U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:03 AM

296 posts, read 551,494 times

Advertisements

i wonder if the mega churches are included in that..creflo dollar anyone? what religion would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,978,743 times
Which "that" are you referring to?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 AM

296 posts, read 551,494 times
the religion of taking large amounts of money to support Gods word by buying an airplane or million dollar homes...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM

180 posts, read 188,957 times
I think we should be number 1! boooooo

Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,410,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I live in Florida but am from the NE. Believe me, it is ALL Southern. I have no idea who started this claim that Florida is not "Southern" or only paritally Southern; it simply isn't true. In fact, politically, it is one of the most conservative states in the U.S. The only part that one might not consider Southern is Dade County/Miami.

And, yes, it sucks to be atheist here, or agnostic for that matter. It also sucks to be liberal, left-handed or educated.
In other words, the most heavily populated part of Florida. And Washington is one of the most conservative states because the only part of it that is really liberal is west of the Cascades... ie, where most of the people live.

Florida is not "one of the most conservative states". President Obama carried Florida. He didn't carry 22 states, and he carried 2 states by a smaller margin than Florida. That makes 24 states where he did worse than Florida, and 25 states where he did better. That's not a "very conservative" state.

President Obama carried Miami-Dade. And Orange. And Hillsborough. You know, the three counties where the most people live? What defines a state as "conservative" or "liberal" is the people. While the more numerous, less-populated counties may be conservative, the larger counties (again, where, you know, the most people and most voters, live) are hardly "conservative".

It's a swing state.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,190,575 times
Surprised Indiana didn't make the list. When we moved into our house the neighbors asked where we attend church. We politely said we didnt. By their reaction you would think we were satanists. My child said a few kids at his school told him they feel sorry for him because he will be going to hell.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Surprised Indiana didn't make the list. When we moved into our house the neighbors asked where we attend church. We politely said we didnt. By their reaction you would think we were satanists. My child said a few kids at his school told him they feel sorry for him because he will be going to hell.
No state has a monopoly of stupid hateful people. Sadly religion does.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 16,603 times
Oklahoma should be on that list, I've lost track of the how many times I had to file a complaint with the Superintendent in our school system for teaching religious dogma and allowing it to persist in a Public school. FFRF has been all over them for numerous violations and they always state they will address their faculty and staff about religious proselytizing. Sure enough the next month the have some assembly or classroom that goes out of their way to preach. My children are in a Public school, they seem to think its a religious one due to the amount of Christian crap, and yes I will call it that as long as you push it.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,190,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndchromo View Post
Oklahoma should be on that list, I've lost track of the how many times I had to file a complaint with the Superintendent in our school system for teaching religious dogma and allowing it to persist in a Public school. FFRF has been all over them for numerous violations and they always state they will address their faculty and staff about religious proselytizing. Sure enough the next month the have some assembly or classroom that goes out of their way to preach. My children are in a Public school, they seem to think its a religious one due to the amount of Christian crap, and yes I will call it that as long as you push it.
When my son was attending a public school in Michigan, the school principal sent home a personal letter to all us parents encouraging us not to let our children see the movie, The Golden Compass. He stated it pushed atheist ideas. I was pretty shocked. I wanted to go in raise some hell but we were all set to move and my husband encouraged me to let it go. Honestly, I am pretty ignorant to religion in general and would not be able to intelligently debate how this movie (still haven't seen it) pushed an atheist agenda. I just didn't like the fact this man went out of his way to send us his personal thoughts on this idea when it didn't apply to my son's education. Nor did I want my son to view atheists as wrong. Anyway, the school district was terrible and we were ready to get out before this letter was sent home. So we end up moving to a much better city but has more religious views than the last.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
When my son was attending a public school in Michigan, the school principal sent home a personal letter to all us parents encouraging us not to let our children see the movie, The Golden Compass. He stated it pushed atheist ideas. I was pretty shocked. I wanted to go in raise some hell but we were all set to move and my husband encouraged me to let it go. Honestly, I am pretty ignorant to religion in general and would not be able to intelligently debate how this movie (still haven't seen it) pushed an atheist agenda. I just didn't like the fact this man went out of his way to send us his personal thoughts on this idea when it didn't apply to my son's education. Nor did I want my son to view atheists as wrong. Anyway, the school district was terrible and we were ready to get out before this letter was sent home. So we end up moving to a much better city but has more religious views than the last.
You shouldn't need to take the debate there. The simple fact that he would even ADDRESS a movie's supposed atheism is out of line for a school principal. What a crock.

May as well be a maddrassa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism