U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Reputation: 8282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

Am I the only Atheist that 100% believes there is no God, afterlife, etc etc? Rather than the:
Nope, you are not alone. I hesitate to call it a belief, for we know that people can believe in the most absurd things, like god, heaven, hell, etc..

But as a conclusion (using reason and common sense, a skill set many seem to have also avoided)based on the complete absence of even a hint of evidence of a god or any of the god like trappings that some believe in.

There is also a great deal of evidence to invalidate the fables believers see as a proof. There are lots of people that believe everything (the whole flipping universe, 14.7 billion light years in size) was conjured up by some god only 7 - 13 thousand years ago That takes some serious stooooopid and denial of evidence to even consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
And more.
Here's another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM
 
1,429 posts, read 2,109,033 times
Reputation: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Here's another
Woohoo! What are we up to now? 6?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,087 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
If you claim that the pink Unicorn created us, I will entertain the possibility of it's existence. Tell me more about it.
What more do you need to know? You can't logically disprove it, therefore it's just as likely to exist as any other creator god anyone else makes up. How are we supposed to decide between all of the various options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,087 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Somewhat. The question would be more like: "What is a suitable percentage to give the truth of a belief based upon the evolution of belief". I invite you to answer that. 50-50 is not such an unbelievable number.
Neither is 0% or 100%. Some of us have a higher standard of evidence than "not totally unbelievable". That kind of stuff might fly in Christian apologetics but it's totally unconvincing to anyone who doesn't already want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,278,109 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Anyone who is intellectually honest will agree that saying there is NO god takes as much faith as saying there is one.

Because you have no proof either way. So both are faith-based belief systems.
It is worth being aware of what you imply when you say such a thing however.

Because anyone who is intellectually honest will also realize that the same thing is true of fairies, thor, the spaghetti monster, big foot, elvis still being alive, astrology, homeopathy, unicorns, leprauchauns, alien abduction….

…. I could go on for a week.

So by pointing out what you point out above ALL you are doing is putting god(s) on the same shelf as all those other things and more. Which is just fine with me, that’s the same shelf I put them on too.

The fact that should concern us is not with pedantically going on about how "possible" it is, but to recognise that there is literally no reasons, evidence, arguments or data on offer to suggest a god entity DOES exist. Therefore we should dismiss the idea until such time as there is AND we should resist the use and application of that idea in our halls of power, education and science. Not to mention deal as Charlatons with those who profit from the idea by deluding others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,187,044 times
Reputation: 4161
I doubt that a god exists, but I honestly do not know. Frankly, I don't care, it's not something I think a lot about. I don't think the existence of a deity is all that important actually. People can walk the path of the alleviation of suffering with or without a deity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
 
3,413 posts, read 6,450,832 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, ....if this god thingy came to me in a dream and gave me the next Saturday's lottery numbers and improved my memory so I wouldn't forget them, it would certainly get my attention.
hahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 11:21 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
This is not a game. No one can logically prove it is impossible for a god to exist; therefore it is possible that a god might exist. I am not sure how to say it more simply than that. To logically claim it is impossible, you must be able to prove it is impossible.

Now, it may be possible to show that certain types of gods are logically inconsistent, but that cannot be done for all possible gods.

It is entirely possible that a god exists outside the universe. If you claim it is not possible, show how it is not possible.
Bad Logic there "Hueffer", he who asserts the positive must prove, in the absence of any proof for the positive position (existence) the negative position becomes the "a priori" proof because the positive position is untenable. Sorry to confuse some of y'all but, formal logic is fairly cut and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,497,518 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Bad Logic there "Hueffer", he who asserts the positive must prove, in the absence of any proof for the positive position (existence) the negative position becomes the "a priori" proof because the positive position is untenable. Sorry to confuse some of y'all but, formal logic is fairly cut and dry.
Sorry, Dusty, but my logic in this thing is impeccable. You are confusing two different things.

I have been talking about logical possibility, not philosophic burden of proof when asserting something exists. You are correct that someone claiming that something positively exists does have the burden of proof to show that it does exist. But, I am not talking asserting something exists, I am talking about whether something could possibly exist. The logically possible proposition is possible unless it is logically contradictory, so the burden is on the person who claims something is impossible to prove that it is inherently contradictory.

Do you get the difference? Possible versus impossible in contrast to asserting not merely that something is possible, but that it does in fact exist.

The question of whether dark matter could possibly exist is separate from whether we have enough data to prove that it does exist. If I am asserting that it does exist, then I have to prove it. But, if someone is asserting that it is impossible for dark matter to exist, then they have to show why it is impossible, i.e., why it is logically contradictory.

Hopefully, I have said enough to clear that up. If not, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top