U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times

Advertisements

Well, ....if this god thingy came to me in a dream and gave me the next Saturday's lottery numbers and improved my memory so I wouldn't forget them, it would certainly get my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
There may be something that could change my mind, but for the life of me I can't imagine what. If I saw what I thought was God, my first thought would be that I was hallucinating. If I heard a voice telling me it was God, my first thought would be that I was mentally ill. Maybe this: I had to have a molar pulled a couple of years ago. It was cracked in half and was not salvageable. If tomorrow I woke up and there was a perfectly natural tooth where there presently is no tooth, I would definitely be baffled. I'd try to come up with some logical reason for it, but I don't see how there could be one. It seems like it would have to be a supernatural event, but of course that still wouldn't narrow it down to the Judeo-Christian god, or even a deity at all. It would simply mean something happened that shouldn't have been possible given my limited understanding of the way things work. So I'd say even that wouldn't convince me, but it would certainly confuse me.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 PM

1,019 posts, read 479,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Atheists only please......

Is there anything that could ever change the views you have now? Even the staunch anti-theist Christopher Hitchens admitted on 60 minutes that he wont say nthat there is nothing that could change his mind, but he has yet to see anything that could come close

This is a serious thread. If you want to make wise cracks, I would ask that you please go somwhere else. Be advised that any post or comment that dosnt contribute positively to this thread, is sarcastic or condescending, will be reported. If there is nothing that could change your mind, than a simple "nothing" post will do.
The answer to your question is quite simple.

Evidence. Scientfically collected, vetted, peer-reviewed evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no checklist, per se.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,109,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Atheists only please......

Is there anything that could ever change the views you have now? Even the staunch anti-theist Christopher Hitchens admitted on 60 minutes that he wont say nthat there is nothing that could change his mind, but he has yet to see anything that could come close

This is a serious thread. If you want to make wise cracks, I would ask that you please go somwhere else. Be advised that any post or comment that dosnt contribute positively to this thread, is sarcastic or condescending, will be reported. If there is nothing that could change your mind, than a simple "nothing" post will do.
I don't understand your tone in the second paragraph. You act as if every Atheist here is going to childishly laugh you off or requires a figurehead telling them to act maturely.

You'll find most of us are educated, mature, have degrees, professionals, actively contribute to society, - and are perfectly capable of answering a post without "you Atheist be good or I'll report you!!!"

Regarding the topic, religion is faith based, we Atheist don't operate on that wavelength. And if you think about it - neither do you (assuming you're a Theist). If you're a Christian, do you hold Odin in the same regard as the Christian God? Does it matter to you that thousands and thousands of people died 100% believing they were on their way to see him? And what about Jihadists - people who die 100% believing they were going to see their God and experience their version of heaven?

What proof is required to change your mind that Odin exists?

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,969,943 times
TheEarthBeneathMe: That is a good post. I just wonder what would happen on the Christianity subforum if one of us atheists went there and asked the Christians if there is anything that would cause them to lose their belief. No good would come of that.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,355,070 times
I don't mean to be condescending, but the question that you ask is irrelevant as well as a bit silly when viewed from an atheist's perspective. I don't believe in god for the same reason that I don't believe in the tooth fairy: I've grown up and consequently see the absurdity of the idea. There is nothing (short of regressing to a childlike mental state due to brain injury) that could ever make me believe in the tooth fairy again. So it is with god.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,667,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
If God picked you up, shook you, and set you back down again, I'm sure you would be convinced. I think there are a lot of people who think that way. I can understand, to a large degree.
Well may be not. This is because I believe Christopher Hitchens once in a debate brought up the idea of "possibility" of advanced civilizations from a different other parts of the cosmos. Basically he said that these types of societies could be so advanced that they would seem "God like" to us.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that there is a possibility that if you actually physically met "god or gods" It could just be an advanced civilization that is either mistaken for god or posing (being an imposter) of god.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
TheEarthBeneathMe: That is a good post. I just wonder what would happen on the Christianity subforum if one of us atheists went there and asked the Christians if there is anything that would cause them to lose their belief. No good would come of that.
I believe this poster also put such a thread on the Christian forum. So s/he is possibly being pretty even-handed. Anyway here's the thread.

Is there anything that could change your mind?

Going by what's said here, and elsewhere, I'm thinking the closest that may work is something like the following.

Your thumb is accidentally severed from your hand. It's put on ice and you're driven to the hospital, but during the drive you hear a voice say "It is time to believe, so know that I am your God and that I give you a new thumb." You chalk this up to stress-induced hallucination, and that you suddenly have "feeling" in your thumb you initially chalk up as a "phantom pain" situation, but when you get to the hospital you are no longer missing a thumb. This even though your original thumb is still on ice.

Granted even then an atheist I suppose could decide that it's all trick. That they never really lost their thumb and that the thumb in ice isn't really their own. Or maybe believe something weird happened, but that it's paranormal or possibly even alien super-science and that your unconscious simply came up with a "God voice" in the heat of the moment. Or the aliens did.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,667,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I believe this poster also put such a thread on the Christian forum. So s/he is possibly being pretty even-handed. Anyway here's the thread.

Is there anything that could change your mind?

Going by what's said here, and elsewhere, I'm thinking the closest that may work is something like the following.

Your thumb is accidentally severed from your hand. It's put on ice and you're driven to the hospital, but during the drive you hear a voice say "It is time to believe, so know that I am your God and that I give you a new thumb." You chalk this up to stress-induced hallucination, and that you suddenly have "feeling" in your thumb you initially chalk up as a "phantom pain" situation, but when you get to the hospital you are no longer missing a thumb. This even though your original thumb is still on ice.

Granted even then an atheist I suppose could decide that it's all trick. That they never really lost their thumb and that the thumb in ice isn't really their own. Or maybe believe something weird happened, but that it's paranormal or possibly even alien super-science and that your unconscious simply came up with a "God voice" in the heat of the moment. Or the aliens did.
Well while it would be very unlikely in reality. This person who lost his thumb and regrew it may have been able to tap the same Gene that allows certain amphibians to regrow certain body parts. And as you already stated that the "god voice" could be dismissed as a coincidence.

Or...it could be that the aliens did it.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:09 AM

5,322 posts, read 8,357,780 times
Proof. That would probably involve two-way contact with some entity that could demonstrably and measurably change the laws of physics and causality at will and upon request, in a way that can be distinguished from illusion or simply very advanced technology (since any sufficiently advanced technology is essentially magic to the uninitiated). Then this entity would have to clearly and unambiguously state that it intends for us to worship it, and in what manner, and by what principles, with sufficient non-contradictory examples that there is no room for distortion, evasion, or manipulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism