To quote the author of the article:

"I freely admit that this list, and the order I'm presenting it, is subjective. It's not based on a careful statistical analysis of rigorously gathered data based on journalistically objective criteria about anti-atheist bigotry."

Her No. 1 pick is Louisiana but I venture to guess New Orleans is a heck of a lot more friendly to atheists than ANYPLACE in the entire state of Alabama (her No. 7 pick).

Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,972,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You may be onto something there. Not that I have conducted any sort of scientific study, but it seems that the grasp of correct spelling and grammar is inversely proportional to the level of 'fundie' beliefs being promoted.
I've noticed that as well.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
10 Scariest States to Be An Atheist | Belief | AlterNet

Some surprises here. Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and North Carolina aren't surprising at all. Neither is Idaho with all of its Mormons. Even Florida and Pennsylvania aren't totally surprising - FL is half Southern and PA is the most socially conservative Northeastern state. But Rhode Island, a liberal Northeastern state? Who would have thought?

I would have expected Oklahoma, South Carolina, or Georgia to be on this list, but they're not.
I live in Florida but am from the NE. Believe me, it is ALL Southern. I have no idea who started this claim that Florida is not "Southern" or only paritally Southern; it simply isn't true. In fact, politically, it is one of the most conservative states in the U.S. The only part that one might not consider Southern is Dade County/Miami.

And, yes, it sucks to be atheist here, or agnostic for that matter. It also sucks to be liberal, left-handed or educated.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 PM

494 posts, read 1,452,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
To quote the author of the article:

"I freely admit that this list, and the order I'm presenting it, is subjective. It's not based on a careful statistical analysis of rigorously gathered data based on journalistically objective criteria about anti-atheist bigotry."

Her No. 1 pick is Louisiana but I venture to guess New Orleans is a heck of a lot more friendly to atheists than ANYPLACE in the entire state of Alabama (her No. 7 pick).

NO is a very liberal city in general, so yes. Yet, when you account for the rural areas of the state and some of the smaller towns it's no different from the bible south. While I'm not surprised that our state is #1 on another bad list (we seem to be doing that a lot these days), I honestly never had as radical of an experience as described in that article. And I think, you are more likely than not to see crazy stuff like that in the more rural parts of the state.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Some surprises here.
Really? You're surprised by the totally subjective opinion of a lesbian, athiest activist-blogger from San Francisco?

from the link:

Quote:
I freely admit that this list, and the order I'm presenting it, is subjective. It's not based on a careful statistical analysis of rigorously gathered data based on journalistically objective criteria about anti-atheist bigotry. It's based on stories that happened to get my atheist dander up. It's based on stories that made me sad -- and enraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism