U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
LWI
 
28 posts, read 18,593 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

^^^ Hell na, too many people might want your stuff. Yall assuming people
are not motivated by greed which is dumb if you live with wall street types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,498,633 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
How exactly is god existing possible? is there something that makes you say that with reason, or is that just more of the "see how open minded and scientific I am?" game?
This is not a game. No one can logically prove it is impossible for a god to exist; therefore it is possible that a god might exist. I am not sure how to say it more simply than that. To logically claim it is impossible, you must be able to prove it is impossible.

Now, it may be possible to show that certain types of gods are logically inconsistent, but that cannot be done for all possible gods.

It is entirely possible that a god exists outside the universe. If you claim it is not possible, show how it is not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
LWI
 
28 posts, read 18,593 times
Reputation: 14
^^^ the first logical thing I've read in a long time, that ain't got prejudice or fear written all over it. What is there to fear about it all? Nothing deep down unless you deep down believe all that other stuff...a god around is not a scary thing, no more scarier than electricity that can kill you for real if you mess with it wrong.

Is gravity scary? Nope and it can't even be totally proven but we depend on it to keep our stuff together. I wanna know where these original thinkers that is thought crazy get their courage and ideas from.

Thats why I like hanging around so-call crazy people...its only them that REALLY keep you thinking about way out stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,822,980 times
Reputation: 2593
Is there anything that can change my mind? Perhaps, but I don't know what that would be. I suppose if a god presented itself before me thru "visions" or whatever, then I'd be inclined to think I was mentally ill (as a previous poster had mentioned) or maybe I'd be completely devout and start my own religion like so many others have before who have claimed divine visions. Who knows.

I don't think I'm wired to believe in the existence of supernatural beings of any sort. I do not have "the gift" of faith that believers speak of. I can't look beyond the physical realm of nature and believe in idealogical intangible beings.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,978,743 times
Reputation: 5074
That makes perfect sense to me. Simply because the existence of a god cannot be disproven does not make it likely that there is one (or two, or...). Simply becaue no one can prove that there isn't a planet-sized chunk of iridium orbiting a star somewhere in the Triangulum Galaxy doesn't mean that it is likely that there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
 
10 posts, read 4,418 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Everyone's prayers being answered would be a pretty good indication of a god.
I believe Bruce Almighty covered the enormous difficulty posed by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,498,633 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That makes perfect sense to me. Simply because the existence of a god cannot be disproven does not make it likely that there is one (or two, or...). Simply becaue no one can prove that there isn't a planet-sized chunk of iridium orbiting a star somewhere in the Triangulum Galaxy doesn't mean that it is likely that there is.
Exactly, and carrying it one step further, unlikely does not equate to impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
LWI
 
28 posts, read 18,593 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That makes perfect sense to me. Simply because the existence of a god cannot be disproven does not make it likely that there is one (or two, or...). Simply becaue no one can prove that there isn't a planet-sized chunk of iridium orbiting a star somewhere in the Triangulum Galaxy doesn't mean that it is likely that there is.
But think of the fun a scientist could have TRYING to prove it! I mean then that very thought would have you really exploring string theory...or trying to discover a way to make a more powerful way to see even further into the cosmos...and no telling what you would discover along the way...

Take away the fear and just explore the possibility...just because humans evolved thought starting with ways to feel control over a crazy Mother nature shouldn't stop thought evolving into crazy possibilities...dismiss the fear and get moving for the fun of it...

I mean who would have known there were more than 4 dimensions? And can you measure the speed of thought which might be millions of lightyears ahead of anything...or is there a dimension thought must first interact with before it reaches another person etc etc..

Shake off what god means to the human mind, in 2011 and motivate oneself to decide it could mean all that but it doesn't have to be limited to any of that at all...I mean otherwise nobody would check out god because of experiences they had dropping acid...

Are yall so entrenched in present day concepts that you can't imagine something totally different any more... teenagers are discovering love thru video games with another person who can't even speak their language face to face but that doesn't keep them from experiencing strategy, tears if their gang dies fighting a Boss or anything else thought impossible by a war world II generation. and all of that is done through something called an internet that has no physicality to point to and yell here it is!

Gawd I wish somebody had a good fairytale or theory that they tried out so I could get with the results they discovered...but anyway...nobody crazy around here or think outside the box, from thoughts you can buy from a book, or inherited from somebody ELSE stuff?...

Last edited by LWI; 06-21-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
 
1,429 posts, read 2,110,115 times
Reputation: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
This is not a game. No one can logically prove it is impossible for a god to exist; therefore it is possible that a god might exist. I am not sure how to say it more simply than that. To logically claim it is impossible, you must be able to prove it is impossible.

Now, it may be possible to show that certain types of gods are logically inconsistent, but that cannot be done for all possible gods.

It is entirely possible that a god exists outside the universe. If you claim it is not possible, show how it is not possible.

I'm curious, are these two on the same level for you, or does one have more credence than the other:

1. There's a God watching over us.
2. There's an invisible unicorn behind you as you read this.

To me, they're exactly equal. Both are equally absurd, and I don't give any one more credence than the other.

I think the difference between us is that I'm not afraid to say "that's the world of Fantasy, and I'm not going to waste my time with it."

There are billions of things that no one can logically prove impossible to exists, but to me it does not mean I automatically allow for it to exist. While you may be worrying about whether that invisible unicorn behind you just may exists, I'll laugh it off and say "what a stupid idea.."*

Don't mistake this to be an antiscience "we shouldn't investigate the world around us" way of thinking. I work in the medical field and I know how far investigation into observable phenomena has brought us - but when you get to "everyone really has 10 fingers on each hand, the other five are just invisible" - I'm not afraid to call it BS and quickly move on with my life.

*And if you're not wondering if just may be that invisible unicorn behind you actually could exist - welcome to being biased towards one particular goofy belief (God) over another. It's what happens with indoctrination, growing up in a society engrained by it, or even just giving in to that small emotional portion of us all that yearns for something bigger than ourselves, a way to reconnect with family, etc etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
LWI
 
28 posts, read 18,593 times
Reputation: 14
^^^ but the thought theres a god watching over us was a concept from somebody else and so logic tells you that because THEY believe this, this rules out the existence of a god?

whoa thats giving too much power or reaction to somebody else to define for you what a thing IS. It's like saying if you ain't watching over me cause a bunch of people wanna believe you care enough TO watch over me, and I say I don't believe that, then that proves YOU don't exist?

That is illogical to me and too dependent on a reaction of definition you are reacting to base on somebody elses thought. Just because a bunch of people believe something has some humanlike habits doesn't mean me not believing that rules out the existent of a thing.

People project all kinds of weird stuff on each other, like races that ain't true when you get to know folks of that race, or gender etc. Humans make animals look like something they can call their kid but them calling that animal their kid will never change the nature of that animal.

the dog is still a dog with a dog nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top